Savannah mufflers

John Nooyen

Guys & Gals

Please keep an eye on the welds of the muffler, especially the spot welds on the baffles, and the inlet an exhaust pipes.

Mine has been welded numerous times, and I'm sure I am not the only one.

Hi John

Came across a guy who used to work with you at Philtronic...Peter Davies he said to say hello and wants to catch up with you I can send his email to you if you want. There is also a issue with the exhaust burning through the cowl on the new savs. Laurie Strickland has come up with a great fix for it attached are the pics I took of it. I have seen another new factory built one that has the same issue and this seems to be a great fix and also would get more cool air flow into the cowl.

Mark

DSC_3861_1.jpg.648338d8697e71771a9ecbd98fda20e0.jpg

DSC_3862_1.jpg.1764707266a5a7e378a03002dcecdf32.jpg

Hi John

I had issues with my muffler the internal baffles came adrift and the welds cracked around the feed tubes. The previous owner had had it repaired but it still fell apart. Ater repairing it myself have put a couple of hundred hours on the plane all good.

\

Dave

Yes David.

There are quite a few large bracings around the muffler that pull pipes apart due uneven heating/cooling.

Most of the supports and bracing on mine have been removed, so no more cracks.

The baffles seem to be only tack welded, so the tacks are breaking free.

I'm thinking of starting an account with the aircraft welders at Archerfield.

Mine has 750 hours on it now, but it needs to be thoroughly inspected every 50 hrs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ozzie

Bumped into an old skydiving mate that dropped into our DZ yesterday and he told me of his fathers New Savannah being now built in Newcastle. They are really pleased with the quality of the kit and ease at which it is going together. All holes line up perfectly. Apparently wings done and fuse now coming together. This is the first of the new model with a different fuse.

Builders name is McClaine. Not a forum member.

e