Yaw/twist issues Airborne Classic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Make sure the gap between the mast and the hang bracket is completely closed. Ie, you should not be able to see any hint of hangbolt between the mast and the bracket. Tighten the wingnut up by hand preferably to ensure the gap is closed down. My SST wing had a gap because a washer was missing therefore not allowing the nut to tighten properly. This caused an exagerated left hand twist on take off, particularly at full power. Under the right conditions, the yaw was exagerated by a widening gap. I have now closed this gap and significantly reduced the yaw/twist on take off. Mine goes to the left rather than the right as in yours. I believe the difference is related to the torque of the engine which in the two stroke is to the left where as in the four stroke it is to the right.

Bluey.

Bluey - thanks mate for the info. When I contacted Airborne sometime ago they recommended to tighten up the wing nut quite tight which is similar to your advice, but I did not check for the gap etc. Cheers will have a look.

As I have mentioned previously I have some movement(1-2mm) in the upper portion of the mast which could be minimized by tightening the forward, aft and lateral bolts shown in your pic above. This has made some improvement but my gut feeling is that their is some play or wear which has occured from flying in some heavy turb last year which could be easily sorted by replacment of the mast. However I have 200 AFHRS to run before mandatory replacemtn and I am happy to monitor in the mean time. Recently I did a check flight with the CFI and he was not that concerned with the yaw issues.

Anyway thanks again.... Regards Footy