skyfox wings 21 through 25N

foxworker

Hi PaulWhen were the aileron centering eye bolt, wire and spring setups fitted to the Skyfox and do you know why they fitted these?

Cheers

Mike

Apologies for such a late response, sorry I cannot help you with your question. I would try Carl, carlsnilsson on this forum. Thanks Paul.

Neil,Apologies for the response time. I do know what you are referring to so I don't require photos. The glue that was used in the factory was polytac. Iwould be using the same. Google the product and you should be able to get a good idea on how to go about your repairs. The other person who would be of help to you is carlsnilsson via this forum. Thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I will follow it up as suggested.

Cheers

Neil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
G'day Mike:Either my brain (?) has gone to sleep or I'm not familiar with the "TG" in CA25TG. I presume that's a taildragger CA25 -yes? If all the aileron hangars snapped and the wing struts ruptured, it would seem that the left wing took a pretty severe impact. Did the fabric tear above the fuel tank in the bay nearest the fuselage - that would indicate a fair amount of shear on the wing which may have bent the spars - or at least the front spar. Also, take a look at the wing attachment points.

On the other hand, I have a friend with a Fox that hit power lines on final approach and nose-dived into the ground. He and his wings were undamaged, although the fuselage needed some repair. It flies beautifully today.

Carl

Hi Carl, been a while since we corresponded - I chased that CA25 up and was booked to go and have a final inspection when the day before the owner rang and said that he was going to keep the plane and repair it himself. Gave up at that time and have since bought a Sonerai Stretch from a bloke in W.A . Its now at home in Orange. Thanks for the information and support & sorry for taking so long to get back to you and let you know what was happening. I think I'll look at getting a Kitfox kit from America and build one from scratch! Thanks again. Mike.

Hi Paul,I think I must be on an other planet! The number I looked at was the serial number!!!

Yes, I think its probably the same one - I'll be in touch!

Mike.

Hi Paul,

Sorry I have not been in touch earlier - the CA 25 sale I was looking at fell through - the owner rang me the day before I was going to do a final inspection and make him an offer and said he'd decided to repair it himself! Thanks for the help offerred. I've given up on a Skyfox and bought a Sonerai from a guy in Western Australia and it is now back home in Orange. I'm thinking of buying a Kitfox kit from America and building one from scratch as they are virtually the same aircraft as the Skyfox and have a good rugged reputation! Thanks for the advice and time spent & sorry to have taken so long in getting back to you, regards, Mike.

• 2 years later...
If I can be of any assistance to anyone with respect to skyfox wings, repairs, rebuilding etc. feel free to ask me any questions. I built pretty much all of the Gazelle wings, updated and re-wrote the specs. for them, and know them inside out. Also have access to the covering process and the fellow who did the covering in the factory. Repairing 'fox wings including hangar brackets, trailing edge sections, epoxy joints, drag braces etc. isn't rocket science however if you're going to do it yourself and you're not an L2, you need the correct info. and the correct proceedures on how to go about it. I've read some pretty disturbing comments written by people fixing their wings obviously not really knowing what they're doing. I am happy to help anyone who is prepared to listen and do it properly. cheers.

Hi Foxworker.Am I correct in stating that the wing assy has a 4000hr limit?? but what about time??is there a year limit..Thanks Richard..

Hi Richard,

Mate I believe the wings have a 4000 hour life. I have never come across yearly hour limits., good point though, especially with the wing structures. If I were purchasing a 'fox that had lived most of its life outdoors, in "harshish" conditions, I would certainly be doing a thorough inspection of sorts. cheers paul.

• 7 months later...
If I can be of any assistance to anyone with respect to skyfox wings, repairs, rebuilding etc. feel free to ask me any questions. I built pretty much all of the Gazelle wings, updated and re-wrote the specs. for them, and know them inside out. Also have access to the covering process and the fellow who did the covering in the factory. Repairing 'fox wings including hangar brackets, trailing edge sections, epoxy joints, drag braces etc. isn't rocket science however if you're going to do it yourself and you're not an L2, you need the correct info. and the correct proceedures on how to go about it. I've read some pretty disturbing comments written by people fixing their wings obviously not really knowing what they're doing. I am happy to help anyone who is prepared to listen and do it properly. cheers.

Hi Paul I have recently purchased a Fox and one aileron hanger bracket has broken, three have been replaced with aluminium ones, what grade do I use, are there kits available and the proses please advise, regards Philip 0416446421

Hi Paul I have recently purchased a Fox and one aileron hanger bracket has broken, three have been replaced with aluminium ones, what grade do I use, are there kits available and the proses please advise, regards Philip 0416446421

Give Tony Kerr at Gympie Aero Maint (Qld) a call. He should be able to help.

• 7 months later...
Guest debra stewart

Hi Foxworker, could you please explain to me about the gazelle wings re: breathing from where? I have looked at the fuel caps and they don't seem to look like they allow the wings to breathe. What happens with the fuel fumes etc? I have had my plane for nearly 3 years now and this has never been explained to me, in fact I only found out about it a couple of days ago. That's the trouble with students, if you don't know the question to ask, you never get an answer ! thankyou, debb

Guest debra stewart
Hi Foxworker, could you please explain to me about the gazelle wings re: breathing from where? I have looked at the fuel caps and they don't seem to look like they allow the wings to breathe. What happens with the fuel fumes etc? I have had my plane for nearly 3 years now and this has never been explained to me, in fact I only found out about it a couple of days ago. That's the trouble with students, if you don't know the question to ask, you never get an answer ! thankyou, debb

I have a manual but pieces of it are missing and it is extremely frustrating as I don't have many people to help me.

Anything you can tell me that you may think has not been passed on by my instructor I'd be grateful. I know that makes it hard but things about a skyfox gazelle in particular because the instructors down here, between them all, do not own one so gazelle info which you think may be vitally important would be great. thankyou again, debb

Guest debra stewart
I have a manual but pieces of it are missing and it is extremely frustrating as I don't have many people to help me.Anything you can tell me that you may think has not been passed on by my instructor I'd be grateful. I know that makes it hard, but things about a skyfox gazelle in particular, because the instructors down here, between them all, do not own one, so gazelle info which you think may be vitally important, would be great. thankyou again, debb

• 2 months later...

Is Tony Kerr still around ? If anyone would like any info about controllability and the incident itself please feel free to ask , I was flying the CA25n at Maroochy in 2000 (I think) that had the aileron detach . Not sure my poor student would have taken up flying as a career ;(

• 2 months later...
Is Tony Kerr still around ? If anyone would like any info about controllability and the incident itself please feel free to ask , I was flying the CA25n at Maroochy in 2000 (I think) that had the aileron detach . Not sure my poor student would have taken up flying as a career ;(

Any pics of the fail points?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Foxworker, regarding getting a Gazelle checked over in Melbourne, can you suggest anyone? As an alternative, do you do this for people or have a suggestion in the Brisbane area? Cheers, Frank

• 5 months later...
And last question, ('till next time), can anyone suggest where a person could buy the rubber donuts that go in the nose wheel strut?

Hi Mate

Get onto Coastal Aviation they just supplied me with engine mounts and should be able to supply donuts.

https://coastalaviation.com.au/

Cheers

• Like 1

The Gazelle is one of the easiest planes to fly ever built. It has an undercambered wing  which limit's it's safe speed, especially when dynamically loaded to 85 knots. Go faster and the wing tries to twist too much. The aileron mechanism  and supports must be regularly inspected as well as the elevator actuating horn.. IF you can't fly one of these, give up, but any plane can kill you. They were really popular about 20 years ago. Nev

• Like 1

Yes it seems happiest at around 75 Kn. An ideal hour builder as it takes hours to get anywhere. However the cost per hour is cheap and I think there are a few flying schools still running them. It took 8 hours flying time into a 20 kn headwind to get it from Moruya to Melb. Following the road, I was impressed when I raced past a truck. Only to realise he was changing a Tyre. (A little exaggerated but not far off).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2