Affordable GPS

This is for those of you who want an extremely user friendly and relatively cheap GPS unit that gives you all of the functionality of some of the more expensive units. Some time ago I purchased a Navman S80 GPS unit. I initially approached Navman about Aviation applications for the unit and in short they did not want to know anything about it. After some searching I found links to an application called MIO Pocket(it's completely free), these links are available on the Pajero 4wd club of Victoria site. The application is free however it does rely on OziExplorer for map conversions etc. OziExplorer CE is the program needed for the Navman to readmaps and give GPS functionality to MIO Pocket OziCE cost me about $40.00 the Navman cost about $260.00 from memory. If you Have a Navman I would highly recommend this upgrade as MIO Pocket turns it into a hand held computer. Give it a go I think you will be more than pleased with it.

RickH

P.S. and before you ask, no I am not in any way associated with any of the above mentioned organisations I just like to help out my fellow flying friends.

And you can read a hell of a lot about it here http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/cheap-navigation-mio-moov-and-oziexplorerce.6042/Thanks to Slarti & others (I'm a convert using a Navman S50)

Cheers

Dexter

Good on you Dexter Starti and others you guys are obviously on to it I unlocked my mates Navman MY50T the other day and we took it for a fly around the Mossman Daintree area this morning needless to say he is now a convert.

RickH

I just converted my MY60T Navman. Works great but I'd recommend MioPocket Lite for those that just want the Oziexplorer app. MioPocket has way too much stuff in it if all you want is the moving map application.

I purchased a Geopilot plus 2 from Ian recently, not overly expensive and works really well. Believe it or not it has saved me money already. 3 aircraft flew down to K.I. from ASC Gawler and as this was my first effort with GPS, I put in shortest FP. cut off .4 hour from our normal landmark to landmark trip. (I still had maps and FP worked out if needed). .4 of an hour equated to $50.00 thank you very much. I was mightily impressed, should not take long to recoup cost at that rate.