Alternator winding

Vev

My alternator died today and I think it has failed owing to overloading. The earlier Jabs had a 10 pole (which I have) and was upgraded to a 12 pole (as fitted to the 6 cyl engine) which increased the amps from 8 to 18 amps.

I have a spare 10 pole alternator, which I will fit tomorrow, but I was thinking about having the burnt one rewound…. However I was wondering (need help?) if it would be possible to have an additional layer of winding put on each pole to increase the output and reduce the load?

p-164399222.htm.jpg

Of course I could upgrade to the 18amp 12 pole but there is a need to replace the stator and other components, which is not cheap.

Happy to hear any ideas?

Cheers

Vev

I can most likely get it rewound for you.I would look at limiting the output to save the windings. Thicker windings will carry the current but the number of turns would have an effect on the output as well. You can't have both as you run out of room. Nev

If you are in Melbourne give "City auto electrics" a ring . They are in Coburg at (03) 93506677 , they repair/rewind all kinds of motorcycle alternator windings. I used them for 15 years or more when I had a motorcycle shop...They are VERY knowledgeable ..............Never had a comeback from them...

Thanks Nev/Geoff,

Many years ago I use to have motorcycle alternators rewound, as the new Jap replacements were very expensive... lost count how many I had done.

I fitted my spare alternator today but haven't run it yet but will try and do tomorrow or thursday and make sure I have charge with all of my systems on.

The poles are quite far apart and there seems to be a reasonable amount of room to carry more windings or may be heavier wire, however it really needs an expert eye to look at it.

I will give City Aust Elec tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Cheers

Vev

If they are using the Kubota style, we Corvair guys are using a tried and tested John Deere Alternator/Dynamo with seperate regulator. You can see the picture of mine on my website. Many hundreds of hours have been flown on this setup and its 20amp.

Scotty

• 2 weeks later...

I went and met with City Auto Electrics yesterday (nice chaps) and they have confirmed they can place an extra set of windings on the alternator without increasing the wire gage size.... They seem to think that 12 amps output was quite possible. The only issue is too ensure there is enough clearance between the windings and the rotor as the pole size will grow because of the extra winding, which I will measure this weekend.

In the mean time I have installed my spare alternator and things are going fine, however it is marginally over loaded with all of my electrical system running.... the strobes are the killers.

CAE also commented on the reg/rectifier and suggested there were better units on the market and thought an upgraded should be considered, although it wasn't a firm recommendation. Never the less I bought one and will install this over the weekend too.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Vev

• 5 years later...

Speaking of alternators. A mates alternator (see pic) failed. It's from a Camit engine. The diodes, slip rings and brushes are all good. The fault is two wires have broken off deep inside the stator winding. When I was a lad stuff like this would be repaired at a reasonable price. There were two motor rewinding shops in my suburb back in the 70s. It seems a pity to chuck the unit. Any suggestions?

alternator.jpg.4f51db78219b7beb4339d032eeadf30a.jpg