Recreational Flying GPS

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff Ian. I'll take a 5" one when there a goer.

Ian I want a flat card compass also, can you give me some info. on them please.

Cheers Davo.

Update on pricing

Things are looking like the units will be offered as a "Base" unit and then "Options" for you to choose from...options like different aviation packages that contain different software and extra like WAC Charts, ERSA, Planning etc

Base units will come with pre-installed applications of Street Navigation (with choice of voices), Calculator, Video Player, Photo Gallery, Music Player, EBook Reader and more

Base Unit Prices may end up being:

5" GPS - $199

7" GPS - $299

Then packages with different software combinations of your choice like Oziexplorer $x, Oziexplorer and 3 WAC Chart Maps $y, Oziexplorer PC - Oziexplorer CE - WAC Charts $z...If you have any applications already that work on a Windows CE device, to upload and use them yourself without having to purchase them again with the unit...the cheapest price possible and giving you the freedom of choice to suit your needs...and remember, purchases go towards helping to keep this site alive and growing

• 2 weeks later...

After some serious testing and the need to have the Recreational Flying GPS units to be better then anything else I have made some more minor spec changes to the units with the 3rd version being shipped to us today...This one should be perfect for everyone's needs. It should be here early next week, then 2 days of testing the new specs I will then be placing an order for 100 units which will take about 2 weeks to arrive.

One of the changes to the spec was the ability for the unit to be mounted either by the suction cup mount or to be mounted flat on your panel by simply 2 screws through a flat mount...these will come with the units and sold as an extra as well if you have more then one aircraft or use the suction mount in the car and want a flat mount on your aircraft panel

The software is coming along nicely as well.

I have also been able to source a sun glare cover for the units so in situations where you have a lot of sun, the unit is covered for better viewing...(click the images for bigger pictures)

1034160358_FILE0320800x600.jpg.bc2285025582b17e60b6516a84c2ff25.jpg

177943092_FILE0308800x600.jpg.5d56374624ece424fcb0b26fc7b024bb.jpg

• Like 1

Here are some preliminary screen shots...note just the prelims though...

When you first turn the unit on the Recreational Flying Logo is shown and then the main menu is displayed...from the first screen you can select either Aviation GPS (e.g. Oziexplorer with Wac charts) or Car Navigation (for streets with friendly voice turn here etc)

Here is the first screen you will see but note that you can freely add shortcuts to the first screen or any of the menus to any application that you install on the GPS and you can change the colours and background to your choice:

Favourites.gif.b711009fffaff577902f38eab44483ce.gif

You can then select by pressing a category menu item across the top or using your finger slide across the screen through each of the sections

Here is the Games Menu:

Games.gif.5a6eed20f7f3faeec47312ec7af84117.gif

Here is the Office Menu:

Office.gif.88730531cbaeeede4084fd70d76a673f.gif

and here is the Tools Menu

Tools.gif.efa0a77908a86a88edc37d31009fb2f5.gif

Hey Ian,

Am I right is thinking you have had a lot of fun in putting this sort of stuff together?!

I have very little idea about any of the technologies you speak of, but it's still been an enjoyable thread to read!

cm

Hey Ian,Am I right is thinking you have had a lot of fun in putting this sort of stuff together?!

I have very little idea about any of the technologies you speak of, but it's still been an enjoyable thread to read!

cm

Yep...I reckon I am :big_grin:

How does Duck Hunt work on a touch screen device? 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

It's darn hard...only shot 2 ducks in the first game...you have to be quick

Do you tap the screen as the ducks fly past? Or do you have to direct the crosshairs here and there then hit a separate 'fire' button?Just curious, that's all... augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

You have to tap the ducks which is why you have to quick and predict their flight path

Yes it does have terrain warning when flying VFR as it has a bigger screen in front of you and screens to the left and right of you :big_grin:...sorry, my attempt at humour...no it doesn't have terrain warning like the expensive units although you have made me think of something...will make a call on Monday to a software vendor and see if their software will work on a WindowsCE unit...probably not but on the "off chance" it's worth a try.

These 5" units don't have a link up to get live data but they will connect to your PC through a USB cable where you can upload any files or applications that will work with WindowsCE including pdf files (it has a pdf viewer application), word, excel and powerpoint files converted for CE, outlook contacts, mail, tasks and appointments and many others.

I intend to have a forum here where users can swap helpful hints and tips, what applications they are using, what settings they use, enhancements that they make etc which will help each owner of the unit to get the best out of them...can't get better support then that...I think.

Oh, also I have dropped the 7" version of the GPS and instead it will be a 7" Electronic Flight Bag Tablet PC that can be mounted on your panel which will enable you to get live data as you are flying using 3G (inc NextG) and it will also come in a 10" version although not easily mountable in an aircraft but can also be used at home and in the office as well. I got the email on the price of the 7" this morning...it included a 3G and NextG sim card slot...I told them to go and check their pricing again :)

Yes it does have terrain warning when flying VFR as it has a bigger screen in front of you and screens to the left and right of you :big_grin:...sorry, my attempt at humour...no it doesn't have terrain warning like the expensive units although you have made me think of something...will make a call on Monday to a software vendor and see if their software will work on a WindowsCE unit...probably not but on the "off chance" it's worth a try.These 5" units don't have a link up to get live data but they will connect to your PC through a USB cable where you can upload any files or applications that will work with WindowsCE including pdf files (it has a pdf viewer application), word, excel and powerpoint files converted for CE, outlook contacts, mail, tasks and appointments and many others.

I intend to have a forum here where users can swap helpful hints and tips, what applications they are using, what settings they use, enhancements that they make etc which will help each owner of the unit to get the best out of them...can't get better support then that...I think.

Oh, also I have dropped the 7" version of the GPS and instead it will be a 7" Electronic Flight Bag Tablet PC that can be mounted on your panel which will enable you to get live data as you are flying using 3G (inc NextG) and it will also come in a 10" version although not easily mountable in an aircraft but can also be used at home and in the office as well. I got the email on the price of the 7" this morning...it included a 3G and NextG sim card slot...I told them to go and check their pricing again :)

Thanks Ian, I am looking to replace my Garmin 196 and would be keen on an Aussie product

I went to edit my post but you beat me with your reply...

My thoughts were that the 5" GPS unit is for those that want a basic GPS as cheap as possible...although these units will have extras that you can have with a WindowsCE Operating System they are targeted as a GPS unit.

I then thought that if you were going to go for a 7" unit then why not make it more powerful as a unit of that size has the ability to provide more then just a GPS. This is why I am going for an ipad type of unit that you can use for browsing the internet, reading on the train, getting live data and still be portable enough for you to mount on your panel.

Carrying the thought of the 7" unit further, the next thing is the 10" ipad type of device. 10" is still ok to have in an aircraft...on the passenger seat, door pocket, strapped to your leg as a kneeboard or even in some cases mounted somehow. However, the power of this unit is not just as a electronic flight bag with a GPS and 3G (NextG) communication device, but also with a portable keyboard for use at home, at work, carry around etc. I have my ipad which is about 10" on the coffee table and the wife/kids are always using it whilst watching tv, in bed etc. So it is a unit that has multiple uses whilst both flying and when not flying.

If I am wrong in my thoughts then please let me know

I received the final version of the 5" Recreational Flying GPS unit today...it has all our modifications done to it...it is slightly heavier as after the technician looked at it made some recomendations like thicker circuit board, stronger USB connector and more which will set these units apart from some of the rubbish that you can get on ebay etc.

The screen is still resistive type but the improvements we wanted has the screen much much better with a nice touch and feel...not to sensitive to touch or requiring a very firm finger press...and your finger glides across the screen really nice as well. The brightness and reflection has also been improved from the previous test units that we got and the mount has been improved for stronger fixing to a panel by 4 screws now instead of 2 making it attach firmly and flat on an aircraft's instrument panel...there is also the suction mount if you prefer to use that.

I must say that it is a really nice unit now and built to last to our own specs.

The one shortcoming I have now is the sunlight cover...I am not happy with the way it attaches to the unit. I spoke to the manufacturers of that this morning and they are going to change it but they will have to make a new mould to change it to what I want so a couple of days delay in them but won't imapct the overall delivery of in about 2 weeks.

Here are some pictures that I took of the unit sitting on my children's trampoline outside this afternoon of Oziexplorer installed and MapTrax Melbourne WAC Chart...the last one shows the unit with full light reflection and you can still see the map...I am pretty happy with that:

1398253358_013800x600.jpg.4bfe9f2582caf595a2174bf1635f319a.jpg

Here it is with reflection as the picture is taken on an angle to get sunlight reflection to make sure it is still readable:

1067631404_006800x600.jpg.7af03a76d8a8983df6e89181f4de6517.jpg

734150214_004800x600.jpg.fd357b8d8afe248b850c4b3da35fed8f.jpg

1634042984_005800x600.jpg.468083a173f48152c0cc71e645802566.jpg

1841805099_007800x600.jpg.abd40580d7d1c27b1b01f94271528bac.jpg

952543620_008800x600.jpg.6fd705bf30384df7ebdb85d5f241a94b.jpg

1839860217_009800x600.jpg.aa8389ef69039fc9c5598c16281ebaed.jpg

1605741544_010800x600.jpg.0cd37039034e8377f5cc74eb73a42d62.jpg

44174096_011800x600.jpg.5ca54e7cc572eecd8cea3a35b7b76d4b.jpg

824253942_012800x600.jpg.b454e533ade7bef81c29fe1317c6cf2e.jpg

Hi Ian,

Your pics shows the unit displaying speed in km/h. Are these able to be changed to Knots (and altitude in metres to feet)?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Thanks

Hi Ian,Your pics shows the unit displaying speed in km/h. Are these able to be changed to Knots (and altitude in metres to feet)?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Thanks

Yes mate...this is just the default install...easy to change the settings yourself and sorry, I should have done that before I took the pictures but wanted to test the new screen in sunlight so I didn't set anything up on it

Ian,I have been using Ozexplorer ce for while and can send you my page file if it is of any use.

Thanks mate...yes please...I am hoping by having a forum here for users of the units that there will be a lot of swapping ideas, apps, helpful hints, settings, support etc...a bit like the way Open Source software is developed.

Also forgot to add...the units have AV in so if you are using in your car you can plug in a rear camera to view what is happening behind your car when reversing, it has 4gig of built in storage for all your favourite pictures and songs, songs which in fact you can tune your FM car radio into the GPS and listen to them through your car stereo. Plus, it has improved GPS Satellite reception with a plastic instead of metal receiver panel at the top of the unit.

40085692_002800x600.jpg.d426218533bca364e63b54c80ede7c7c.jpg

The factory has commenced manufacturing the units so they should be dispatched next week.

The Recreational Flying 5" GPS unit includes:

• 5" TFT touch screen

• YF 82F 533 MHz SIRF ATLAS V processor

• Microsoft WindowsCE version 6.0

• 128mb DDR memory

• 4gig Flash memory for files and fast start of applications etc

• SD Card slot which allows up to an extra 8gig of storage space with a not-included 8gig SD card

• AV input

• USB input

• Earphone input

• Stylus pencil which stores neatly into the unit itself

• GPS Satellite receiver enhanced cover

• Speaker for turn by turn voice car navigation and listening to music etc

• FM transmitter

• Rechargeable li-n battery 1300mAh for maximum time before charge is needed

Included extras:

• Lots of free software including Office apps, PDF Reader, Video Player, Photo Gallery/Viewer, Calculator, iGO Street navigator with turn by turn voice instructions, loads of games, Flight Planner and much much more

• 12v Cig lighter charger

• 240v Power charger

• Suction mount stand

• Cradle

• USB cable

• Earphone

• Touch pen

• Screen protector

• Sun visor

• Manual

• Warranty (1 year)

Price: only $175 now confirmed

Options so far are:

OziexplorerCE $39.95

MapTrax Charts for Oziexplorer $8.95 ea

Spare flat mount crade for mounting GPS directly onto panel $8.95

*more options to follow

The 7" units will also be in the same shipment however I am waiting on confirmation of the extras that will be available with them however, the 7" units DO NOT have AV input or a Sun Visor but I am trying to source aftermarket visors, but can't get any cheap ones to fit nicely the way I would want them to. The 7" units also have slightly more reflection due to them having a glass panel across the front...there are only 3 factories that make 7" GPS units and they all have glass front panels now. The 7" units will most likely be $225

2.jpg.ccd7fb4d5445e57398808a03c639e681.jpg

We are also getting 7" and 10" Tablet PCs with GPS, Bluetooth, Sim Card slot for phone/data and more also with Android operating system and multi touch capacitive screens

Oh, also...a representative from the factory is a member of this site

95564032_001800x600.jpg.c9feefbb5c9079db03dddd05d89fc0f1.jpg

........I have dropped the 7" version of the GPS and instead it will be a 7" Electronic Flight Bag Tablet PC that can be mounted on your panel which will enable you to get live data as you are flying using 3G (inc NextG) and it will also come in a 10" version although not easily mountable in an aircraft but can also be used at home and in the office as well.......

EFB's appear to be gaining favour overseas as the sole source of paper (See AvWeb article below) so perhaps we might see them approved here sometime this millenium?

ALASKA AIRLINES OK'S IPAD FOR COCKPIT

Alaska Airlines is now giving iPads to all of its pilots to replace 25 pounds of flight manuals. "We've been exploring the idea of an electronic flight bag for several years, but never found a device we really liked," said Gary Beck, Alaska Airlines' vice president of flight operations. "When the iPad hit the market, we took one look at it and said this is the perfect fit." By mid-June, all of the airline's pilots will have iPads. The airline is also exploring using the iPad to replace paper aeronautical charts. The airline said the iPad will eventually eliminate up to 50 pounds of paper per cockpit, saving on fuel costs and reducing back and muscle injuries to overloaded pilots. More...

kaz

The Recreational Flying 5" GPS unit

Hi Ian.

You can put me down for one of these 5" units please, along with the 'vertical card compass' as well,025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif thanks mate

Cheers Davo.

I've never had a real GPS, or used flight planning software, so this may be a basic sort of question.

I recently got told about AirNav VFR which allows you to plan then print maps, and then it can load that into a GPS. I don't yet know how that works, but the question is, would a 7" Recreational Flying GPS work with this?

Ryan