Recreational Flying GPS

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do we order these anyway?

Once they arrive and checked they will be added into the shop and I will announce here that they are available

I've never had a real GPS, or used flight planning software, so this may be a basic sort of question.I recently got told about AirNav VFR which allows you to plan then print maps, and then it can load that into a GPS. I don't yet know how that works, but the question is, would a 7" Recreational Flying GPS work with this?

Ryan

As for AirNav I haven't got that far yet however there are other people here on the site that use AirNav so perhaps they may be able to answer you better at this stage

The units have been named and the opening screens sent to the Manufacturer

The 5" is model number GPS 125a

The 7" is model number GPS 175a

These are the opening screens you will see flash up on the units when you turn them on before they display the menu:

1058955454_GPS175a.jpg.45d3f5e67b2ccaf5b08cbec47c86b6ba.jpg

and they will have printed on the bottom middle of the unit our swirly logo and Recreational Flying and the model number printed in small characters at the top right of the unit

Just trying to keep you updated

1863179196_GPS125a.jpg.534e3157405408159f915636e69a3af3.jpg

I've never had a real GPS, or used flight planning software, so this may be a basic sort of question.I recently got told about AirNav VFR which allows you to plan then print maps, and then it can load that into a GPS. I don't yet know how that works, but the question is, would a 7" Recreational Flying GPS work with this?

Ryan

AirNav VFR out of the box will not interface with this product which is based on Oziexplorer. AirNav VFR competes with Oziexplorer in the market place therefore there is little incentive for AirNav VFR to interface with Oziexplorer.

Having said that, there is an opportunity for someone to develop a module which could convert the data AirNav normally exports into a GPS and load it into Oziexplorer thus making AirNav at least partly compatible with this unit.

This may be a good challenge for someone to exercise the 'self help' spirit which this site is trying to foster.

Ian,

Can you please provide a little more information re the street navigation data on these units. Who is the data source? How up-to-date is it? What is the process for keeping it up to date?

I understand the aviation part of it all, I'm just curious about the 'street map' side when and if I choose to use it in my car.

The units have been named and the opening screens sent to the ManufacturerThe 5" is model number GPS 125a

The 7" is model number GPS 175a

These are the opening screens you will see flash up on the units when you turn them on before they display the menu:

[ATTACH]14025[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14026[/ATTACH]

and they will have printed on the bottom middle of the unit our swirly logo and Recreational Flying and the model number printed in small characters at the top right of the unit

Just trying to keep you updated

Very exciting stuff Ian, and I'm in the market for a 5" unit.

Pud

Ian,Can you please provide a little more information re the street navigation data on these units. Who is the data source? How up-to-date is it? What is the process for keeping it up to date?

I understand the aviation part of it all, I'm just curious about the 'street map' side when and if I choose to use it in my car.

The units come free with iGO street navigation software pre-loaded but you can install any WindowsCE navigation software on it that you like/buy/own and use that if you like...you could use Route 66, or CoPilot Live...for aviation offcourse you could also go for FMSPocket...everyone has different needs, wants, likes on software and applications so this is why I focused on the hardware getting a good unit that would be versatile for the apps. I have installed CoPilot Live on one of the test units but that costs money to subscribe. I would to start with have a look at the iGo app and see if you like it and if so use it for a while untill you find/hear about another one and as time progresses what options I can get sorted out with deals etc and decide which one suits your needs in both information and pocket. this is also why I want to get the forum going for discussions like this as users will find options themselves and share with the community...does that help?

The units come free with iGO street navigation software pre-loaded but you can install any WindowsCE navigation software on it that you like/buy/own and use that if you like...you could use Route 66, or CoPilot Live...for aviation offcourse you could also go for FMSPocket...everyone has different needs, wants, likes on software and applications so this is why I focused on the hardware getting a good unit that would be versatile for the apps. I have installed CoPilot Live on one of the test units but that costs money to subscribe. I would to start with have a look at the iGo app and see if you like it and if so use it for a while untill you find/hear about another one and as time progresses what options I can get sorted out with deals etc and decide which one suits your needs in both information and pocket. this is also why I want to get the forum going for discussions like this as users will find options themselves and share with the community...does that help?

Thanks Ian. That answers my questions.

Airnav produces flight plan files and waypoint files in Ozi Ce format. I plan with Airnav and load the files into the GPS no problems.

AirNav VFR exports it's waypoints and route data into the G7toWin program (distributed with AirNav VFR). G7toWin can directly upload that data into Garmin, Lowrance/Eagle and Magellan GPS units via the COM or USB ports. WindowsCE devices are not listed for direct upload.

Dentist, please post the steps you use to directly upload custom route and waypoint data from AirNav VFR to a WindowsCE device. If it's simple to do, we've just made good progress.

Easy, when you have created a plan in Airnav and saved it, click on the GPS button (buttons on the second row), Airnav will ask if you want to save as a rte file (which is an Oziexplorer route file). Click save, then Airnav will ask if you want to save a wpt file (a Ozi waypoint file) click save. All you need to do is copy those two files from Airnav into the data folder of Ozi and go flying. Bring up the route in Ozi and the route and waypoints are all there. I use a card reader to transfer files, just copy and paste dead easy.

Easy, when you have created a plan in Airnav and saved it, click on the GPS button (buttons on the second row), Airnav will ask if you want to save as a rte file (which is an Oziexplorer route file). Click save, then Airnav will ask if you want to save a wpt file (a Ozi waypoint file) click save. All you need to do is copy those two files from Airnav into the data folder of Ozi and go flying. Bring up the route in Ozi and the route and waypoints are all there. I use a card reader to transfer files, just copy and paste dead easy.

Thanks for the info. I expect it may be possible to connect the GPS unit to the computer via the included USB cable. This way the flight plan and waypoint files could be saved directly from AirNav VFR to the GPS unit, obviating the need to transfer files via memory cards.

Thanks for the info. I expect it may be possible to connect the GPS unit to the computer via the included USB cable. This way the flight plan and waypoint files could be saved directly from AirNav VFR to the GPS unit, obviating the need to transfer files via memory cards.

Could easily do it that way. I find it just as quick to cut and paste onto the card.

I received the Art Work for the GPS units that show the name on the front, the opening screen and the model number on the top right...looking really good:

437005725_7X10800x600.jpg.8b6d4272e06df71de7cf47651b94bf10.jpg

Here are some screen shots from the 5" unit...firstly the free pdf viewer:

159033760_PDFViewer.jpg.ee928ab6eec001631f25189f6c261375.jpg

and the free Flight Planner that you can use on your PC and transfer the plan to the unit or create a flight plan on the unit iteslf:

1741352077_FlightPlanner3.gif.0c93d5345835244e14ecf43298e72237.gif

1159232830_FlightPlanner1.gif.c9dfa90694a99992e69d62b2dcfa4441.gif

883688251_FlightPlanner2.gif.705206c1a6b1678346be06e16ed7a946.gif

• Like 1

Yes, it will run Excel and Word and Powerpoint...lite versions and the Flight Planner that will come with it is extremely powerful and will run on the Recreational Flying GPS

AirNav will also be offered as an option with it advance flight planning capabilities and moving map WAC charts etc...offered at a discounted price when purchasing a Recreational Flying GPS unit...I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago but now you guys have found a way to upload them onto the units I will test that out...the units use either mass storage device connection (like plugging in a memory stick into your PC's USB port) or, it will use Microsoft Windows Active Sync as well, each way makes it easy to transfer files between your PC and the GPS

Also spoke to Jeppeson last week and their mobile solution isn't ready for the Australian market yet but we have registered interest to try and hurry them along.

Also found an E6B for the units so I will am testing that

If you know of any other free pilot apps that would be good to have pre-installed on the units please PM me to let me know to look into

Great news...the Recreational Flying GPS units have been manufactured and shipped...we expect delivery probably Monday or so...right on target.

Once they arrive we will need to remove the default menu system that is pre-installed on the units and replace it with our own customised menu using MioPocket and then install our aviation components onto them...those that just want a base unit to either use for the car or want to customise the units themselves to what they would like will be supplied with the default menu screen as shown in the following pictures.

The redesigned Sun Shade for the 5" units have come up fantastic with a real nice fit and don't forget the units come with a suction mount to use in either your car or aircraft and you can purchase an extra flat mount holder so you can screw it onto your panel and leave the suction mount in the car.

Front view of the 5" with the Sun Shade on and the opening screen:

473397375_IMG_8164800x600.jpg.0db67b6c81dc27ff12730b77ab6b47bb.jpg

Other pictures of the 5" unit:

596305787_IMG_8159800x600.jpg.0800e01f08f115e0c0dfb67786bd8299.jpg

The 5" Sun Shade:

1638899197_IMG_8176800x600.jpg.b74c10049b2c54bdb762d38001ea29d7.jpg

The 7" unit:

223527004_IMG_8167800x600.jpg.5867e6c0e96cb7f5a0b037d6ce1a4017.jpg

Need to get cracking on writing the comprehensive Manual now...hope you like what you see

1038474230_IMG_8153800x600.jpg.130f23781335532fd0044392e4fcaccf.jpg

618052278_IMG_8155800x600.jpg.4c69ff30e9ed348d9699dd66402bcb3d.jpg

The Recreational Flying GPS units have arrived and will be available in the shop from late tomorrow afternoon (Wed 15th June)

• Like 1

Just had an idea - what about an electronic logbook on them?

Easy to do with Excel on the units and I have the software image that I place on the units already created but I will have a look at that down the track a bit...may also look at what freeware logbooks are out there as well and let everyone know.

No link yet but I have an appointment tomorrow morning but I will get something done afterwards

• Like 1

Hi Denist and All

I have AirNav with charts for all of Australia and I pay to have them updated as each new version comes out. The licence allows me to download it to two computers.

Is there a way I can transfer the charts files from my laptop to the Rec Flying GPS?

Be gentle, please outback.gif.91986d60389f6b0a565fa0f2980da0a8.gif I'm a little slow with this sort of technical stuff.

Thanks

kaz

I have AirNav with charts for all of Australia and I pay to have them updated as each new version comes out. The licence allows me to download it to two computers.Is there a way I can transfer the charts files from my laptop to the Rec Flying GPS?

That's a damn good question Kaz. There is a way you could transfer the charts from the laptop to the Rec Flying GPS but I suspect it would not be legal.

The same questions could be asked by those who pay a licence for OzRunways or AirNav Pro for the iPad. Is the licence to use their charts transferable to generic graphic formats such as pdf, png or jpg which could be used on the Rec Flying GPS?

As far as I know, Maptrax are the only ones who sell Airservices calibrated charts in standard, non proprietary format which can be used on the Rec Flying GPS.