Recreational Flying GPS

Hi Ian.. In time you could still consider an Apple iPad platform as well; a basic wi-fi-only iPad can be tethered to iPhone 4 to access GPS. There are many more apps available for the Apple platform than any other.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have AirNav with charts for all of Australia and I pay to have them updated as each new version comes out. The licence allows me to download it to two computers.Is there a way I can transfer the charts files from my laptop to the Rec Flying GPS?

I don't believe there is a way to do that easily as Airnav uses a different format than Oze. You wil need to use the MapTrax charts.

I don't have any experience with AirNav and have not played with it at this point so I am in the dark as to how to manipulate it for other devices...at this stage...will see when I have some time free

Ian,

Are the dimension given for the 5" unit (180 x120x10) correct? This seems a little large when you look at the images of the unit, based on a 5" screen I thought a 120mm x 85mm x10mm would be nearer the mark. I have a scale photo of my control panel, I was trying to lay it out to fit the GPS unit and the unit seemed very large.

Allegro 2000

Your correct...180 is the 7"...thanks for letting me know

The sizes are:

5" - 135 x 88 x 16mm

7" - 180 x 114 x 15mm

I don't believe there is a way to do that easily as Airnav uses a different format than Oze. You wil need to use the MapTrax charts.

Thanks, guys.

I love the Airnav program and moving map but it's not cheap updating every 3 months. I only run it on my laptop so I was hoping the licence would allow me to use the second copy on either the GPS or the Android.

kaz

Received a great compliment on the Recreational Flying GPS units:

Just got the 7 inch gps...... it is a beautiful piece of kit.... now to explore it. It will provide that extra bit of situational awareness that the AVMAP with its Jepperson maps does not provide.... a paper map does, but they are a messy and a pain.... Thank you.

• Like 1

Good News...the Recreational Flying GPS units are selling like hot cakes with another 5 sold today...this means that stock from the initial order is now running very low so tomorrow (Mon 26th June) I will be placing another order for 100 units and I know that the manufacturer said that if I placed an order for 100 units the price will be cheaper. So, I am passing on to you the reduction in price starting immediately.

What is a surprise is the demand for the 7" units has been a lot higher then I had thought.

So the new prices are:

5" GPS Unit...$149.95 (previously $175)

7" GPS Unit...$199.95 (previously $225)

Many customers seem to be buying them for their car and then use them as either a primary or backup GPS unit in the aircraft...I was driving today with one and the alarm starting sounding as I was going too fast and I was ignoring the Girl on the unit saying "You are exceeding the speed limit" but the alarm was sounding because unbeknown to me I was coming up to a fixed red light camera...saved myself the price of the unit in a speeding fine.

And, the proof is in the pudding...over at a friends place today inside and he showed me his Tom Tom unit...no GPS pickup inside whilst mine was showing full receiving of the Satellites...he wasn't impressed as his Tom Tom was only a few months old...remember the Recreational Flying GPS units are specially built and spec'd compared to other GPS units and are NOT made on a production line as each one has to have our components in them so they are hand assembled.

The Sun Visors for the 7" GPS units have just arrived so every customer that has already received their 7" unit will receive a free Sun Visor being sent out today.

We are now including a Free Sun Visor with the 7" units as well as the 5" units along with free separate Screen Protectors but you will have to put the screen protector on yourself as I hate doing that...I always end up with bubbles if I do it...Corrine does it much better then me

Hi Ian, the 5" is going fine. On the weekend I could not get sound at all. Eventually figured out it was transmitting on FM. The only way to fix was to exit out of MIo to the default OS and then go into FM transmit and untick and save. Does this exist in the layed over OS? as it was kind of good having it come through the radio. It might be worth having a sticky with only hints for use.

Oh also how does the Visor work while in the craddle?

I'm still only using as a Car GPS and Kid entertainment as flying is a bit off but it still represents good value and I have the Oz Explorer to play with.

Great to hear Guys...I will soon have the Jackaroo Solutions web site up with support forums for everyone using the GPS, the Tablet PCs (EFB) and many other things that are coming. Everything, like the GPS units etc, for business reasons are done through my Software/Hardware company Jackaroo Solutions so I need to keep the business side of my life away from the "Recreational" side hence why I am using Jackaroo Solutions, plus the GPS units are also being used by non-aviators so it makes sense to do that.

Chird, thanks for letting me know, I will have a look at adding it to our own Interface on the unit as default.

On a side note, the EFB prototype is not performing very well. I spec'd the unit up into one hell of a super dooper unit for pilots rather then just a domestic unit like all the other pads are including Ipad but it has been detrimental to its use. You have to remember the modules I am using in the unit are far superior then any other pad like the GPS module (best GPS module not found in any other pad), the processor, the memory etc, they all take extra power from the battery and add weight to the unit. It weighs in at 480grams which is a bit too heavy for my liking although it does fit into your back pocket of your jeans (just don't sit down though). Because the modules are drawing so much current, the battery on standby (i.e. no screen on) with the WiFi and the Phone on only gives about 18hrs. The battery is a higher spec'd battery as it is so I need to do some more research...perhaps take the phone module out and make it a dongle 3G/NextG phone (as an option) which will give more room for a larger battery, reduce the price for a non-phone unit, and also it won't run so warm if using it as a kneeboard for 4hrs.

Chird...here are some pictures of the 2 units with the Sun Visors on whilst using the suction mounts and cradles:

I am really happy with the 7" Visor but I think I can do better with the 5" once the current lot of 5" Visors are gone...here are some of the alternatives that I purchased to test but were not happy with:

6350239_008800x600.jpg.1ea56a6e3f0db1686e348e1ea6166967.jpg

1342727611_001800x600.jpg.9600b5fd6036c01c0eced6fb7c978bbf.jpg

1098714514_002800x600.jpg.5bf1d45eed5c329332f40fc5f1e71494.jpg

117790161_003800x600.jpg.231d17ee26897277ec3c93c0acd7ab39.jpg

997627252_004800x600.jpg.26248700ac5eef262d2f1c85cc50ec8d.jpg

520301422_005800x600.jpg.02412b1a2ca8542470ef359d04bb34f3.jpg

1730688705_007800x600.jpg.143223d85e545a718ecbea7e0d385f0b.jpg

This is a basic question, but I don't really understand these thing, which is why I hesitated when I went to buy one.

If I buy the hardware, what comes with it? In other words, what do I need to add on to allow it to be used in car and in plane?

All the map options on the site with it? Do I need both Ozi and MapTrax and Air NAV?

I want to get Air Nav for printing out maps, but do I need the others too?

This is a basic question, but I don't really understand these thing, which is why I hesitated when I went to buy one.If I buy the hardware, what comes with it? In other words, what do I need to add on to allow it to be used in car and in plane?

All the map options on the site with it? Do I need both Ozi and MapTrax and Air NAV?

I want to get Air Nav for printing out maps, but do I need the others too?

If you just want to use the unit in the car then they come standard with voice assisted turn by turn street navigation software for you to use...nothing more to do...just get either unit.

To use in the Air you need OziExplorer CE and at least one MapTrax chart, either a WAC, VNC or VTC.

- If you don't already have an OziExplorer CE licence then you select it as an option

- If you don't already have any MapTrax WAC, VNC or VTC charts you can again select one as an option OR you can select the complete CD as an option (it has ALL WAC, VNC and VTC charts covering ALL of Australia)

- If you want more then just 1 chart but not the complete CD then you can add more charts to your order from the Maps and Charts section of the shop

You are now good to go in the Air as well as in the streets

There are 2 options for Flight Planning...

OziExplorer PC is a complete advanced flight planner that you can use on your PC using the MapTrax charts and then copy the flight plan to your unit...you also need OziExplorer CE on the unit

AirNav is an advanced subscription based Flight Planner...you subscribe to them for the WAC Charts for either 1 region or Australia wide and you copy your AirNav flight plan to your unit...you also need OziExplorer CE and MapTrax charts on the unit to read the AirNav flight plan

- Both Flight Planners are also available as options with the unit

Now, I am unsure and perhaps someone else can advise, but I don't know if you can print out your flight plan on a MapTrax chart with OziExplorer PC version like you can with AirNav

Is this as clear as mud 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Now, I am unsure and perhaps someone else can advise, but I don't know if you can print out your flight plan on a MapTrax chart with OziExplorer PC version like you can with AirNav

OziExplorer PC version has a "Print Map Image" option which can print a planned route on a MapTrax chart

OziExplorer PC version has a "Print Map Image" option which can print a planned route on a MapTrax chart

There is another way of printing your map in Ozi. Go to "Select" then "copy map screen to clipboard" then you can paste to a document, eg "Word" This file is heaps smaller than the map image as it is a "doc" file rather than a bitmap.

The Recreational Flying GPS units are proving to be very popular, 3 sent out yesterday, another 3 today, and new stock has arrived so there is plenty of both the 5" and 7" units in stock now.

So, this brings me to some bargains if anyone wants them...

The units took a lot of research, time and money to get them to what they are now and no other unit is like them nor have the advanced components that the Recreational Flying units have. Along the way I was purchasing samples of the units as they progressed through their development so if anyone wants them, with their limitations, then they are available...and very cheap.

Unit 1 - Basically it is an in-car street navigation unit that you can get anywhere but doesn't have the Recreational Flying unit's advanced components although it has our very nicely enhanced screen so great to use in the sunlight. To me it looks ugly as I used this unit to spec the new casing, metal components and advanced GPS etc modules and relies on the supplied 4gig SD card where the apps are located. Has all the accessories including a test version of the Sun Visor and offcourse the iGO8 voice assisted street navigation software loaded.

Price: $99

zzz1.jpg.994b62d34a4761801bd477d8800bcf6b.jpg

Unit 2 - This unit has all the advanced Recreational Flying modules, the metal components and case, the 4gig inbuilt memory for apps but doesn't have the advanced Recreational Flying screen. In fact it has better resolution however this is detrimental when using it in direct sunlight so perfect for the car with a very clear vision of the screen or as a backup inflight GPS unit. Has all the accessories including a test version of the Sun Visor and offcourse the iGO8 voice assisted street navigation software loaded. A nice looking unit, like a baby version of the Recreational Flying 7" version.

Price: $99

zzz2.jpg.e632c8acc8c0d7f6a4ee14358ce166fc.jpg

The two above units are great car nvigation units like Tom Tom, Garmin, Mio etc

Unit 3 - A 7" TabletPC and like the GPS units, I started with a mass produced brand name unit, looked at it and began to spec up the units that I would want to put the Recreational Flying name on. This is a "Dreambook" brand 7" Android powered unit and only comes as a standard unit that you can buy anywhere. The specs are:

7" viewable, Capacitive, Multi Touch, High Definition screen

freescale IMX515 1GHZ cpu Processor

512 Meg System Memory

8gig Flash memory/Hard Disk

Support for up to 32gig SD or TF Memory Card

Android 2.2

Builtin GPS (full 24 satellite GPS)

Builtin WiFi 802.11b/g/n

Builtin Bluetooth

Builtin 3G phone with sim card slot for 850/900/1800/1900MHZ, WCDMA/HSDPA 2100MHZ, WCDMA 850/1900MHZ...Supports all the carriers including Telstra NextG

Cameras, 1 front

G Sensor

Battery 4500mAh

If you do a search on Google for "Dreambook W7 price" you will find that the general price for this unit in Australia is $400 to $470...a bargain at only $300 if you want this one.

If any one is interested in the above units please let me know...I only have 1 of each so first in best bargained :big_grin:

Ian,

Have received the 5" unit, the car navigation system works well, you are right about the accuracy. Have spent some time getting to know the system before I put it in the aircraft but I can not get past the demo mode for Ozi Explorer. Should have been supplied with a code?

The unit is a lot of features for the money, well done.

Allegro 2000

Ian,Have received the 5" unit, the car navigation system works well, you are right about the accuracy. Have spent some time getting to know the system before I put it in the aircraft but I can not get past the demo mode for Ozi Explorer. Should have been supplied with a code?

The unit is a lot of features for the money, well done.

Allegro 2000

Hi Mate...looking at your order you didn't select OziExplorer CE as an option...as some people already have a licence for Ozi it didn't ring any alarm bells...will give you a ring

• 4 weeks later...

I have updated the software on the Recreational Flying GPS units to a more easier to use menu system. I was finding that some customers of the units that were not into technology were finding it hard to use the menu with so many features and applications.

The new menu system looks like this:

1541437795_Capture001640x480.jpg.f1aa5f3308950b93c907bba493138c9d.jpg

65175446_Capture003640x480.jpg.8ca3ab28115611577eb6cb3f7299b61b.jpg

743359199_Capture002640x480.jpg.24adb48fccbc192a787fb3a5b674ebbd.jpg

You can see that the units have all pre-installed ready to go:

• The Car Navigation system with voice assist turn by turn and red light camera warning etc

• A Video Player - there is a demo Simpsons video to show you (you can add your own videos)

• A Flash Player for playing anything done in flash (you can add your own Flash files)

• An E-Book Reader with 9 free books installed (you can add your own e-books)

• A Photo Gallery (you can add your own photos to your gallery)

• You can change the Theme /Colours etc of the unit to suit yourself

• A Music Player to play all your own favourite songs that you can add

• You can set the wallpaper on the device to another pre-installed one or add your own photo

• Display for the GPS information

• A menu area called favourites where you can start any Windows CE application that you have installed on the device.

• A Calculator

• You can change the units of measurement that is used by the GPS

• A FM Transmitter so you can set an FM frequency and tune your car radio to it and play your favourite songs that you have put onto the GPS through your car stereo system

• Change the volume level of the output speaker in the GPS

• Set different screen brightness levels of the GPS

• Change the language from English to one of many others

• Change the Date/Time of the GPS or set it to automatically get it from the Satellites

• A normal Mobile Device Calibration Screen

• See the system information of the GPS

• Set the different types of connections used to connect the GPS to your Computer

• Set a different path to the Navigation software

• Reset the unit back to factory defaults (don't touch :big_grin:...unless we tell you to in supporting you and the unit)

• Six different pre-installed games for you to play

In the Favourites menu (by tapping the favourites icon) pre-installed for you is:

• OziExplorer CE version (licence required that you can obtain from us)

• A Digital Alarm Clock with world times

• A Ruler that can be used to for example measure a bolt or something

• A Torch with different colours that you can select (White, Red, Green, Blue or Yellow)

• A Notepad that you can write notes in your own hand writing

• A File Manager for you to browse what files are on your GPS without having to connect it to your PC

The Recreational Flying 7inch GPS will be updated to this new menu system in the next couple of days.

Hope you find this new Menu System much more appealing as it is a lot easier/simpler to use and all units shipped from today on will contain the new menu system.

I will also create a sub forum here where those that have a Recreational Flying GPS can share applications that they may find with each other and that you can add to the Favourites section on your GPS.

Any existing customer that would like to update their Recreational Flying GPS to this new menu system please contact me

Thanks to all that have supported the site by obtaining a Recreational Flying GPS whether it be for the air, the streets or both.

• Like 1

the street maps are for both Aust and NZ...the WAC Charts etc are only for Aust however I believe I can get the NZ aviation charts as well that work with OziExplorer...as for any other country the GPS unit itself as hardware will work anywhere but you need the apps/charts for that country