Recreational Flying GPS

Sounds like you have the old menu system...the best thing to do would be to give me a ring on 03 9444-8025

Thanks Ian, I will do can I do that this evening, I need to leave my desk so what time would suit you.

Chris

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian,

A couple questions regarding the RF GPS's;

-Does the 5" version have Word and Excel viewers like the 7" or is it just PDF? If not are thy able to be put on (and other apps I guess) by the customer?

-Has AA updated their WAC's so that from now on they will be the new ones loaded (you mentioned this in another thread)?

-Lastly, how are we going with a replacement for the individual VNC/VTC's that were offered by Maptrax? If these are still not available, are these also something that can be added on if'/when they do become available?

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif I received my new 5 " rec flying GPS recently and it could be just me 'cause I'm not that clever when it comes to such things:loopy: but I don't seem to be able to load the road navigation app.

When I plug it in and press the GPS icon, I expected to get an option for the iGO8 for road use or the oziExplorer for flying but it went straight to oziExplorer. Hmm, I must have to find the place to change it myself, fiddle about a bit ..... nothing. Oh well read the instructions, it says it is pre set to iGO8 and you can change the app by simply changing the Nav Path (tap the nav path Icon) and find the.exe file of the app you want to set the GPS icon to (seems a bit onerous to me, but seeing it will mostly be used for aviation I guess I won't have to do it very often). I do this and I get \ResidentFlash\OziExplorer 2\OziExplorerCE.ex with a button, I click the button and get the click noise the next screen is an up arrow, OzExp 2 Programs and iGO8, when I click on any of these there is no click but the icon highlights ( I click the iGO8 icon). There is also what looks like a scroll up/down bar on the side but it doesn't do anything. The only way out of this page is to click the off button in the top corner which takes you back to the previous page and that still says OziExp. Nothing has changed.

How do I do it?

Thanks

Regards Bill

Give me a ring Bill...it was setup to click the car icon (top left corner) to start the car navigation and click Favourites and then double click the OziExplorer icon to start OziExplorer...they are all setup that way and checked before leaving here...so please give me a ring and I will help sort you back out to default

O.K now I'm stuck again........

I just finished wiring it into the trike which involved interruption to it's power supply a couple of times (just the way we do things down on the farm:augie:). Now the screen is stuck on the navigation menu and won't respond. My usual fix for these sort of problems is :turn it off, wait a minute then turn it on again. Did that, no change 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif. What now?

Could it be one of that I D ten T problem you here techies talking about?

Try resetting the device by sticking one end of a paper clip into the reset hole just above the SD card slot, there is a little button inside that hole, once you have clicked the button with the paper clip, the device should reboot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Bump.. considering purchasing a 7" but as above what is the situation with map updates?

Unfortunately the M ap producer no longer does them however the units come with a full set of WAC charts that you can edit by using the full OziExplorer PC version to update them. You can also create your own charts by using the PC version by first downloading them from the GeoSciences web site.

I looked into doing the charts myself but I simply don't have the time so if anyone wants to create a little side line business producing them then I can pass you on the contact details of Neil from MapTrax who previously advised he would help me to produce them if I had the time

Is it economically viable to do these for other countries, e.g NZ?

MapTrax did make charts for NZ but I don't have copies of them...there is a way, so I believe, but ianboag (user here) would know

You might be able to extend your Rec Flying product market by up to 20% if they were sold in NZ.

Yes I have NZ maps. PM me if you want to know more. Doubt the market extension thing. As Ian observed, the GPS market has been taken over by phones and tablets.

• 1 year later...

hi all

i purchased a 7in GPS version sometime ago & have used it successfuly on 1 flight only

it sat in storage & battery failed a replacement was sourced

since then i played with unit on bench & became familiar with it functions & uses

when i finally got my licence & wanted to use it in plane it has been nothing but a disappointment

to itemise issues

sw unit on everything happens normally sat`s aquired maps loaded etc

nav the menu 2 touches on screen & everything freezes nothing possibble unit useless

re-power same result

what am i doing wrong ??

what do i need to fix

i also need anew stylus pen & sun shade

anyone have same issues & what did you do to fix

Hi Lyle,

We have been using ours as a car GPS as well as in the plane. Seems to be OK, but is now not taking as much charge to last on batteries. It is best plugged in to power. Our charger had a melt down, but we got a compatible one. There are sun shades still for sale in the Pilot Supplies (used to be Clear Prop, now Savemoreonline). We have not had the problem with the unit freezing, so I can't be much help there. Hope it all works out for you.

Sue

hi allanother strange ocurance the unit will work sitting @ home but refuses to work mounted in aircraft

where to look faultwise

If this is in a Jab powered plane, the electricity can be a bit spiky. Mine used to regularly freeze up GPS's until I put a big fat capacitor across the ciglighter socket. As you noticed, a simple power off/on doesn't restart it. Normally it would go again from a hard reset - the stick the probe in the hole type.

If this is in a Jab powered plane, the electricity can be a bit spiky. Mine used to regularly freeze up GPS's until I put a big fat capacitor across the ciglighter socket. As you noticed, a simple power off/on doesn't restart it. Normally it would go again from a hard reset - the stick the probe in the hole type.

hi ian

thanks i have a dedicated power supply via a t/former worth checking the output noise level s when i can get to tech. will check to see if not plugging in solves issue

lyle

• Informative 1