Ridge soaring in England...these guys are fearless

We ridge-soar our Jabirus off Mount Ovens, near Bathurst, when the wind is blowing from the West.. We have done this many times in the past in hang-gliders and the technique is basically that same: Fly close to, above and parallel to the ridge, but always in front of it (upwind side), then when get to the end of the ridge do a 180 turn away from the ridge and back parellel again. A Jab will hold height in 15kts wind and will gain height over 15 kts - at idle. Good fun and skill honing.. One of the benefits of the weight limit in our category.. Come to Bathurst and try it sometime.

A Jab will hold height in 15kts wind and will gain height over 15 kts - at idle. Good fun and skill honing..

Wow, that would be cool! Do you guys clear the engine periodically?

Wow, that would be cool! Do you guys clear the engine periodically?

Yep - Carby heat, of course, then clear as required - and don't allow the motor to get too cold too quickly.. Our soaring is nowhere near as extended as those Pommy sailplane boys though; that stuff is amazing to watch...

God that scenery make me home-sick. Pity the rest of England is so stuffed up. Not into gliding myself but that was great to watch. Thanks.

(language - edited by Admin)

God that scenery make me home-sick. Pity the rest of England is so stuffed up. Not into gliding myself but that was great to watch. Thanks.(language - edited by Admin)

054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gifSorreee