Dave Sykes coming to Australia

Ronin

How will he handle the D Space at Bankstown. It will be good to see him in somewhere, even The Oaks, the Rec Aviation Gateway to Sydney 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Guest Crezzi
How will he handle the D Space at Bankstown.

He is flying a British registered aircraft (albeit with a Permit to Fly rather than a CoA) on a British PPL (or NPPL) so the restrictions in CAO95.32 and the RAAus Operations Manual aren't applicable.

He has also already flown through a lot of controlled airspace far more complex than Bankstown !

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked up on David Sykes' progress in his Quik (England to Aust) and he has been stuck in Kuala Lumpa since 7th July waiting for a permit to enter Indonesia. Probably the hardest part of the journey, waiting, waiting, waiting while good weather goes to waste. At this rate I may get my wish and be home in time to get over to Barcaldine to cheer him on his epic journey. His blog is a good read. Navigated 9,000 NM and then got lost in a KL shopping mall.

Good on ya Dave! Chin up - it will all come together soon.

Sue

David Sykes arrived at Juanda airport yesterday (Indonesia - west of Denpasar). He has a leg or two to go in Indonesia, then Timor, then Darwin. He could be on Aussie soil this week! His proposed landings are listed on his site and you can keep up with his progress on his blog and on Spot and donate to his cause (and his costs). Would be good if there is a welcoming party at each stop. I am hoping to get to Barcaldine to cheer him on.

For those who don't know - David Skyes became a paralegic after a motorcycle accident on his way to work in 1993. Initially did parachuting (until he broke his leg landing), then got into Trikes. Has done 29,500 miles in them. This flight is the first by an unsupported paraplegic in a microlight England to Australia and celebrates the 80th anniversary of Amy Johnson's flight. He doesn't have any support team following him around.

His Australian route is (from his website and subject to change) - Darwin to Tindal, Renner springs, Barkly Homestead, Cloncurry, Barcaldine, Charleville, Nyngen, Dubbo, Somersby before arriving at Sydney Bansktown - then one final leg on to Newcastle where the journey ends.

_

Sue

1184255051_DavidSykes.jpg.ae937587687af2fe9381946ec3b4855f.jpg

David Sykes has left Bali and is in the air right now heading for Bima, Indonesia. Next leg takes him to Kupang on Timor, then the really scary bit - 800+km over water, Timor to Darwin. Hope some Trikers, RAAus guys are there to welcome him to Oz.

super_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif

Sue

David Sykes :england:has arrived at El Tari airport near Kupang in Timor - next stop DAWIN - he could be in Oz Friday afternoon!

:aussie:098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif:aussie:

Will depend on the weather as this leg is 800km over water.

Wishing him Blue Skies & tailwinds.

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Sue

Dave can't take a trick, bad winds coming ripped off front wheel and some minor damage, but he's still in good spirits considering he's pretty bruised up and he has new parts are on the way, he is one tough, determined guy, everyone keep fingers and toes crossed for his next leg:victory: Eric

News from another forum .. David Sykes is all repaired and awaiting favourable winds for his Timor to Dawin leg. At this stage he plans to do the 800km over water leg on Monday 8th August. Dawinites - dust off your glad rags and welcome him to Oz.

Sue

Ian, have sent Dave a message, included this site details i have let him know of a couple of options in case he is short of time but he has been having huge computer issues so i am not even sure i will here anything, but if i do i will do paste here for everybody to read...... Eric:clap:

Ian, have sent Dave a message, included this site details i have let him know of a couple of options in case he is short of time but he has been having huge computer issues so i am not even sure i will here anything, but if i do i will do paste here for everybody to read...... Eric:clap:

Thanks Mate!

Hi All, i have popped a new thread up. Dave Sykes has Landed ion Oz. I thought now that he was here we may as well go with that one. Have a look for continued info at that thread....