She flys!

Guest rocketdriver

Guest rocketdriver

Its taken 9 months but ...... She Flys!

Today we fixed the fuel feed problem we identified during high speed tail up runs yesterday and,, after a couple of high speed runs today, It was a question of, “the aircraft is ok, the weather is fantastic, am I good enough” and the answer was, “yes, not perfect, but adequate” So off we went ....

A perfect 45 minute flight on a perfect still sunny winters day .... A lovely aeroplane to fly, responsive but not twitchy ... a delight in fact ..... I had been a bit apprehensive hearing about all these stories of excessive pitch sensitivity, but not this little black duck ... she is lovely. Even did a couple of chandelles just for the fun of it .... Water temps a little high as the previous owner had warned us and I wonder if a larger or multilayer radiator would be the answer. Oil temps fine, oil pressure at the lower end or the scale but still in the green, max rpm about 4300 rpm at about 115 kts. And a fair (no prizes) landing to finish .....

Hoping to take her out again at the weekend (a long weekend here in Vic). Why doesn't everyone own a KR2?

Cheers

RD

Guest JRMobile
dont advertise too much exuberance though...!

WHY?...........................Way to go RD, well done!

Exhuberance in the circumstances is understandable.

A friend of mine who has since passed away was riding his MAC VELO thru a surburb in Melbourne, ( he was about 80 at the time) and an officer of the law got him for being over the speed limit. He was asked if he had any excuse for exceeding the limit, and after a while having considered the question, said" I suppose I would have to put it down to "youthful exhuberance". Yes . He still got booked. Nev

Guest davidh10

Congratulations RD. Must be a great feeling. Just out of interest, what was the diagnosis of the fuel issue?

If your weather was anything like ours today... what a lovely day to go flying. Sounds like you had a ball (hopefully in the middle 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif).

Guest rocketdriver

Hi David and everyone else ....

Thankyou and, yes, I had a ball, but needed quite a lot of right foot to keep it in the middle .... no stress because the rudder is light as are all the rest of the controls, but nevertheless a noticeable displacement of the right foot. Perhaps I will need to offset the thrust line a little. Also perhaps, now that it is flying, I have 100 percent done and there is still 100 percent of improvements now becomming obviously needed!! LOL!!!!

Re the fuel issue, it was excessive fuel return to the tank, despite using two flow restrictors in series in the return line. They supply one restrictor per pump, but I used two in series anyway (the pumps are in parallel) and , I must say, always thought there was a lot of fuel going round in circles. Despite the fuel flow rate test showing more than enough flow rate to the carby,, clearly the resultant pressure was insufficient at the float chamber, leading to a weak mixture anyway, and only a small disturbance sufficient to kill the engine .... .. so I crimped the return line in the tank and that fixed it!. Now the return is more of a squirt rather than a stream .... and the engine doesn't stop any more!!!

Cheers

RD

Guest rocketdriver

Thanks everyone ... at least both of us walked away ..... not sure that it qualifies as a good landing though:big_grin:

cheers

RD

Guest rocketdriver

No "oops" noticed, Blueshed ..... it was great stuff from my viewpoint, at least until "THE HAPPENING"!! ... and I appreciate the good will expressed ... TKU!. Now, do you know anyone who wants a whole load of parts? 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

RD