Fuel and Lexan

hihosland

Most owners/pilots with a Lexan windscreen would be aware of the severe damage that fuel can do if spilled on Lexan.

Locktite can do do similar damage.

A particular trap is when Locktite is used on prop bolts, cowling fittings or other parts exposed to the slip stream forward of the Lexan screen.

I've read that Locktite when exposed to the air stays fluid for quite a long time and consequently can be blown back onto the windshield leaving it looking as if peppered by a shot gun blast.

Davidh

• Helpful 1

Lexan, while tough, does not like ANY forms of hydrocarbons, fuel, paint thinners, or even paint itself.

Beware of painting windscreen surrounds to hide underlying structure as cracks will eventually form.

Arthur.

• 9 months later...

I spilled fuel on my "Makrolon" covered doors which immediately ate into it and destroyed the door. Not happy ! Makrolon is a polycarbonate like Lexan, so I am now looking at trying "Perspex" which is an Acrylic. Does anyone have any experience with this.

• 9 months later...
Guest Maj Millard

Acrylic is harder and more scratch resistant, but also more brittle and will only bend so far before cracking. Also prone to cracking when drilling if not carefull. Could not do acrylic on Lightwing windshield-it cracked, ended up using Makrolon which is fine. Acrylic should be fine for flat surfaces. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi,

I ended up using acrylic for my side doors which are under the fuel drains when open and stuck to the Makrolon for the windscreen and headrack. just need to be carefull not to get fuel on them. The makrolon is starting to craze where it is stressed at the curves.

Ducky

Threadlocking compound (e.g. Locktite) is an anaerobic product. I think that’s Latin for “away from oxygenâ€.

Which means that when you apply thread locking compound to a thread & tighten the components, all air, and therefore oxygen, is excluded from the product.

Hence it sets & “locks†the thread.

It also explains why you don’t seem to get much product for your money!

Are you familiar with how much airspace there is in a bottle of Locktite or similar product? This is the way it has to be, so that the product does not set in the container & therefore become useless (I.e. sets before you get the chance to use it).

So, any time you use a threadlocking product, wipe away any excess product so it does not jeopardise any window surfaces such as Lexan (Perspex).

Regards, Decca.

watch out for products containing methylated spirits too. I believe "Windolene" contains it. That will eventually "craze" the surface... Soapy water ONLY..Perspex should be ok with petrol though. I used it for years while making sidecar windscreens. 90 degree bends are easy using a hot air gun,and it keeps the shape. I tried polycarbonate, which doesn't shatter, but it was too difficult to bend. ..............Geoff

BOTH!...It takes a couple of weeks for the damage to become evident, then when it starts it slowly get worse until you can only look through it at 90 degrees to the surface. The "crazing" is not very deep but too deep to polish out...

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Walter Buschor

Hi David,

I've been told the same story regarding fuel touching lexan.

I must have been lucky as some time ago I did have a severe fuel leak ( thankfully on the ground ) that emptied the contence of one tank into the wing - over the door and down to the ground.

Needless to say I nearly s...t myself as I'd been flying passenegers just before and this could have happend in the air.

I'm getting a little sidetracked here. The lexan on the door was totally saturated but luckyly for me it remained unaffected by the fuel.

Others I know weren't so lucky.

safe flying

the grey Nomad