8 Day Mechanical Aircraft Clock

Im on a roll here so thought I would put my sticky feelers out. I would like to fit an Elgin or Waltham or the like 8 Day mechanical Clock in my Pietenpol. There are a few going around on Ebay but thought I might see if anyone had something in their shed that they may consider parting with for my project. It doesnt need to be working as I am a Watchmaker by trade although havent practised for many years. I still have contacts in the industry who can help overhaul it with me.

let me know what you might have. I will look at anything including parts.

Aircraft_Clock.jpg.25eb83f99366375edfdcad593dcdb6ae.jpg

Aircraft_Clock.jpg.25eb83f99366375edfdcad593dcdb6ae.jpg

Scotty

4106a.JPG.b5d46116e328b3ef00bb94a449cb1df2.JPG

Guest Maj Millard

0410101336-00.jpg.6e344e26d3e300d205db2fbe22067849.jpg BB, There are many collectors worldwide who collect aircraft clocks, they are very sought after, especially the older ones. I was lucky enough to pick up a Brueget Type 12 which is highly collectable and very valuable. They were used in many WW2 german aircraft including the Me 109.

I often watch a site which you can get to by googling 'aircraft clocks'. Yes there are many that come up on Ebay. Go international and there are usually a hundred offerings or so most of the time. If you have trouble finding it PM me and I'll try and send you the link.

Don't bother chasing a Type 12, they are rare as rocking horse shxx. So rare in fact that they do offer a replica for museum aircraft. Mine is in the Lightwing still doing what it was designed to do and I use it every flight, still keeps perfect time...That's it on the lower left next to the stick-its...................................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi Maj...yours looks nice! There are a few on Ebay, one even brand new still in its box for a little over $200. They are a nice little unit and I like this kind of stuff.

Scotty

Guest Maj Millard

Breuget as far as I know was the French/swiss gentleman with inventing the circular watch spring, which revolutionized watch and clock design. Breitling has one of thier watches called a Breuget with the same movement in it as the Breuget Type 12 aircraft clock that I have, but smaller of course so it fits in a watch. The back is clear so that the movement can be appreciated. Like most old Breitlings, it is a highly collectable model.

The Type 12 that Ihave has two operating buttons. One for a stop/start sweep second hand, and a second for stop-watch function. Most models I have seen on Ebay only have the one operating button (Type 11 ??) and yes they are cheaper generally.

If you spot a genuine Type 12 for $200, grab it by all means as I'll give you $300 for it straight away !!

Aircraft clocks can get addictive if your into that sort of thing !.i just enjoy going to the Ebay site and looking at what I could have. If you really want to go ga ga, google 'Used Breitling watches' and hang on !....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Anyone finding a mint Hamilton 21 Marine mechanical chronometer looking for a good home I have space on my mantlepiece next to my Glashutte, Wempe, Tamaya and Seiko quartz marine chronometers.

Historic Timekeepers Marine Chronometer Services in the US may have restored aircraft clocks available, but I am guessing you already know that website anyway. (www.historictimekeepers.com)

Guest Maj Millard

Dieselten, I'll let you know if I see any....................................................Cheers Ross...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

My Uncle Ted had such a clock fitted to his highly polished, marone Austin A40 in the mid 1950's. I was keen on all things aviation related , even at 7 years of age.

Cars with clocks were pretty rare in 1955, unless they were a Jag or a Humber perhaps. This was an eight day clock from an aeroplane, and Uncle Ted had fitted it to his Austin. I thought that was terrific.

Uncle Ted was an engine guy at de Havilland ' s Bankstown plant, he'd met my Aunty Mary when she was working on the assembly line there, wiring up Mosquitoes during WW11.

Ted told me the clock had come from an Auster.

Funny how little things catch can one's eye and yet be remembered for so long.:big_grin:

This thread has certainly had me thinking....

My first employer used to tell me that I should "get my hand of my eight day clock" all the time...!!! I had convinced myself that it was old Aussie Bush Rhyming slang and there was actually no such thing... until I read this thread.

I can certainly appreciate these old timepieces... A different sort of timepiece but my Dad has several WW2 AA shell detonators(unless they are illegal... then he smelted them!)... They consist of a bakelite cone shaped head with the most delicate and simply complex clock mechanism, made of brass or aluminium... It was a marvel of engineering... thousands were sent to MIM (at the Isa) to be smelted in the furnaces after having been stored in some dusty warehouse somewhere for 40 years by the government... thankfully he saved a couple. After removing the protective grease they were in the same condition as the day they were made... considering they built these devices in the millions and shot them out of AA guns it follows that the clocks they built in that period must have been truly amazing!!!