fuel mizer

I got a fuel mizer gauge not is not holding its memory, does anyone know how to fix this problem or is it a throw away and get a new one, great tool to have, but not when its not working.

The problem is as soon as you turn off the power it looses everything, the calibration, fuel level, the lot.

Thinking its internal battery has died, wondering if anyone has any info???

Well since there was just too many pages in this thread i decided since i had a slack day to investigate a little further.

Removed the instrument from the gyro, and disassembled it, hmmmm no internal battery, just a printed card inside, so it got me stumped how it holds its memory, but will take it to the puter shop and see if they want to look at it.

Guest davidh10

One of the ways of avoiding the necessity of having to change an internal battery on some electronic devices was to use a very large capacity capacitor, which would charge almost instantly when external power was applied, but discharge very slowly under a very small quiescent drain while power is not applied. This option was triggered by a technology advance that allowed the production of very compact (size of a pea), low voltage capacitors that could be qualitatively described as having immense capacity, and thus for microampere current draw, were potentially a battery replacement.

A more modern approach is to use Flash memory, which does not require any power to retain its state. Flash memory has a lifetime specified as the number of write cycles, but can just suddenly stop working for no apparent reason.

My guess would be not repairable, if there is no obvious battery to replace, and no broken wires.

Much of this sort of stuff is built these days using custom large scale integration, so there is only one or two devices with lots of connection points on a circuit board (looks not unlike a spider in the centre of a web) with a few power and external interface components separately mounted on the board. If that is the case, the memory is probably Flash and integrated inside one of the multi-leg chips.