Likes and dislikes of the Gazelle

Guest Stkin0

Guest Stkin0

The best thingI like about the Gazelle is its easibility to fly, not much to worry about on the inside the plane compared to others like the Aztec and Warrior

Dislike: the material that it is made of. it can tear so easily.This is the only thing I dislike about the Gazelle other then that the Gazelle is a great training aircraft, and great for group flying

Our Strip is 5nm from the beach the senary is fantastic white beach's scattered Islands and the view from the uncluttered cockpit of the Gazelle is commented on by all that have a fly.

WE quite often pack some lunch and fishing gear and fly to a (secret ) beach where we always catch a feed of fish.

The Gazelles easy handling sure makes these trips great fun, would'n sell it for QUIDS.

John

Guest micgrace
The best thingI like about the Gazelle is its easibility to fly, not much to worry about on the inside the plane compared to others like the Aztec and Warrior Dislike: the material that it is made of. it can tear so easily.This is the only thing I dislike about the Gazelle other then that the Gazelle is a great training aircraft, and great for group flying

I hope that comment didn't relate to a real aircraft. In fact if the fabric is properly applied and painted is is actually quite tough. Some warbirds made extensive use of fabric ok. it's the heavyweight version with anti tearstrips used versus the usual medium weight as in the Gazelle.

The fabric is that tough when applying paint you actually wet sand between coats. And if the aluminium/butyrate coat has been applied correctly (100% blocking of UV) an unlimited lifespan.

If the fabric on a particular aircraft tore easily, I wouldn't even bother to taxi, let alone take off in the wild blue yonder. But what I've seen of the Gazelle, the factory application of paint to the fabric is outstanding. (Haven't seen a bad one yet.

The flying characteristics I'd describe as bland and uninspiring which is great for the intended purpose (trainer) with nil surprises in store.

It wasthe first nosewheel type aircraft I flew, so I actually had to convert from tailwheel to nosewheel (easy) although initially I tended to treat it a bit like a taildragger on landing which the instructor immediately picked up on.

Unfortunately I can't seem to shake the flu' which keeps me on the ground for now.

Micgrace :)

The Gazelle may be docile but I havn't flown an aircraft yet I would call BLAND any craft that can take you into the wild blue yonder has to be good!

I would like to see some of the new high performance skinny wheeled aircraft follow me to some of my favourite landing spots . Horses for courses old feller.

John

Guest micgrace

Just a clarification on "bland" Does everthing very well with nil surprises in store. i.e. no unwanted "excitement" i.e. stall (what stall) unwanted departures (stable) In fact so effortlessly you wonder whether you are actually flying the aircraft at all. A good thing, not negative in any way although my comment gives that impression.

I'd like to see how some of the plastic fantastics handle some of the same conditions the Gazelle can.

I'd like to see how some of the plastic fantastics handle some of the same conditions the Gazelle can.

- Can I brag and say I have the best of both worlds - a Gazelle and a CTsw (although the CT is sold and should leave the nest this weekend but I have ordered another one).I still get a shiver down my spine remembering when I was doing my crosswind training in the Gazelle. Walking out to the aircraft I glanced over at the windsock and saw the chains that dangle half way up the pole poking out horizontally, I make mention of this to my instructor, "Streuth" he says, "I thought the wind was stronger then that, I am surprised the chains are still attached to the pole and the welds are still holding". My head sank down low, I began to take smaller steps as my legs were shaking by this sight bouncing around in my head.

Off we went, my instructor had assured me that it was only about 18kts at 90deg of the strip but what I didn't know was it was FLAMIN MORE FIERCE ABOVE THOSE DARN TREES. As we were taxing my instructor forced me to hold the stick against the wind, I looked at him with all facial wrinkles bulging up on top of each other from fear. Down the strip we went, I struggled to keep her straight and a smile was beginning to emerge from this new found confidence when suddenly at about 50ft agl WHAMEEE - the old faithfull Gazelle turned sideways and all about the place. It felt like I was in the Gazelle rotary wing and the blades had stopped and the fuselage had kept going, it was all over the place - dangerously close to stall for the whistle was blowing its head off, my instructor said in an ever calming voice "nose down" but I don't think he was prepared for my reply "NOSE DOWN.....WHAT THE.....ARE YOU KIDDING.....WE'RE ONLY 50ft.....SH************T". I then felt a hard but ever so slight pressure forward on the stick, my instructor had just pushed the stick forward a little, we gained speed and continued to climb - I never realised what it felt like have your bottom jaw quivering at 10 beats to every heart beat which was already going like a runaway train.

Around the circuit we went, struggling against the wind and making the circuit as short as possible. On short final I felt lucky for a change, Shepparton airstrip is pretty wide and at the angle we were it was likely we were going to land across the strip so apart from doing the evening 3 step on the pedals I was ready to jump on the brakes and show how much of a STOL the Gazelle really could be. At the last minute I kinked her around and thanked God for the almighty tuff undercarriage that is the foundation of what the Gazelle is built on.

We taxied back, jumped out to see the CFI running over to tell us that as we were taking off the wind jumped up to 25+kts. looking back at it know I am thankful I was in a Gazelle as I doubt very much that my CT or any other plastic fantastic could have handled it as good as the old faithful gazelle.

Incidentally, I was just joking about the chains on the windsock pole but a point to ponder - while your on short final, your eyes are busy lining up the

centre line, the piano keys, watching your airspeed etc - how many of us make a natural glance automatically at the sock before it is to late???

Guest micgrace

Hi Ian.

It's an aircraft that I've spent quite a number of hours in by force of necessity. It was either a Gazelle or a Jab. Since I'm a bit tight on cash always, the Gazelle is the one to hire (cheaper rate) till I get something of my own built.

Originally learnt in a wire braced Drifter on a strip with a permanent crosswind. That was always a challenge. Learnt to let airspeed to build up before climbout. Still practice that today. No comment from instructor on practice. I am very quick to maintain airspeed at all times, sometimes a bit too much with comments like you lose a bit too much height, not so much foward pressure, let the speed build up.

By the way, you can certainly get a good bounce if you treat it a bit like a taildragger