A PPG Video- Where birds pass

Oh man that just makes me wanna go for another fly. There is no other aircraft in the world that gives you that view from the cockpit. I have always viewed the PPC as an older mans version of a PPG. It is where you end up when you undercarrage can no longer keep up with your wing. It may be crap weather here but I am off to go sit in my machine and have a beer. Anybody else want a coldie while I dribble on about my next flight?

Thanks Winsor

John

• Like 2

Hi XXXX,

I'm the old man, just got home from dinner and drinks and I'd need to set her up for dual and full throttle to get my fat guts off the ground at the moment, least thats how I feel. Weathers been ok for the odd flight over here on the East Coast, but I know how you feel when its week after week of lousy weather. Was with a few PPG's last weekend and their big plus is their portability, just put it in the back of the car and travel. Great scenery in that clip, however I'd be worried about wind effect in that canyon but ....... what a place to fly.

• Like 1

Guest Jake.f

Must try that someday...

I was at the Gold Coast last week and when we went for a drive up to the spit we saw a few people flying around the area with powered parachutes, all while taking off and landing in about 10m! They also could fit them in the back of their cars!

At a wild guess I would say Smith Rock State Park, Oregon 015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif

Sorry Deskpilot, could not resist.

Ok Cosmic, you take your chubbie butt and fly into the canyon and radio back the wind conditions. If all is well then I'll roll my chubbie butt down and follow you in.

Brave arn't I. 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

John

• Like 1

At a wild guess I would say Smith Rock State Park, Oregon 015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gifSorry Deskpilot, could not resist.

John

OK, I'm awake now. Should'ave read the title first I guess. No offense taken John.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could do it Electric? None of that incessant buzzing in your ear-hole. Even if you only used it to get you up to a ridge where you could pick up the wave, you could fly from the car to the car instead of from the top of a hill to the bottom of a valley like un-powered paragliders.

• Like 1

I do believe they are working on the electric powered machines, well at least PPC machines. I have seen some photo's of them but they are limited at the moment to about half an hours flight time or there abouts. The PPG's have a far more efficient wing than what I fly and I believe switching their engines off to thermal is a large part of their appeal. Best of both worlds. My rig is too heavy and inefficient to thermal with the engine off so must put up with the screaming rotax. Oh well, better than not being able to fly at all.

John

I do believe they are working on the electric powered machines, well at least PPC machines.

Dumb question time. PPG == Powered ParaGlider? PPC ==??

Guest turnbase

Suitman you read my mind. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Wondering on an Aerochute, can you turn the engine off and thermal or isn't the canopy as efficient as some of the PPG's?

Turnbase,

Think of trying to thermal in an Aerochute as trying to do the same in a C150. It would be one hell of a thermal to keep you up. The wing is just not designed to do that. Yet as inefficient as the wing is, like the C150, it is very easy to fly and very forgiving. PPG's have the most beautiful and efficient of this style of wing. Their aspect ratios produce performance I can only dream about but at the expense of my wings advantages. If mistreated they will bite you. Having said that they are still extremely safe. Because of their agility, many daredevils are attracted to them and as a consequence dangerous flying has resulted in fatalities. As with any form of flight, it is as safe or dangerous as you make it.

John

Guest turnbase

Thanks for the info. I've had fun in a C150 gliding back from Payneville dead stick to land at Bairnsdale once. Yes I had an instructor on board and had a ball. Thermaling I think not but fun to glide however. I know of a couple of Aerochutes down my way but have never been interested until now. Would possibly love to give a PPG a go as it could fit in the car and launch on the beach. Is there any restrictions on where you could launch from?

Legally speaking I cannot say for the PPG’s but I need permission from the land owner before I can take off and land or fly below 500ft. Other restrictions apply such as flying over built up areas, over roads and near people on the ground. Mostly it is common sense so as not to hurt or annoy anyone or their property, including livestock. Physically speaking, a clear area void of obstacles to run into, about the size of a football field is preferred. This gives room for any problems that may arise during take off and landing. I am no expert but single up have managed to take off in 25 meters and land even shorter. The PPG’s would seem to be very similar and with experience even better than what I can do. Safety margins are the PIC’s responsibility as with knowing the machines and your limitations.

I would also love to give the PPG's a go but for me I just wounder if at my age I can physically keep up with one on the ground. They do however have what they call PPG trikes which are basically PPG on a light three or four wheeled frame. I believe they can be separated and return to their PPG roots minus the wheeled frame. The technical difference between the PPG trike and a PPC is it’s weight. I believe the cut off weight for the trike is around 75-78kg and then it is classified as a PPC. The trikes are also able to be broken down and transported in a car as you mentioned.

John

• Like 1

Guest turnbase

Thanks John, most informative.

Did a search on the net for some info and found the PPG trikes as you mentioned. They look like fun and I can agree the PPG wing with motor could, for me as well be limited with regards to weight. Might have to investigate further. While I've got a PPL the attraction to having a flying machine that would be truly portable sounds fun. Naturally while you could take off from almost any location the limitations would be similar from all types of airmanship, "Don't piss off the locals" as that's just asking for trouble.

Wondering on an Aerochute, can you turn the engine off and thermal or isn't the canopy as efficient as some of the PPG's?

... It would be one hell of a thermal to keep you up. The wing is just not designed to do that. Yet as inefficient as the wing is, like the C150, it is very easy to fly and very forgiving. ...

I have had a few encounters with some strong uplifts (scared me at first, until I got used to them) but as Forex said, they really aren't designed for constant thermaling.

If you do have a real interest to go Aerochuting, but can't find any locals, and you have a suitable property available, you might consider hosting a few for a weekend! :thumb_up:020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif