Flight Sim - Radio Training

gecko__

Hi everyone - I'm new to flight sim. I'm training in at Jandakot in an Evektor Sportstar and am looking for a home flight simulator that I can practice radio calls to SMC and ATC with in relation to the Jandakot area.

Can anyone recommend a simulator and any add on's, and where I can get them from?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks, Jason

Sorry Gecko, I don't understand? The calls use standard words, there's not a lot of variation, and all the details are in AIP. Once you know what to say you can make the calls for real, and you will get good 'real world' feedback! What is it you are unsure about? The responses you will get from ATC?

Hey Mazda, I understand the calls are standardised but I would like to practice at home so when I'm in the air it comes naturally. I've come across Virtual Air Traffic Simulation network (VATSIM) and I've also found the Live ATC website which will help me get an idea of the different responses that come from ATC, SMC etc.

Guest Jake.f

I recently discovered that liveatc keeps archives, and then I though great!! I can go back and listen to all the calls my instructor made during the lessons so I can do them in future! After I spent a while going through recordings I found that the voice from my instructor was not recorded, so in the recordings (for example one of my last lesson) the tower is jsut having a one sided conversation with us with seemingly no responses 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

I can't think of anything with feedback. The problem is you want a realistic response, and you want to know if you have said something wrong. Otherwise you could repeat the wrong call over and over and learn it!

Why not pair up with another pilot to do this? If you want to make it realistic, do something else at the same time. Like ride a pushbike around the 'circuit' making the radio calls as you go.

I paired up with my instructor and we ran through a heap of scenarios that could be possible.

Not knocking the sim idea, but just thinking it might be more beneficial to do what Mazda is suggesting. The calls might seem hard to get at first, but you do get the hang of it pretty quick.