'Secret' Aircraft registration

Last time I checked my name, address, landline and mobile numbers were in the white pages... which is available on the internet, and in book form. Not to mention business cards that are floating around. I don't have a problem with someone having my name, or being able to access it.

If RAA aircraft are not getting landing fees because of the system, that is just wrong. And needs to be rectified if that's true.

There are some details that don't need to be public, but we do need to operate in such a way we are willing to be known, and not hide behind numbers.

Just my thoughts.

Ref avoiding landing fees - it might be the case that the automatic recording by Avdata and manually by CTA towers is not considered worth the effort due to the relatively small number of RAA registered A/C using these airfields due to relevant restrictions [CTA].

The automatic Avdata recording is being abused by some[many] by useing wrong call signs, only aircraft type, and in some cases not useing the radio at all.

It is my understanding that until the numbers increase to a significant level then the costs/work involved to address the problem is just not worth it.

Obviously this is more so in low density areas where the offender is less likely to be caught in the act by a local.

Frank M

Guest Maj Millard

He's secreted away cfi !!................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I'm still here. Good old tax season's begun early this year for some reason. Not hard to figure out my name if you know where to look. Might be a good exercise for those that are curious.

I expect to receive a postcard from those who have the time.

There's a lot of referencing of privacy legislation going on in this discussion. In my understanding (and i'm open to be proven incorrect) the Privacy legislation only applies to organisations with a turnover of greater than $3million. There are some specific items such as Tax File Numbers also. Does RA-Aus turnover more than $3million per annum?

I think it more likely that RA-Aus has developed and implements its own Privacy Policy. Does anyone know more of the actual legal position that RA-Aus is in with regards to this? As an Incorporated Association under s67 of the ACT incorpoartions Legislation the the association must make its register of members available to at least its members i'm pretty sure.

Maybe if the Avdata people joined the association they could have access to details to charge landing fees?

My point is only if correct call signs are used.

Locally some only use the last 3 numbers of their call sign [for whatever reason]. Of no use to Avdata even if the RAA register is open to all. It is being abused in GA so I cannot see why the inclusion of RAA would improve the situation - possibly make the situation worse.

Read the last edition of AOPA where an aircraft which has not left WA for 20 years received a landing fee charge from the East Coast [One of many from my previous GA experience].

I do not look forward to doing the paper work to prove I was not at a particular place because someone used my call sign to avoid them paying the revelant fee.

This is rife in GA already - do you think RAA would not compound the issue.

I am not talking about privacy legislation but to make RAA more responsible and accountable - I suggest the opposite may well happen should more abuse of call signs etc. could lead to an increased perception of us as being COWBOYS

Whilst I do appreciate the intent of previous posts I suggest everyone consider the negatives as well.

Frank M

I'm just stirring the pot. What's the point of an online forum if you can't do that?

Even if Avdata switched to taking photos instead of using radio they still could not charge a single RA-Aus aircraft a landing fee. I don't work for Avdata - well apart from filling in the paperwork to get aircraft out of landing fees for aerodromes we've never even heard of inline with what frank says above.

Honestly cficare - it would take 30 seconds to figure out my name if you're interested. I'm not proposing name tags for all pilots and aircraft but rather an open system where people are accountable for their actions and anyone can make them accountable. I believe that such a system exists on this site without the need for us all to provide everyone with our names and addresses thanks to the moderators and the sign-up process. If RA-Aus were as diligent as the moderators of this site and held firm to the primary principles of RA-Aus as the moderators do to the principles of this site then we wouldn't be having this conversation in my view.

I'm just stirring the pot. What's the point of an online forum if you can't do that?Even if Avdata switched to taking photos instead of using radio they still could not charge a single RA-Aus aircraft a landing fee. I don't work for Avdata - well apart from filling in the paperwork to get aircraft out of landing fees for aerodromes we've never even heard of inline with what frank says above.

One aerodrome I used to frequently operate from which had landing fees also had a number of RAA registered aircraft operating. One day when discussing landing fees one of the pilots stated that he never pays landing fees quoting that RA aus aircraft dont pay fees as there is no way of Avdata or aerodrome operator getting the owners addresses unquote. These same folk used to discuss the closure of aerodromes. I wonder if fees were payed by ALL then aerodromes may be viable to the operators of these aerodromes!

I remember reading some two or three years back in the RA aus mag an article by a previous ops manager that if he ever received an account for fees from an aerodrome operator or AVDATA then he would add from memoary 10% to the account and pass it on to the registered owner. I wonder if this has ever happened.