Consider X Plane 9.0

daddy-jake

The hours I've spent on simulators over the years is shameful. I've flown every version of MS flight sim and made it my mission to get the latest version when it came out. One day I stumbled on X plane. Because it's open sourse it's hackable - they even provide tutorials on how to do it. The latest version comes with 6 dual layer DVD that make up 60 GB of scenery ( you dont have to install all 6 dvd's) I have not seen it in shops for over 6 years. I bought it online for US$29 and 10 bucks freight. There is a demo you can download that is failry massive if you've got the time and the bandwidth to get away with it. Anyway, it's a great tool for those days when it's Wx is to bad to be out there doing it for real. :aussie:

almost forgot the address so you can check it out.

http://www.x-plane.com/

I've just recently got X-Plane 9. After years of MS Flight Sim, it was nice to have a simulator that was a breeze to set up! I also love the fact that someone has taken the time to program a Jabiru J160 for it, too! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif 076_joystick.gif.1d2ed07889352a966338f6390696faff.gif

I purchased my first MS FS V5.1 and upgraded to each new release. I tried xPlane on my Mac using the Mac version and found it to be lacking close realism but the MS FS on either Mac bootcamp or Parralels shone brilliantly. Pitty MS no longer produce the flight sim but thanks to hundreds of dedicated and talented developers we can still enjoy this remarkable simulator. Chris

• 1 year later...

I'm a long term MS FS user. And the last version, FSX was definitely a mixed blessing. On the one hand they introduced realism features such as specular water reflections and lens flare when looking at the sun. They also introduced SimConnect which was great for 'pit builders like myself.

But on the other hand, the performance went down and there were some odd limitations in the interface and internal modelling that were a backward move from FS9. If they had stuck with it, it could have been improved, but MS disbanded the Aces team and the Fs is history.

I never got around to x plane. Now I have a real plane I'll probably dismantle and discard the sim.

I used to have X-Plane on my computer, but the computer failed and I havn't put it on the replacement. Dont use a sim much.

The big advantage with X-Plane is that you can model any plane you like. I modelled the Corby and it flies just like the real thing, except as I didn't have rudder pedals I couldn't control it on the ground. I fund it more realistic than Microsoft Flight Sim as far as the flying goes.

Version 10 is now available, see the item in News.

• 5 months later...

The worldeditor and such is open source

I find xplane 9 to be great for procedure practice and things like that.. Ifr, ils approaches..playing with certified avionics.

Haven't tried 10 yet but I think I will get it and buy a yoke and pedals. I have a full hotas setup, but it doesn't really work for GA type flying. Was good for falcon 4, lomac, and all the other dcs hardcore sims back in the day.

If anyone is interested, have a look at trackir. It's a head tracking system that allows you to look around your virtual cockpit by just moving your head.

I've only ever tried flightgear, mainly cause I use Linux and its been around for a long time. I have no idea how it compares to other PC or commercial flight sims. I can't really judge it as my flying time is only 2.5 hours.