Controlled Airspace

Guest Stixy

King,

I think Zane was refering to a higher GA License. A case of apples and oranges flying wise that is.

I think this is what the RAA are pushing for with the CTA endo. Unfortunately all RAA endo's and flying are done OCTA, and we are not examined on the requirements of operations within CTA plus some other ICAO requirements, i would agree that some RAA type pilots/ CFI's and instructers have an extraordinary level of skill and knowledge, but it is untested for operations in CTA ( without having a PPL or higher GA Lic. ) and CASA would need that assurity before granting entry. I struggle with the requirement to have my GA Lic. current before being able to go into CTA with an RAA aircraft, this is a pain, i have been able to get around it by being an ATC, so i am up to date with Radio Teleph. and proceedures etc, but others wont. My 1500+ hours should count for something.

I would recomend a chat to the Ultralight school that has opened at Archerfield, i think it is called Dragon, they must have a dispensation from CASA but surely they will have to teach, train and examine their students on operations within CTA. They would probably have a full RAA lic. with some extra GA type quals' to comply with CASA. I wonder if one of their students once fully lic'd with RAA would permit them to fly into other CTA's other than YBAF ? If so, i am sure their student list will baloon out of sight. I think once RAA get an approved sylabus and trained / approved instructors, we will have access to CTA, but i can't see the likes of my aircraft being able to enter without first getting a dispensation from CASA ( uncertified airframe and uncertified engine ). Which really is fine by me, i don't want it for everyday use, just one off's for special occasions. I have been turned down a few times as the reasons were not adequate, i wanted to check out an Aircraft carrier from the US was one.

The RPL thing i believe is only attached to places that have a recognised training facility approval, who gives it or where it comes from i don't know, maybe DEET 9 Dept. of Education Employment and Training ) or TAFE. I personally would avoid somewhere that dosen't recognise my current experience, especially when you are going from GA training to RAA type, that's just me though, and sometimes you get caught with no real other option !

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davidh10
...Could a RA-Aus Pilot certificate holder already of a higher licence than a minimum PPL licence holder? For example RA-Aus endorsements and further training within the RA-Aus, like - A junior instructor, a senior instructor, a chief flying instructor. In my opinion it could be argued that the examples above would be recognised as a higher licence holder with their experience (thousands of hours in training and flying) and qualification than a minimum hour PPL.

Two issues with that wish:-

• The RAA Certificate holder must also hold a "CASA Licence" that is PPL or higher plus CTA endorsement, class 2 medical, etc..

• An RAA Pilot Certificate has only two Levels (Ops Manual Sect 2.05) "Student" or "Pilot". "Instructor" and Senior Instructor" are Ratings and CFI is an Approval of a "Senior Instructor", allowing the approval holder to run a FTF.

Although magazine articles give the simple story, you really have to go back to the legislation for the detail. From a legislative perspective a "Pilot Certificate" is not a "License". For the sake of a reference, see CAO95-32 (5) which provides the exemption from holding a "License".

Don't confuse reasoning or argument with legislation. 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

Wouldn't the operation depend upon people being under the "Tutelage" of the CFI at Archerfield? I am guessing that the dispensation would allow the CFI (who after all is the backbone of the flying schools) to sign "students" out after completing the relevant check training???

Guest davidh10
Wouldn't the operation depend upon people being under the "Tutelage" of the CFI at Archerfield?...

Yep. See an actual dispensation document linked, by Ignition, earlier in this thread at Post #68

The current law is PPL [or higher] CASA licence - no area for debate

What happens in the future is another thing but the current legislation is clear - any attempt to read the legislation to suit a particular circumstance is a waste of time - as Davidh10 stated that is the current legislation whether one agrees with it or not.

Frank M

• Like 1

Broome will be vastly different now, full ATC class D style, should help out some and keep it safe for all.

Yes, great, except I have been flying in and out of there for 10 years - and now I can't

The other option to GA Lite might be to have all aircraft over 60kts crz speed to be regd. VH in the experimental catagory ? We definately don't want this, but a few years ago it was discussed as there were several "Plastic Fantastic" ( i'm not being rude, just my jealosy shining through ) aircraft coming into the Australian market that the powers to be were concerned where these aircraft would BEST fit the industry as a whole. Thankfully they elected to have them ( in the majority ) placed into the RAA registry. I believe the AUF at the time also aided CASA in their decission to go this way ( from our perspective, it is the better way to go ) . Those of us ( me included ) who want to go into CTA, have to be content with the regs as they are, they may change in the future but that will surely exclude some of us ( like my 19 Regd. Fisher MK1 ). So be it, but we can always plan and hope for the future. I started flying Ultralights in 1988, and since then the organisation has really moved mountains for the membership, as we grow and develop more will come. Don't forget, the folks at RAA have to go up againts CASA, they can be difficult at times and their ( CASA ) stance on non profit generating activities such as ours tends to change drastically over time and especially when the Minister or the head of CASA changes, then it's anyone guess as to their direction and priorities.