New to small aircraft

Bob Young

The 120 looks smaller than they really feel. I've had some pretty large blokes in with me at times... You'll enjoy it I reckon.

• Like 1

If you want something bullet proof and reliable, and get in and out of anywhere, you cant go past a Savannah.

Cruise at 87 Kts for 6 hrs hrs endurance, take off and land at MTOW in under 100 mtrs. (makes the option for forced landings a lot more plentiful) Rotax 912 reliability, Climbs at 10oo Ft/min 2 up with full main tanks. (1 up and 1/4 in each main and you will get to 1000 ft circuit height after just 1000 mtrs over the ground or half the length of the strip at WYOL) good payload (280 empty, MTOW 560) and good for bigger blokes as well. and fly doors off for summer!

• Like 1

I reckon what you will find Bob is that although the aircraft are small... they leave most GA types for dead. Most have been designed to fit our modern larger bodies.

Good luck... I reckon you will love it... whatever type you decide on.... then again for the price of the provost you could have a fleet of aircraft... ? lol

I reckon what you will find Bob is that although the aircraft are small... they leave most GA types for dead. Most have been designed to fit our modern larger bodies.Good luck... I reckon you will love it... whatever type you decide on.... then again for the price of the provost you could have a fleet of aircraft... ? lol

Thanks for all the good information. I'm looking at a Savannah as well because a local ultralight club member recommended it as well.

I realy didn't know this world of high performance airplanes existed.

Check these 2 videos out for the savannah the first one is in south africa with about 15 knots of wind on the nose the second one is local here in Brisbane in a suburban 5 acre block and no wind

Unbelievable! Thanks for that.

Hi bobWell there are lots of aircraft to choose from in LSA what are you lookig for,good luck

Kind regards Kevin

That's why I came to this forum-for clarity. There are so many great options available it is going to be tough to choose. There is a microlight fly-in this weekend. I think I'll go and get even more impressed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Provost is up for sale.

What I get for it will determine the airplane I replace it with. I'd like a Bird Dog (I flew them in the Army) or a Stearman (expensive, but cool), but the Savannah looks like it has the performance I want.

Still open for tips and advice.

I fly a Savanah S Bob... that is the factory built version. I recently finished my Ra-Aus certificate in this flying school aircraft and I can attest to the fact they are a great flying machine... like a SuperCub on a diet. They aren't fast at a max cruise of no more than 87ish knots (on a good day)... Fuel consumption less than 18 litres per hour... Aussie cost is less than $100k factory brand new in Australia... the local one has some problems with the paint finish so not perfect... remember these are trully Light Sport Aircraft...

I have also flown a machine called a Texan LSA by Fly Sythesis... these are a bloody beauty made in Glass... Still take off very short but cruise at 110knots... Different strokes for different folks I guess...

39917_1522633873485_1463738353_2928810_3931156_n.jpg

These cost about $120k Australian..

Both the Savanah and Texan are great pilots aircraft... Given a choice? One of each but you can't beat a bit of speed when you want to get somewhere...

• Like 1

Hi Winsor

Maybe the prop you have on the flying school one maybe a little down in pitch or probably the std 68 inch prop. The XL of Bills has a 72 inch bolly and it had no problem sitting on 90 knots at 5000 to 5200. When I was flying it I dropped the rpm back to 5000 and seemed to easily cruise at 90 knots indicated fine. The latest Sport Pilot magazine here has the basic S factory built at $81,000 inc get and the basic XL at $78,000 inc gst

Mark

• Like 1

Do any LSA have constant speed props, or is that hoping for too much?

Yes, in the Pioneer series aircraft, you can now get the proper CSU set up fitted apparently.

Most of them have the tractive type propeller, which is like a constant speed but not really. You set the prop speed by a little button, then manifold pressure. It's more inflight variable pitch control than CSU (I think). The one I fly has an Electric variable pitch prop Idrovario with constant speed unit. (just looked the actual name of it up!)

There will be a few at Bundy in a couple weekends for the show. http://www.alpiaviation.com/aa/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1297&Itemid=678&lang=en

I spoke to the Bolly guys a few weeks ago they are about to release their manual adjust and electric adjust CSU...manual adjust is about $5000 and electric is $6000...it can be fitted no drama to any Rotax 912 easily as the rotax gearbox has the hole though the centre shaft already. Their electric one has the preset positions and auto as well as a manual mode with indicator so you can pick whiter pitch you want for the rpm. I am thinking I will fit one to my Savannah after a while

Mark

Guest pookemon
Looks like I'll have to lose weight to fly this airplane. I like the slow stall speed.

Hi Bob and Welcome to the forum.

In terms of spacious cabin I had a bit of a look at a Tecnam P92 Super Echo (which is currently advertised on the RAA web site http://raa.asn.au/market/index.html). The cabin struck me as being huge (mind you I was comparing it to the Gazelle that I fly - which comes with a shoe horn and a tub of yak fat).

hi Bob

There are a number of ausie made aircraft that offer great value in comparison to imports and no problems with spare parts. I have recently taken delivery of a Morgon Sierra and am very impressed with it.Worth a trip to Tarry NSW to see

Reg Kevin

I think what KJFab means that if you get over to NSW you should Tarry for a few days at a beautiful place called Taree and visit the Morgan Aeroworks.

Kev's not the best of spellers but he is a bloody good pilot and that's more important.:thumb_up:

Son-in-law Alan.

oops bob i have noticed you are in NZ ,well if you visit aus it will be worth a trip to morgan aeroworks

The wife and I are planning a visit to the West Island this summer. I'll have a look if I don't have something before then.

Thanks!