SDS fuel injection

gerard1

• 1 month later...
Guest jabbawok

Check out the developments on SA on the Avcom website under aircraft type discussions for Jabiru. Huge progress made on R&D for Fuel injection system by Jabiru SA factory. Initial figures blow your mind what can be achieved.

I just posted a reply on this website last night to try to get a kit for the 3300 engine. The 2200 engine kit is currently being used in a plane with great results. The 3300 kit will go into a plane this weekend. The guys doing these kits say that the Bundy Factory are aware of what they are doing. I hope that means we will be able to purchase these kits soon.

Keep you posted.

SP6

I just posted a reply on this website last night to try to get a kit for the 3300 engine. The 2200 engine kit is currently being used in a plane with great results. The 3300 kit will go into a plane this weekend. The guys doing these kits say that the Bundy Factory are aware of what they are doing. I hope that means we will be able to purchase these kits soon.Keep you posted.

SP6

Have had hawk eyes on the avcom site for some time . Thanks

Will be interesting to see what different types of kits become available.

The first kit they are using seems to utilise the distributors but the coils are fired electronically and are adjustable unlike the fixed timing ignition currently used. Also they have multipoint fuel injection fitted to each intake runner. Both these things should make a big improvement to the power and efficiency of the motor. I would still like to keep the carby and use it as a thottle body so that if anything was to ever go wrong with the injection you turn a tap or flick a switch and you back onto the original carby set up.

Exciting times ahead with what is out there.

JABSP6

The RSA kit, runs PORT injection, not multipoint, so distribution problems could still exist also runs full electronic redundancy, which is good but complex

SDS setup has injectors at each intake runner and uses carb as backup

SDS also has full ignition system if required, I think it can be set up to replace just one mag too, leaving other as back up

Jabiru know about it but certainly arent involved or do they approve

• More 1

I live in SA and never heard of this one Don, more information please.Alan.

I have been running EFI on my Jabiru for 7 years(400hours) with no problems. My climb rate full fuel and 90Kg pilot is 200ft/min. At 125 kn I use 15-17lt/hour. There are also a 3 other Jab 6 engines I have set up EFI on. One has 200+ hours , one 200+ and the other 140 hours without problems.

The only problem I have had is that the Jab alternator is marginal at idle & up to 1200RPM, the EFI uses 2amps more than the alernator is making, it breaks even at 1400RPM. I have now fitted a 45AMP alternator which ahas fixed all my cahrging problems,the engine also idles better and appears to have more power due to the alternator not charging at max all the time and dumping it to earth like the jab alernator.

Cheers Helmut.

• Like 1

G'day Helmut, Great to hear from you again. I think you might have a typo above in you left a zero off your climb rate - 2,000 ft/min? I was over your way nearly 12 months back to talk to Dennis B about a Lightning and gave you a ring but couldn't raise you. Next time . . .Alan,

Helmut is a very experienced professional and has done an incredible amount of engineering work to achieve these results. It is a real pity that Jab just don't want to know about it.

You are correct Rod,evenwith 3cyl running I should achieve 200ft/min, must have been half asleap when I wrote it.

It would have been good to catch up, I might make it to Temora next year. I am currently setting up the engine in my freinds new nearly completed Lightning , this will have electronic fuel and spark control . After I get the spark maps set up I and trim the fuel maps accordingly I expect to get more improvement to fuel economy in cruise.

Cheers Helmut.

• More 1

Link for the South African discussion; http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=82492 . I realise these are two different systems, however it is an indication of what is possible. Interesting that the SA Jabiru factory have been doing a lot of engine development work, only partly on account of the high density altitudes that many of them fly at. Unlike certain circles locally, the engines there have a good reputation for reliability. Exciting possibilities!

Link for the South African discussion; http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=82492 . I realise these are two different systems, however it is an indication of what is possible. Interesting that the SA Jabiru factory have been doing a lot of engine development work, only partly on account of the high density altitudes that many of them fly at. Unlike certain circles locally, the engines there have a good reputation for reliability. Exciting possibilities!

Don't wish to sound sarcastic, but it may be better to consider a new Jab engine complete with mods from the South African factory?

Alan.

• 6 years later...

I looked over the antenna and radio fitted to a Q200 quickie not that long ago. He is based in Wondai if you email me or PM me I have his email. He arrived here and taxiied up and I thought that doesnt sound as I expected I asked him and he said he had a Jab 80hp in it and I sort of cringed and he said...but I have fixed it. I said how and he said he had fitted the SRS fuel injection into it. Said the engine ran as sweet as a nut and temps never any issue as he can control the mixture to suit and ALL temps are well within the limits. He had more than 50 hrs on it. When he left we watched the start and I have to say I have never seen a Jab start so smoothly or easily and it did sound different for sure and the other guys watching said the same thing. If I was you I would certainly consider it

Yes looks good, havent heard a bad report yet

4 cyl have individual injector trim which is awesome

6 cyl need extra ecu to get this feature from SDS.........$$$

Someone in RSA was working with Aus company for efi, think its been delayed by other Jabiru engine problems

• 1 month later...

Well, if it's any help I made an enquiry in November as to cost for a 4cyl and here's what you're in for-

Shipping cost is good, but the add-on, (mostly necessary I would think too...) do tend to add up.

The single ECU, single pump setup is $3100US. Other options:

2nd pump $160

Dual ECU $1200

Wideband kit $150

Cyl. fuel trim $300

Fuel flow $100

PC data logging $100

Air mail shipping would vary between about $110-$145 depending on options.

• 3 weeks later...

We have around a 15 SDS EFI kits out there flying on 2200, 3300 and 5100 engines, some for many years now. I believe one used for flight training is closing in on 2000 hours now. Every one flying is using a single ECU and most are doing fuel control only- no spark control. We can do the individual cylinder fuel trim on 2200s with a single ECU, 3300s would require the dual board ECU. Injector bosses must be TIG welded to the induction tubes.