Dave Sykes Has Landed in Oz

Ronin

I have started a new thread to let everyone know that Dave has officially landed, i have contacted him and let him know to pop onto the site and have a look and possibly leave a message etc, there is a minor issue that his computer sounds like it is having a melt down so i am not sure what if anything i may here, but i will paste it to this landed thread if i do get anything from him.

Dave, if you get a chance to see this, a big WELL DONE from everybody here 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif :aussie:

Eric

• Like 3

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave has landed in Darwin as at about 3.13pm this afternoon 9th August, an incredible effort 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif He's really started to push it since getting the craft fixed up, i have not heard anything at this time, but really with a near busted computer i was not expecting much, hopefully we will hear something soon and i will post whatever he sends to this thread... Eric

Hey Mark, I have actually written to the 7 network Sunrise morning show but nothing has surfaced from that so i am not sure how news worthy some people think a story has to be before they follow it up. I am happy to do more but it would be good for others to write as well the more the merrier also might get some action if they think more people might be interested.....Eric

I do work for for the local TV stations here in Brisbane I will see if I can rustle up some media..the guys I deal with are mainly the techos but will see how we goMark

Thanks, this is worthy of some media exposure as not only is it a great feat anyway. but by a courageous man with disabilities, it's even more so.

Congratulations Dave! We are all proud of what you have achieved, and you are an inspiration to just so many of us.

I for one would love to have the opportunity to meet you and buy you a beer, even if it's not a warm one.

Kind Regards

Planey

Guest pembs

Yep I contacted 7 too but nothing back, Steve Runciman and the CEO are on the case and will be meeting him in Sydney, fantastic effort bloody amazing fella from my home town in good O'l blighty!

Barcaldine (my old stamping ground) is putting on a welcome for Dave. The Mayor Rob Chandler will be there and offering accommodation and meals, the local pilots are also rallying. Depending on the timing I am hoping to get there too (4 hour drive or 160NM fly). Depending on the type of fuel - this may be donated too.

He'll have to dodge 100,000 fruit bats. There's 10,000 in one back yard alone. 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Sue

Footage from Northern Territory News

Dave was to fly Timor to Darwin, but encountered 25kt headwinds and occasional cough from the donk, so he diverted to Truscott in WA, then flew to Darwin the next day. He is still in Darwin. Sydney Morning Herald did an article on him in May so they will probably cover his arrival too. He's also on Crikey. Fortunately there were some people (& media) to welcome him to Darwin.

Nearly there mate ...

Sue

Dave left Darwin and I can only guess he had engine/aircraft worries as he diverted west to a strip near Batchelor. Today he hugged the Stuart Highway going South and has now landed at Elsey Station Homestead (made famous by the books by Jeannie Gunn - We of the Never Never, The Little Black Princess) near Mataranka Northern Territory. His next stop is probably Renner Springs Homestead about 100km north of The Three Ways, north of Tenant Creek. His itinerary then takes him to Barkley Homestead NT and on to Cloncurry Qld.

On another forum a friend of Dave's mentioned the long over water legs and remarked that "Takes more guts then lots realize, you see Dave can't swim." At least he's over land now, although airstrips and civilisation are sparce.

Sue

This guy is amazing. Through an amazing twist of coincidence my Sister and niece are driving from Darwin back home to Boonah and have met up with Dave at Mataranka and keep bumping into him at restaurants and airfields on their journey home. I am begging her to get his autograph and ask him if he wants someone to show him around South East Queensland when he finally gets here. I reckon my Drifter and his Trike would cruise about the same speed and I know this place like the back of my hand HAHHAHHHAA - what an inspiration this guy is!!!!!!

• Like 1

Yes it does amaze we can have doom and gloom but can't put something on the news whether on the tube or in print about something that someone has done that could be considered so inspirational doesn't matter whether you fly or not, this is a feat and a half by a person who has had part of his body made not useable to him, poor effort by our media gods :DirtDOG: .....Eric