Pubs I want to fly to one day....

Thanks JG, was wondering if anyone would get Musgrave Station. Barkley Roadhouse is another up in the gulf.

I put in Barkley Roadhouse in the NT. Is there another in the gulf area??

JG

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the Golf Club is at the southern end of the airport, great lunches! Probably a 10 minute walk from the airport gate to the club. (And all Circuits are to the East, over the water.) Also the airport has some small facilities where you can get a pie and a cuppa. (As with most airports) and Generally you do need an ASIC.Highly Recommended (And dont be afraid to drop into Moruya either while your in the area). 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Yeh, I know Merimbula. It's a beautiful place! Camped there for a couple of days while northern NSW was being flooded in '09. Normally wouldn't be allowed to camp on the airfieldfield, but friendly manager obliged. About 2 km to town, but a very pleasant walk. Didn't know about the Golf Club, but that sounds good. Definitely need ASIC card there! The only place I've had someone examine it closely (twice) to see that it was current. Security is a big deal there, with electric fence and infrared light beams!

I'll add it to the map right now, thanks for the reminder.

Moruya is more like 4km to town, so a bit much of a walk.

JG

This one is a gold resort... A group of Ra-Aus pilots will be staying at the resort next month and one of the couples is flying in to the "International Airport" in a Savanah S...------> http://www.lagunawhitsundays.info/

I have stayed at the Resort before and its bizarre... A luxury resort in the middle of no-where with a great BIG airstrip next to it...

I am not sure if any other Ra-Aus aircraft have flown here much before but I reckon it is a great place for a weekend stay by aircraft...

Just added this one to the map.

I've started a new category of 'Fly-In Resorts', designated by purple markers.

JG

Paynes Find. Littered with mine shafts and still being mined for gold. Could be worth a visit with gold fetching > $1800 an ounce eh?Pud

I just added it to the map. Looks really interesting. I like that gold country out there. Thanks.

JG

Try the Prairie Hotel at Parachilnya SA for great food, friendly people and nice accommodation. Strip is an old road with a bit of a kink in it but its OK.

Just added it to the map. Please check to see if I've marked the strip correctly...

JG

Another great strip is at Loam Reastaurant on the Balarine Peninsula near Queenscliffe at Philip Myer's property. Just got nominated for best new restaurant. Very Degustation style Menu, where you have to look for the food on the plate...but worthy of a stop anyday.

I just marked it on the map. Please check to see if I've found the proper strip.

JG

1. Innamincka... haven't flown there yet.2. Hillston

3. Gascoyne Junction (if they rebuild it)

4. Bangemall (if they re-licence it)

kaz

Hillston added. Looks like a good one, thanks.

JG

Mallacoota Inlet just South of the NSW/Vic border. Great people magnificent scenery and Gabo Is just off the coast. You can ring for a taxi from the airfield into town - a bit further than walking distance for most. Fabulous new runway long wide and sealed - it is of course in ERSA.

Yeh, it's a brilliant place, see photo. Cliffs and caves across the road. Great little seaside town.

Way to far to walk to town, but a good visit if you're willing pay taxiis......

JGMallacoota.JPG.1380db988c861dc580a4c1c741b127bc.JPG

There was some talk about it but I don't recall what the plan was. The previous Vic Government was hell bent on putting in a new boat ramp in a place the locals didn't want it but the plans were scrapped by the new government.

Nobody important to the new gummint wants to retire to Mallacoota eh?... What a pity....051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif Still, they've got a grand airfield, and it's a lovely village... two and a half out of three ain't bad.

Orchid Beach on Fraser Island.

It's a grass strip about 650m long, right by a servo and coffee place/little shop called The Trading Post. You pay a $20 landing fee to them.

It's right by the sea. Fly at legal hight up the East coast of Fraser and as you get to the top, it's there on your left.

Great for a picnic, and there is accomodation nearby.

Orchid Beach on Fraser Island.It's a grass strip about 650m long, right by a servo and coffee place/little shop called The Trading Post. You pay a $20 landing fee to them.

It's right by the sea. Fly at legal hight up the East coast of Fraser and as you get to the top, it's there on your left.

Great for a picnic, and there is accomodation nearby.

Good one, it's on the map now.

JG

Nebo Pub at Nebo in Qld (just outside Mackay)... the strip bitumen and the pub is only a few hundred meters down the road for meals.

Good one! Got it on the map now.

JG

years ago...i flew some mates to the Birdsville races...on the way we stopped at Leigh Creek and stayed at the Copley pub.....

Sounds like a great place to visit, but would need wheels - it's about 4-5km from the airfield to the pub.....

No refueler there these days......

JG

Guest Maj Millard

Dingo Roadhouse, Dingo Qld. Well situated in central Qld about half way between Emerald and Rockhampton (just East of Blackwater.) Full service 24 Hr road-house with air-conditioned accomodation out back. Large grass strip behind (council owned but maintained by the roadhouse owner) Easy fueling if you park right behind the servo. Great food esp breakfast, and small general supply store in roadhouse. Friendly local pub across highway. Roadhouse and pub owned by fellow flier who welcomes all types of aircraft. Watch short taxi from strip to roadhouse parking area...can be rough. Also large trucks using parking area also. Parking area can be muddy if there's been rain...leave aircraft at strip.

Emu Park, Central Qld. Small coastal beach town with well kept grass strip about 1 klm from superb beachs on the beautifull Capricorn coast. Caravan park close by right on beach and local pub all easily accessable from strip. On the coast East of Rockhampton and South of the larger coastal town of Yeppoon. (Where's yeppoon you ask ???....right next to your knife and fork !).

Charleville Hotel, Charleville Qld. Strip has many runway options for all winds. Small cafe on airport, taxi available for short trip to town full of motels and very large block long historic pubs. An interesting town built on past wool fortunes.

Nebo Hotel, Nebo Qld. On western side of the coastal ranges West of Mackay Qld. Historic pub with great steaks and cold beer a short walk from the small but adequet sealed strip. Also see Windsor 68 report on Nebo.

Taroom, south Central Qld. Small friendly prosperous country town with all facilities and great pubs. Large main airport is some distance South of town, however large well kept grass strip just north of town with a comfortable walk to town.

Chinchilla , south central Qld. Great airport with one sealed and one grass strip, both well kept. A-frame airport lounge with facilities. Fuel available from local aeroclub members. You'll need a lift or taxi to town but great place to overnight and recharge, with excellent RSL hotel/motels and pubs.Watch out for sizable macrapods at the airport when landing !.....

Guest Maj Millard

Wandoan, south central Qld, Small rural country town with well place airstrip immediatly North of town. Grass strip is long and wide, fenced and well maintained. Watch the high tower just to the west of the strip, and a possible hazard if landing from the west whilst on final. Short walk to town for shops, food or fuel from servo.

Emu Park, Central Qld. Small coastal beach town with well kept grass strip about 1 klm from superb beachs on the beautifull Capricorn coast. Caravan park close by right on beach and local pub all easily accessable from strip. On the coast East of Rockhampton and South of the larger coastal town of Yeppoon. (Where's yeppoon you ask ???....right next to your knife and fork !).

Taroom, south Central Qld. Small friendly prosperous country town with all facilities and great pubs. Large main airport is some distance South of town, however large well kept grass strip just north of town with a comfortable walk to town.

Maj

Emu Park - I've marked what might be the strip, but it's not clear. Please check to see if it's correct. If so, that's a really valuable strip, cause there's not much choice in that area since Hedlow closed.

Taroom - Can you describe the location of that strip north of town?? I can't find it on the satellite view..

JG

Wandoan, south central Qld, Small rural country town with well place airstrip immediatly North of town. Grass strip is long and wide, fenced and well maintained. Watch the high tower just to the west of the strip, and a possible hazard if landing from the west whilst on final. Short walk to town for shops, food or fuel from servo.

That's a good one, thanks, added to the map. I'd forgotten about that one. Landed there many years ago when I found it chance..

JG

This is the state of the map at present

Pubs and Food Map

For those who are unfamiliar with manipulating Google Maps, here are some tips:

- Move around the map by click and drag.

- Click on 'Satellite' or 'Map' in the upper right corner to switch between map and satellite view.

- Zoom in our out with the +- scale on the left side, or with the thumb wheel on the mouse.

- Zoom right in close in 'Satellite' view to have a good look at the strip and surrounds.

JG

Guest Maj Millard

JG, Yes Emu park is in a good spot. I also used Hedlow when going to Old Station and it was a great spot, it's a shame we lost . The strip at Emu park is just up the back of town, runs 90 deg off the road running North out of town. Not more than a Klm off the beach. I looked at it last night on GEarth, there's houses on the beach side and what looks like some industrial sheds on the other. I haven't used it in some years so some local imput would be welcome on current usage etc. This section of the Capricorn coast is some of the most senic flying I've done with wide landable hard sand beaches, and superb water colour.

Taroom, the pretty well maintained grass strip just north of town runs along the western side of the highway, there's some ploughed paddocks around it, bush on the other side of road. It's well marked by cones. Don't know if it's private of council owned. Less than a Klm walk to town. The other big stip which is actually Taroom/Wandowan is way south of town, it's a good strip with a little transit hut but nothing else and is way too far from Taroom itself unless someone met you. I have used it for a pee stop or to transfer fuel.

Wandowan, yes good strip this one if you miss the tower on final !....I was heading south for Chinchilla once pushing a big headwind and decided to drop in for more fuel. Short walk to town and the servo owners were happy to run me back to the strip with fuel (twice), made it worth their while by purchasing some new road maps from them also !............ya just can't carry too many road maps now can you ?..............................Cheers Maj

Guest Maj Millard

JG, The info gathered so far is very impressive, all over the country. Don't know what took us so long to do it !. I've added it to my favorites and I'll be able to access in flight with the note pad which I have mounted to panel now. Might I suggest as folks use the spots they could file updates on facilities, as things do change occasionally as we all know....Also of course a great flight-planning tool...........................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Emu Park - OK, I think that's what I've marked on the map. The strip actually runs N/S and is at right angles to the road to Rocky. There's houses all along the east side, and self-storage sheds to the west.

Taroom - OK, I've found that one, and it's now on the map.

Wandoan - Yeh, I found it pretty much the same as you did. Flying a 50kt ultralight with a 447. Had landed on the main Taroom field late on a Saturday afternoon hoping to find glider fliers for a ride to town, but deserted.... Next morning early (Sunday), got out on the highway with a jerry can, but no traffic.... So headed on south with remaining fuel, and faith...... Found Wandoan with welcome relief just where I really needed it.

Don't know what took us so long to do it !

Yes, I've been wanting this info for a long time. Maybe this will now be it.

And yes, it needs constant updating. I can open it up to anyone to edit, but have a feeling that could get out of hand. I'm willing to maintain it and add airstrips and modify it as info comes to hand.

Hopefully Ian can put it on it's own button, like those for Classifieds, Photo Competition, etc.

Then anyone can post corrections and new strips on here and I'll add them to the map.

JG

• Like 1