Pubs I want to fly to one day....

We have forgotten about the best one yet!!! Shute Harbour... Wave Airpark and the Beaver Bar... Only problem is the 100 hour minimum PIC requirement but if you meet that very well worth the visit... There is the FlameTree Caravan Park 200 meters walk away so you have food, accommodation and a great little bitumen airstrip... and the added bonus of a good chance of meeting the Major while there.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have forgotten about the best one yet!!! Shute Harbour... Wave Airpark and the Beaver Bar... Only problem is the 100 hour minimum PIC requirement but if you meet that very well worth the visit... There is the FlameTree Caravan Park 200 meters walk away so you have food, accommodation and a great little bitumen airstrip... and the added bonus of a good chance of meeting the Major while there.

Shute Harbour now on the map.

JG

Guest Maj Millard

WelI I don't know about added bonus, but yes a great spot for an interesting stay. I'm in van 6 in the park and have been for about 2 years now. During the week only as I go home to Townsville late Friday arvo. There has been some interesting planes dropping in lately, RV-10 from ballina,...nice, a BD-4, lots of Cirruses...all types staying for a day or two.

JG..please post a caution note on this listing. This strip has the potential to be very character-building, if winds are high (above 15 kts) with lots of severe, (and I do mean severe!) turbulance and sink, because of sourrounding hills and terrain, and lots of islands off the coast upwind. It was very windy this week, and even the Caravans and Beavers were grounded some days. This is not a strip for the inexperienced or fainthearted !!..That said, a great place when things are nice, which is most of the time, and I certainly wouldn't want to turn you off the place at all..Generally I'll depart in the Lightwing in most winds, but there are days when I go elsewhere for landing...and I've been in there probabily 100 times or more. As an example, it is possible to see each windsock at either end of the strip indicating high opposite-direction winds on the real bad days!!....The Beaver bar is quite capable of mixing a good stiff drink however. Good luck..............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

JG..please post a caution note on this listing. This strip has the potential to be very character-building, if winds are high (above 15 kts) with lots of severe, (and I do mean severe!) turbulance and sink, because of sourrounding hills and terrain, and lots of islands off the coast upwind. It was very windy this week, and even the Caravans and Beavers were grounded some days. This is not a strip for the inexperienced or fainthearted !!..That said, a great place when things are nice, which is most of the time, and I certainly wouldn't want to turn you off the place at all..Generally I'll depart in the Lightwing in most winds, but there are days when I go elsewhere for landing...and I've been in there probabily 100 times or more. As an example, it is possible to see each windsock at either end of the strip indicating high opposite-direction winds on the real bad days!!....The Beaver bar is quite capable of mixing a good stiff drink however. Good luck..............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Done

JG

Yep, she's the one. I've never flown there but have driven the track (pretty damn good road when it's graded) and the area is superb and expenisve.

Yeh, expensive accommodation, but camping is $18 pp. Must be quite a unique experience.

JG.

. As an example, it is possible to see each windsock at either end of the strip indicating high opposite-direction winds on the real bad days!!

:yikes:I see what you mean about your "character-building" warning.

Hi,

Was into Emu Park last year in June, landing fee was $5 and the pub that overlooks onto the main beach does a great cheap lunches. The motel(you pass it on the way to the pub) was $90 including a basic breakfast.

Bob.

years ago...i flew some mates to the Birdsville races...on the way we stopped at Leigh Creek and stayed at the Copley pub..........

Hi CFI

The disappointment for me is that avgas is no longer available at Leigh Creek. Apparently the tank needed replacement and the profit didn't warrant the cost involved.

kaz

Has anybody checked out the Grand Hotel at Kookynie recently? Where is Kookynie you may well ask. North of Kalgoorlie.

Our local GP has his parents from the UK visit him annually, and a few years ago we flew them to Leeuwin Estate Winery for lunch, which they throught was tops. The equivalent of Southampton to Paris for lunch!!

Thought lunch at the Grand Hotel, and then down to afternoon tea at The Palace Hotel in Kalgoorlie might be appropriate for a very English couple, Certainly a contrast to Leeuwin!!

Have enjoyed flying into Brown Bros twice. Just the place to stock up on emergency water for a cross Nullabor trip. Reason that if we have to wait for a rescue we may as well enjoy it, and after successfully negotiating the Nullabor without the need to resort to emergency water, we had the bonus of enjoying some of Milawa's best.

I haven't flown into Emu Park yet, another one on the wish list, but I do know it was the saviour airstrip during the floods, the Rocky aircraft went there. I also believe the local Council is planning to build a housing estate on the strip and there is a battle going on, so I would certainly encourage everyone to use it and maybe thank the Council for such an awesome facility! :big_grin:

This really is the BEST thread, keep them coming!

• Like 1

I can see a YKOK pinpointed on my Google Earth but can't see anything that looks like a runway. Where is it reference the "town"?

Can't help you BR, but it sure is an interesting part of the world. About 5nm SE of Kookynie is Niagara Dam, built because of the lack of water in the area in the early days. Trouble is they found good underground water just before Niagara was finished so it never got used for the intended purpose. It's a great camping spot now. Go here to learn more about it. http://www.menzies.wa.gov.au/tourism/things_to_see/niagara_dam.html

The closest airstrip seems to be at Menzies which is approx 30nm on a bearing of 340 from Kookynie

Pud

YJEY Jeedamya is a bit closer at 11 NM on 251Menzies looks more like a bearing of 230 from Kookynie.

Quite correct BR. I mistakenly picked out Leonora on a bearing of 340 from Kookynie.

If you are using Menzies as a stop off point, a flight over Lake Ballard to see the Antony Gormley sculptures might be worth the time.

Pud

I can see a YKOK pinpointed on my Google Earth but can't see anything that looks like a runway. Where is it reference the "town"?

Probably about a century too late for the town Black Rod, as Kookynie is one of the the many ghost towns that exist in the WA Goldfields.

A good number of years ago I can remember aero clubs heading there for flying visits.

I also recall the then CFI of the Kalgoorlie Boulder Aero Club who would do the odd charter to Kookynie for one of the many Goldfields characters, so he could have a weekend bender in glorious isolation. The strip must have been OK then as the charter used a Baron.

Whilst the town may well be quiet now, there in no shortage of mining activity in the area

I like the way you are thinking, two great past times, flying & drinking, not together of course ! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif looks like there are plenty out there with the same idea ! . could set up up a convoy to do an out back pub Crawl, i meant fly !

I can highly recommend Yaraka (ALA) approx 600'ASL S24 53'32 E144 3'46 1000m Bitumen (red) strip approx 06/24 Lovely little pub, accommodation is more than sufficient, 8 beds in four rooms. B&B cost us $50 and dinner was a huge BBQ for a donation to the RFDS. Call 'Thomo' at the pub before arrival 46575526 so he can get the beer cold then hit the local plod up for a ride into town (change to 25 at end of same phone number), though it is easily walkable. Fuel in town, no Avgas but could be arranged.

Only complaint is they don't have beer on tap blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif CANS! 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

SANY0178.JPG

The end of the line (Rail and power).

SANY0182.JPG

Imagine cutting a road with this.

SANY0185.JPG

Used to be sheep country...

SANY0188.JPG

The very end of the strip (and small shed) next to road in, on the far left, one third up between tree lines.

SANY0189.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ravenswood Queensland just south east of Charters Towers is a ghost town very well set up a couple of pubs imperial hotel owners are fantastic offerd us use of a car and pick up and drop at strip the town is a living museum great walking trails to all the old mine sites and you the strip is right on the edge of an open cut i flew in there a month ago strip was mown grass a little rough but ok.

Charters Towers couple of ks to caravan parks few more ks to town very friendly place and historic also offerd a use of a car here.

Longreach say no more, short walk to caravan parks and a little further to town great pubs and cold beer.

Im off to Charlieville this weekend to the pub also looks good not far to town.

Charters Towers couple of ks to caravan parks few more ks to town very friendly place and historic also offerd a use of a car here.Longreach say no more, short walk to caravan parks and a little further to town great pubs and cold beer.

Im off to Charlieville this weekend to the pub also looks good not far to town.

Ravenswood, Charters Towers, Longreach and Charleville added. More like 2km walk for Charters Towers, but worth it.

Charleville is a fair walk, about 3km to the RSL, which is the closest bar and best food value. Cosmos Celestial Observatory next to the airfield. Slabs of concrete all over the bush, remains of the American airbase from WW2.