Trutrak Gemini electronic gyro

I was shown a Trutrak electronic artificial horizon at the 2011 Natfly. Fantastis piece of kit! I was wondering if they were now available, The website is www.Trutrakap.com , I use optus server and it looks like the website is blocked. (Optus blocks others, mainly film downloads) It will never load, just times out, Can someone else try and see if it's working? Thanks Geoff

Guest davidh10
www.Trutrakap.com[/url] , I use optus server and it looks like the website is blocked. (Optus blocks others, mainly film downloads) It will never load, just times out, Can someone else try and see if it's working? Thanks Geoff

Web site is ok.

Looks like what you describe is on this specific page.

http://www.Trutrakap.com/products/ADI.html

Two models $1100 & $1300 respectively plus GPS and backup battery options.

I'd complain to Optus for blocking a normal web site.

Guest davidh10
Thanks for that David, It still wont open, But I know they're available. I'll complain to optus now......................Geoff

Actually, you could go further and provide TruTrack with the evidence that Optus is blocking their site. I doubt they will be happy and probably have more clout than an individual.

• 2 years later...

Don't bother with Trutrak PFD Gemini, been there - done that, not mentioned in their info is that you have to slave the unit to a pacific GPS's to have the DG to work, even after trying to manually set it, was a failure.

AH worked well, airspeed /altimeter relies on standard static pressure but unit read airspeed 10kts over, slip indicator refused to centre, spent a lot of time and money with patch cables to Garmin 795 GPS, advised to use new Garmin GPS data sender unit recommended by Garmin dealer, with ongoing communication with Trutrak and tech manager at Aircraft Spruce with no success,

Gave up !

Speak to Mark Kyle re MGL unit or Dynon D2.

• Agree 1

I've had my Gemini PFD since last June and love the display,

have had no trouble centering the slip indicator and probably re center it during the run up no more than once every dozen or so flights

I find the slip indicator easier to fly to and more responsive than the physical slip ball which is slower to respond

I ordered a dedicated Garmin GPS receiver with the Genimi and it functions perfectly

I have found dealing with their tech person Lucas easy, prompt and helpful

I was concerend that with attitude, bank, rate one indicator, airspeed, GPS Ground speed, GPS track, vertical speed, skid ball all in the one small screen would be unworkable.

Not so a fabulous instrument.

One needs to be aware that although the unit looks very similar to a traditional gyro attitude instrument; it is actually displaying vector movements, ie instaneous vertical speed not nose attiture wrt the horizon.

cons

the airspeed reads a bit high

i had serious RF interferrence when first installed, Trutrak suggested a capacitor plug which fixed the problem. Plug cost $8 but US supplier not Trutrak refused to use the US post and it cost me $60US in courier fees for a match box sized item

DG numbers are small for older eyes

Davidh

Happy your experience worked well, I and avionics tech was not aware of the added GPS requirement as per Trutrak advertisement of product, to utilise all facilities.

Yes, the display was very good but as a emergency back up of primary instruments it just did'nt measure up, hope to have better luck with MGL or Dynon D2.

Post Trutrak experience !

Took delivery of the Dynon 2 and after 5 min of a basic set task, it was ready to fly.

Absolutely everything is included in the box re - Ram suction cup mount, in panel 3 1/8 " mount, AC charger and 12 volts external power cable, external GPS antenna , basically a plug and play unit.

All features worked perfectly as promised.

No extra equipment required or surprises at very similar cost.

Very Happy, big thank you to Ralph at ASAP Spares Caboolture for great service and back up.

Post Trutrak experience !Took delivery of the Dynon 2 and after 5 min of a basic set task, it was ready to fly.

Absolutely everything is included in the box re - Ram suction cup mount, in panel 3 1/8 " mount, AC charger and 12 volts external power cable, external GPS antenna , basically a plug and play unit.

All features worked perfectly as promised.

No extra equipment required or surprises at very similar cost.

Very Happy, big thank you to Ralph at ASAP Spares Caboolture for great service and back up.

Is it a D2 Graham?

I was getting keen on a Trutrak Vizion 380, looked like a much more affordable version of Digiflight IIVS at just over half the price. Might be some small print to negotiate, like maybe servos are no longer included in the base price.

• 3 years later...
Don't bother with Trutrak PFD Gemini, been there - done that, not mentioned in their info is that you have to slave the unit to a pacific GPS's to have the DG to work, even after trying to manually set it, was a failure.AH worked well, airspeed /altimeter relies on standard static pressure but unit read airspeed 10kts over, slip indicator refused to centre, spent a lot of time and money with patch cables to Garmin 795 GPS, advised to use new Garmin GPS data sender unit recommended by Garmin dealer, with ongoing communication with Trutrak and tech manager at Aircraft Spruce with no success,

Gave up !

Speak to Mark Kyle re MGL unit or Dynon D2.

Hello Graham, I have read with interest your comments on the Gemini DG. I have one in a plane recently purchased and need to connect it to my Avmap EKP 4 gps for gps service so the "compass" display will work without drifting all the time. Am i Wasting my time or do you think it can be done. Cheers, Bill

if you don't have the correct GPS to slave the Trutrak to, it won't work properly, email there service / support section to verify. Otherwise I suggest purchasing the Garmin D5 or Dynon D2 or even an old D1 without Wi Fi if you can find one. My set up is working fine as is a few friends D2's

Call Avisist Avionics at Redcliffe Airport for there advice, a very friendly group to work with.

if you don't have the correct GPS to slave the Trutrak to, it won't work properly, email there service / support section to verify. Otherwise I suggest purchasing the Garmin D5 or Dynon D2 or even an old D1 without Wi Fi if you can find one. My set up is working fine as is a few friends D2'sCall Avisist Avionics at Redcliffe Airport for there advice, a very friendly group to work with.

Thanks Graham, I'll give them a call. Cheers

Hello Graham, I have read with interest your comments on the Gemini DG. I have one in a plane recently purchased and need to connect it to my Avmap EKP 4 gps for gps service so the "compass" display will work without drifting all the time. Am i Wasting my time or do you think it can be done. Cheers, Bill

Should be relatively easy to connect your EKP IV to your TruTrak Gemini.You need one of THESE 2.5mm 4-pole male plugs, enough 24AWG or better cable, and a DB-9 connector relevant to your Gemini (I couldn't tell if it is male or female you need). And a female D-Sub crimp pin or two. EDIT: Just realised - there's no need for another connector, you can just install a new pin/wire in the existing plug, either by soldering or installing a new crimp pin.

Connect Ring 3 of the 2.5mm plug to the Ground connection of the Gemini, and Ring 2 of the 2.5mm plug to Pin 6 of the Gemini DB-9 connection and that's it.

Page 10 of the EKP IV installation manual covers the NMEA output & physical connections and the Gemini User Manual covers the DB-9 connections. The EKP IV outputs NMEA 0813 data at 4800-9600 baud rates, both of which are accepted by the Gemini. Should be a relatively easy project if you know your way around a soldering iron.

If your Gemini has crimp-pins instead of the normal soldered DB-9 connections, Mendelssohn's has them available at OzPilot.com.au, as well as the crimper tool