Cessna 170... Oh what fun!

Tomo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

narenman, I never acept anything as inevitable (except death and taxes). He who flys tailwhel aeroplane likely to groundloop sometime, but it is not inevitable that he will. The same as leaving the undercarriage up when landing. Can happen to distracted pilot, but since it is a very bad idea, one should place a great deal of importance into preventing it happening. To think that everyone can, (or will), make that mistake is like "giving up" a bit. I just don't want to do that.

Can I guarantee that I will NEVER do either? NO I CAN"T. But I work hard to be able to say it hasn't, (so far).

In all my flying career the thing that shocked me most was situations some pilot's would put aeroplanes in. This of course happened to me in my early days as an instructor, and as I have said elsewhere on these forums it was generally not the student who was progressing normally through a well structured course, that produces the most surprising outcomes, though nothing can be ruled out. This is when the INSTRUCTOR learns fast. Nev

Indeed it can, and you would have to know how to do it effectively. If you are going into a wire fence in a Drifter or Sapphire. That information and technique should be part of the endorsement on those types of aircraft.

There is another situation where the wind is getting under the upwind wing and going to cause trouble Does anyone know about this? ( You wouldn't do it in a fast plane (A clue) .Nev

• Like 1

I realise that this topic is a little stale, but looking at the photo of the C170 of Al's, it has the rego of the taildragger that I got my TW endo in, only when I did mine it was in a GA registered Skyfox VH-APK. Its stable mate VH-APN was the first JAR-VLA certified. I remember doing a lovely ground loop in one of them once at redcliffe with a chorus of radio chatter wanting to see me do it again..blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Well how about that eh! Nothing like sharing a bit of history! By the way, took Barney's go cart for a test run this afternoon with the new engine on it... goes much better! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Well done Tomo.You reminded me of my tailwheel endorsement in a Decathlon many years ago under the watchful eye of Bob Tait. After the tail came up I was sure the prop was going to carve a chunk out of the runaway so I pulled back a bit and of course gyroscopic precession comes into play so I correct for that and put the nose back down a bit and so it went on for what seemed like an eternity with Bob sitting behind me not saying a word. Finally stagger into the air and all stabilizes on climb and all I get from Bob was "you won't do it like that again will you" ..... and he was right... I never did. I'm sure that the guys in the tower at Archerfield had a good laugh about it for some time!

Always remember that you haven't stopped flying a taildragger until the engine is shut down.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim! Would be an honour to fly with Bob I reckon, he flies very nicely from what I've seen!