Hypoxia Acro Fest

djpacro

The last training camp fizzled out due to weather around Melbourne and aeroplane unserviceability. There was some gentlemen's aerobatics however as this was the Chipmunk Fly-In - a great occasion, very pleasant.

Lamar, Colorado, USA is the venue for my next event - the Rocky Mountain aerobatic contest in early October. Lamar is apparently Colorado's lowest elevation airport but density height will still be enough to make a 260 hp Pitts perform like a 200 hp one.

The last training camp fizzled out due to weather around Melbourne and aeroplane unserviceability. There was some gentlemen's aerobatics however as this was the Chipmunk Fly-In - a great occasion, very pleasant.Lamar, Colorado, USA is the venue for my next event - the Rocky Mountain aerobatic contest in early October. Lamar is apparently Colorado's lowest elevation airport but density height will still be enough to make a 260 hp Pitts perform like a 200 hp one.

I saw a certain Chippie owner pawing over the manual for a 8KCAB on the weekend. Prompted me to look at my log book where I saw entries for JIR in 2006 and BIK in 1984. Do you think perhaps if I gave said Chippie owner a lift to Moorabbin he might offer a refresher at mates' rates while you are away???

kaz

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got back (well back as far as Denver) from Lamar, Colorado, USA after competing in this aerobatic contest. About 26 competitors altogether and half of them were flying gliders.

I competed in Intermediate using a Pitts S-2C. Lots of fun.

Left Melbourne last Thursday and arrived in Denver that night. Drove to Lamar the next morning - quite a culture shock:

(thumbnail doesn't seen to work but click on it)

I had been delayed the previous night as Denver was closed for a while due to 60 kt winds. By the time my practice slot came around the wind was picking up again, didn't get as bad as the previous day but I didn't want to risk it. So, no flying that day which meant no practice at all. Our Pitts had been U/S recently (the trip was at short notice so little opportunity to practice) so hadn't flown a sequence in it since April. My only practice was the Sportsman sequence in the Decathlon. I was flying Intermediate in a Pitts S-2C at this contest.

Friday night I heard that there was a tornado watch current for the area. 2" of snow forecast for places just west of us.

Saturday morning briefing was at 7 am. I was one of the first competitors to fly - the Intermediate Known. Dave W was in the front seat as my US licence was not current. I had to fly the low line for the judges to get their eye in. Then delays as the judges decided that the wind had changed so needed to change direction of flight resulting in new paperwork etc. By the time I go to start my sequence I had burnt 10 USG of fuel.

I started my run in at 8,000 ft. Airfield elevation was 3,700 ft. I wanted lots of airspeed for the first manoeuvre - a "P" loop with a snap roll on top. 190 mph worked very well but chewed up a lot of height. Spin at #3 lost more height so by the time I had finished the humpty at #4 I decided to stop and climb back up. I was down to 5,500 ft. Bottom of the box for me was 4,900 ft but being at a low situational awareness state (jetlag, strange aeroplane, strange country) I wanted some margin.

The rest of the sequence went fairly well until #12 - a simple half loop up, finishing inverted straight and level. I started it at too low an airspeed. Stalled at the top and it dropped a wing. The next manoeuvre was an inverted steep turn so I thought I might try and fool the judges by leaving the wing down, trying to unstall it and easing it around a turn. Bright idea but it didn't work, started an inverted spin - drat.

Overall score was 76.28% - quite respectable but about 7% behind the leader.

Just as I finished low cloud swept in across the box below me. End of all competition flying until an hour before last light.

Flying resumed late in the day and I was out on the judging line for Unlimited, Advanced and Sportsman Glider. Transport out to the line in that remarkable yellow limo. Cold out on the judging line that afternoon.

Sunday morning briefing was at 8:00 am. IAC rules aren't the same as the AAC so my Free Sequence was new with no practice. I had made it a fairly easy sequence to fly and therefore to maximise the points. Quite a strong crosswind across the box – another feature of my sequence were the two wind correctors so that was easily handled. Being slightly more familiar with things for the second flight and a better plan the flight started off well. Turned bad when I stopped following the plan. I should have broken to climb for height before the spin, instead having to keep my eye on the altimeter after the spin resulted in a couple of sloppy figures. Broke for height then came in for the final five manoeuvres still mad at myself for not following the plan then made it worse by flying one incorrect figure – it was a good one just not the right one – pulled instead of pushed over the top of the humpty.

Scores were generally better than for the first flight although the zeroed figure resulted in a slightly lower overall score. Only two of us flying Intermediate – Phil flying his Giles G-200 came first.

The contest was all over, trophies awarded and airfield emptied by 4 pm.

• Like 5

Mat, the first sequence had a positive snap roll at the top of a loop as the first figure. The second last manoeuvre was a half loop up, I must've used your technique - just a bit too aggressive with forward stick to try and hold it S&L inverted. A marvellous trip (so far) - everyone very friendly and helpful. Going to come with me next year to compete in the US Nats?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Came over to Colorado for the contest again this year. The Pitts wasn't available so had a Super Decathlon lined up to fly in Sportsman category but unfortunately competition was cancelled due to weather. I was in the mountains near Denver during the floods and the town we were in was flooded. Too exciting for me as we evacuated.

I had decided not to compete in the US Nationals which is on this week - a couple of Australians competing so perhaps another thread on this if I can get some info.

I am currently at the Pitts factory. Some noticeable changes since I was last here five years ago. It won't flood here but snow forecast later this week. Top workmanship here - the new examples of the Pitts and Husky on the line are very neat.

Interesting discussion at dinner last night with a US aviation medical examiner and others about driver licence medicals and LSAs. Medical requirement for a GA flight instructor here is Class 2 cf Class 1 in Australia. Private pilots here have the lower std Class 3. Sport pilots just need to be fit enough to drive a car - and can do aerobatics in a LSA. Seems to me that I could be visiting USA to compete in aerobatic competitions after I stop renewing CASA medicals.

World Aerobatic Championships next month in Texas so I will post some info when I get to the venue.

• Like 2