Informal fly-in.... Lakeside Airpark N Qld...Oct 9th

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

I'm a bit late with this, but just wanting to let those in the area know of the above planned fly-in. Lakeside Airpark is situated just East of the Bruce Hwy at Bloomsbury Qld.. Bloomsbury is just south of Proserpine and north of Mackay in Qld. It is inland from the laguna keys resort complex.

Easily spotted from the air by the large lake beside the single long and wide grass runway. Owner Gary Poole dug the lake when needing fill for the lower portion of the runway.

Several owner/pilots live either on the field itself or close by. The area has several close power lines and some noise-sensitive rural neighbors, so keep both in mind if attending for the first time.

Even with a slight tailwind it is preferred by some to always land from the east, although landing from the West is possible but generally downhill all the way. The runway is long however.

I'm planning on arriving late Sat and camping overnight for the Sunday event. There is a large well equipped Servo/roadhouse not far away by road for fuel and other essential supplies......hope to see some new friends there............................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif :thumb_up:

Guest Maj Millard

Would be good to see you Windsor, Hongie also said he may make it.............I like the small 'informal' fly-ins !..and what a great spot..............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Nice shot there Donald. I enjoyed seeing you and you family again, hope you had a nice trip back to Mackay. Everyone is happy with the way things went, and it's definitly on my calendar for next time !.......................................Cheers Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

Frank, You would have been welcome I'm sure, the was only one Jab came in from Shute Harbor flown by Ian Bishop. Ian is the dealer for the Seamax amphip from Brazil and i enjoyed meeting and chatting with him..............................................................Maj...

• 6 years later...

just found this 6 year old thread while surfing for info on Lakeside Airpark - our little jaunt from Boonah - Cooktown up da coast (kinda) and back inland (maybe) will hopefully be spending a couple of nights here as a refresher

cheers guys,

BP

• Like 1

Best of luck Dave, I looked at trying to fly my Loehle up to Lakeside for the flyin at Easter with no wind legs no more than 1 hr 15 mins but was not able to find any suitable refueling stops between Emu Park and St Lawrence and St Lawrence to Mackay area. Some isolated strips either not maintained or could not find any contacts to check and/ or organise fuel.

No problems finding stops up to Emu Park.

Wayne

hey winsor68, how ya goin? can you suggest a nice safe route for IFR (I follow roads railways and rivers) pilots, particularly 60 knotters, from Emu Park to Lakeside Airpark?thanks

BP

I reckon Doug Evans is the man to ask now that Ross Millard is not around... Doug is here on this forum by that user name. He is based at Lakeside.

Best of luck Dave, I looked at trying to fly my Loehle up to Lakeside for the flyin at Easter with no wind legs no more than 1 hr 15 mins but was not able to find any suitable refueling stops between Emu Park and St Lawrence and St Lawrence to Mackay area. Some isolated strips either not maintained or could not find any contacts to check and/ or organise fuel.No problems finding stops up to Emu Park.

Wayne

Wayne how did you get the parasol down from lakeside? I bought the GT500 down the inland route via dingo, thangool, gayndah due to lack of fuel along the coast.

• Like 1

The Parasol has only 35 litres available so I haven't got the range of the GT 500 so inland would be a no go too. Heard you could have used a few more drops too! Bought the Parasol down on a trailer.

Scott gave me a fly in the GT500, loved it, should have bought it myself but misses said I could only have one plane....had two at the time!

Wayne.

The Parasol has only 35 litres available so I haven't got the range of the GT 500 so inland would be a no go too. Heard you could have used a few more drops too! Bought the Parasol down on a trailer.Scott gave me a fly in the GT500, loved it, should have bought it myself but misses said I could only have one plane....had two at the time!

Wayne.

Haha yeah i know of a property about 20nm north of dingo that would be happy to give you some fuel if you need it. Yeah its a shame there isn't more fuel options around St Lawrence area it really makes it hard. Maybe you could get Scott to meet you at St Lawrence with a couple of jerry cans.

• Like 2