Zlin Savage Cub - Runways Optional

pmcguire

Has your mate taken cross country? My only fear is they may be a tad slow for touring. Have you seen the wing folding mechanism? It is marketed as quick and easy, so you can trailer it home. No more expensive hangar fees.

Has your mate taken cross country? My only fear is they may be a tad slow for touring. Have you seen the wing folding mechanism? It is marketed as quick and easy, so you can trailer it home. No more expensive hangar fees.

Yes, he does a lot of that in it, going north etc, and he did a run to Adelaide and back one weekend (from the Dalby area). From memory it does about 85kts... so not the fastest on the planet, but he likes it, and reckons it is adequate - though he has my problem being a flying fanatic, so getting places quick isn't the end of the world

I haven't seen the folding wings thing, I didn't actually realise they could fold. Goes to show how much I know!

Yes that red one looks awesome!

I did a run out west with the yellow cub above in a Rans S7, the Rans got MUCH better fuel economy at similar speeds... also check out the Just Aircraft 'Highlander'... I like the seating arrangement better in them though have not had a chance to fly in one... all great aircraft of course, all a little bit different but very close to the mark on capabilities generally, though I think the two latter aircraft are a bit (quite a bit?) cheaper than the Savage Cub which make it an easier choice.

Arrrh... I can't resist any longer... yes I own a Savage Cruiser (variant of the Savage Cub), and yes I think it's the best looking, best performing aircraft on the RAAus register... but I am biased.

I've had the aircraft for a couple of years and LOVE her. It's absolutley true that the she is not a go-fast, get-there kind of aircraft but with her beautiful red and cream lines and her short-field capability, there is no aircraft that 'arrives' as well as she does.

I've flown her from Brisbane to Melbourne but any long trip requires time. About two hours in the saddle is a good amount of time between stops which makes it a journey or 'shortish' hops of 150 to 200 nm. On the upside, the view is fantastic and she is a lot of fun to fly.

As it happens, I have written an article on the aircraft which will appear in the next edition of Sport Pilot (November) along with a bunch of great aerial shots.

If you want to know more, please don't hestitate to send me a message via this site with your contact details and I'd be happy to chat to you in more depth.

By the way; yes the wings do 'fold' but on my aircraft this is not a minor task and would require significant effort. Unless the design has changed on new aircraft, it's not something I would recommend doing any more often than absolutley necessary.

Cheers,

Paul

PICT3590.JPG.bfa36b610e32b9618b94a4714c24ceb0.JPG

• Like 1

The big fat wheels (when fitted) would have to slow you down. They are an Alaskan thing anyhow. Being able to put the thing down almost anywhere has a lot of advantages and there's no nosewheel to break off. It's my style of aircraft too Paul. Nev

That last enquiry brings back memories of when I brought out a 1927 Scott Flying Squirrel to ride on a rally, in 1995, when I was at Lake Boga and the young chap over the road said, " gee that's great. Did you buy it NEW.?" Nev

• Like 1

When are you moving back the SE Qld Paul.

Sorry Dazza, she has a Victorian passport now but you are welcome to visit.

How much gear can you fit in the back?

It has a one of the best load-carrying capacities of any aircraft in the LSA category. Even with a Max All Up Weight limitation of 560kg (not 600kg), the aircraft can legally carry over 200kg of passengers and baggage with full fuel. The baggage compartment has an additional 20kg limit.

Did you buy it new?

Yep,it was new about three years ago; the current models have a slightly different shape.

• Like 1

That last enquiry brings back memories of when I brought out a 1927 Scott Flying Squirrel to ride on a rally, in 1995, when I was at Lake Boga and the young chap over the road said, " gee that's great. Did you buy it NEW.?" Nev

Bit off topic, but you mentioning the year 1927 reminded me of the diesel engine I got running for the village when in PNG, it was built in 1927. Fantastic little diesel engine. Hadn't run for 40 odd years and I managed to get it purring with just a screw driver and shifter, some oil, and diesel.

What make of engine was it? Stuff that's made of cast iron and bronze, lasts forever. ( in some environments).

We waste so much, the way we live.. A friend of mine years ago was travelling through India on a motorcycle and decided that it needed an oil change. When he was about to do it people came from everywhere to get the used oil. Nev

I fly an antique and it was built the same year as ME!

kaz

....It has a one of the best load-carrying capacities of any aircraft in the LSA category...

Guys, I've got a mate who has recently had a medical problem that has left him without a medical and therefore unable to fly his C182.

He has an RA certificate and I have been wondering about the Carbon Cub for him. These are really serious beasties but can still be registered RA as far as I know.

Anyone with personal experience or good info care to comment, please?

kaz

Hi Kaz, the Carbon Cub is the ultimate in Cub LSA, but they come in at around 420Kg empty with 180 HP.Give or take.The down side is the price, ball Park figure is around $180 K, with options.The Savage cub, is slower, but heaps cheaper and quality is fantastic, quality is also fantastic with Cub Crafters.Payload with the savage already is above the carbon cub, because the empty weight is alot less.As Paul has mentioned.

If your mate doesnt mind flying at around 90 Knots cruise speed.I would recommend the Savage cub.IMO.Around half the price of the Carbon Cub.

This is added- I have been thinking about the above.Maybe that my advice is a little bias.Which does not help. If money was no object. I would buy the Carbon Cub. The 180Hp is supposed to be limited for 5 minutes. But that is governed by the throttle.Something to do with the USA limit of 120 knots cruise speed for there LSA rules. Cub crafters did have some heating issues in the USA in the hotter states in summer.That has been as far as I know sorted out by CC fitting Fixed Cowl flaps.Adjustable on the ground.

If i fell over a bag of money, I would buy the Carbon Cub. Well I would hand the money over to the police.But you know what i mean.:peepwall:

Paul, I noticed the cub up at yarra glen, hows it working out up there, I'm kinda hoping to find a spot up there as well, Terry Crook was showing me around his Kitfox,cheers Mat

Hi Mat,

Yep it's hangared at Dixon Creek (Yarra Valley Conference Centre). My LAME (Martin Smith) has his business there and looks after her. It's a nice spot but the strip is one way in and out, up a valley! A bit of local knowledge, judgement and practice is required but I've never had any problems (touch wood). I always think that if it looks too hard or there's too much tailwind (which is not very much) then Lilydale is two minutes away.

Guys, I've got a mate who has recently had a medical problem that has left him without a medical and therefore unable to fly his C182.He has an RA certificate and I have been wondering about the Carbon Cub for him. These are really serious beasties but can still be registered RA as far as I know.

Anyone with personal experience or good info care to comment, please?

kaz

Hi Kaz,

The following is a repeat of a copy of a comparison of the numbers for the Carbon Cub and Savage Cruiser that I posted some time ago. Please note, I'm not throwing rocks at the Carbon Cub... I'm actually scared about flying in one in case it's too much fun and I end up wanting to own one of them as well...

I should say first-up that the Carbon Cub looks like a fantastic aircraft; the takeoff and climb performance is astounding. However, even with the 600 kg Max All Up Weight, the extra 'empty weight' and 90l fuel tank would bring the useable payload down to about 114kg. Enough for me and ummmm... not a lot more.

Here's the comparison of the Carbon Cub (from the figures in the Sport Pilot magazine) and the Savage Cruiser (actual aircraft figures).

Carbon Cub:

Maximum All Up Weight - 599kg

Aircraft Empty Weight - 423kg

Maximum Fuel Load - 63kg

Usable payload (Pax and Luggage) - 114kg

Savage Cruiser:

Maximum All Up Weight - 560kg

Aircraft Empty Weight - 307kg

Maximum Fuel Load - 45kg

Usable payload (Pax and Luggage) - 208kg

So, in fairness, it's not quite comparing apples to apples. I'd love to have the option of carrying extra fuel and higher cruise speed because, at times I have found 64l and 80kts to be range-limiting. However, the fact is that (for me at 100kg) the Carbon Cub would be a single-seat aircraft. Even with no fuel, (as a low-performance glider) I'd struggle to be able to fly with anyone in the back seat.

Note (happy to be corrected if the following is not accurate):

1. LSA aircraft can be registered up to 600kg MAUW... IF certified to that weight by the Airworthiness Authority (aircraft manufacturer). This likely explains the difference in MAUW between the two aircraft. My version of the Savage Cruiser will never be certified for anything above 560kg (but this may not be true for later models).

2. The Cruiser is prettier... (but I'm allowed to be biased).

• Like 1

Hi Kaz,Here's the comparison of the Carbon Cub (from the figures in the Sport Pilot magazine) and the Savage Cruiser (actual aircraft figures).

So, in fairness, it's not quite comparing apples to apples. I'd love to have the option of carrying extra fuel and higher cruise speed because, at times I have found 64l and 80kts to be range-limiting. However, the fact is that (for me at 100kg) the Carbon Cub would be a single-seat aircraft. Even with no fuel, (as a low-performance glider) I'd struggle to be able to fly with anyone in the back seat.

Thanks, Paul.

My friend is a big guy too -- tall and around 100 kg -- so it looks like the CC won't work for him.

Your info is much appreciated 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif101_thank_you.gif.c3e49b2b7a3fa3b8da69a8bfdccee05a.gif101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

kaz