It's a Ran's Man!

Tomo

Flew a Rans S7 Courier the other day. It was a sweet little aeroplane.

The controls were so balanced it was simply lovely to fly, having aileron spades I think made the ailerons magic to use. Control was great, and it flew along at 40kts just as easily as 75-80kts.

I always said Savannah's were easy to fly, but for a tailwheel aircraft I reckon this would come in second best to that easily. No hassles three pointing, or wheeling it on. Toe brakes and full swivel tailwheel made turning very simple. View out the front was good, in the three point attitude there is more bonnet in the picture, but that's to be expected for a tailwheel aircraft.

Stalling it was predictable, and it didn't seem to want to do anything silly, had good rudder and elevator control in the stall I noticed. I didn't take much notice on what speed it stalled at, but it was pretty low with full three stages of flap.

Huge doors make getting in and out pretty easy, and you got a choice of which side you want to do that too!

Anyway, I'm no expert and I was only flying it for about half an hour but it was a fun aeroplane. And thought I'd tell you about what I thought of it.

Here's a video of me flying it - sorry about the funny angle which makes it look a bit odd, but was the best I could do at the time!

And for those not sure on what a Rans is... 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

[media=vimeo]17981829[/media]

S-7 Courier Kit

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

That's pretty sweet Tomo, and some nice sideslipping on landing there also....nice flying !. are we seeing the birth of a 'real' pilot here IE: a ' taildragger' man !008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif ??????????063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif..........................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

"IT'S A RANS, MAN !!!"

Guest Maj Millard

Yes I got very close to strapping on an S7 once but as usual ran out of time. They look like a fine machine and have come a long way from the earlier rans machines. I've always harboured a desire to strap on a Rans S9 Sarkota ( or whatever it's called), the aerobatic one with the mid wing. How about a blow by blow flight-test report Tomo...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

How about a blow by blow flight-test report Tomo...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Looks like I might have to go for another fly in it eh? 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif I've been given permission to the keys whenever... so that might just happen yet!

This one is located in the Dalby area now, but was purchased just recently from SA.

I would fly up there for sure Maj if I had the time!! Next time you come past you'll have to stick around for a couple days and we can go aviating and try on a few types eh? 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif Maybe even a Jabiru.... na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

Here's our RANS S7. We did a circuit yesterday before tucking it up in Childers and returning to Springsure. It is a lovely plane. It was the reason we met - his wife had died in 2006 and I met him 6 months later - his pick up line was "I'm building a plane, would you like to have a look?" 13 months later we were married. The plane was completed in 2008, couldn't get permission to build a hangar at Springsure, concerned about it sitting in the weather, so we have it hangared 7 hours away at Childers. We just don't get to fly it as often as it deserves.

The boss decided not to have the aileron spades and the flaps are fixed (don't use them) and the rudder and stick have been modified so I can fly it too. Docile in landing and ground handling, it really is a delight, even building it - one of the easiest kits - like a big mechano set. Can carry a lot, and fits large, tall pilots (and with modification small, light ones too).

Tomo - I just can't get that video / tune out of my head - its awfully addictive! I've been singing "It's a RANS man!" for DAYS.

Sue

524760333_RANSlanding.thumb.jpg.ec5fa57b020c97f817725d206f5e2a5c.jpg

224818689_RANSowner.jpg.93474145efe383abb8a918e33e5b0a48.jpg

1057123377_RANSmoving.jpg.850b9727a29baec907bce76a346baf46.jpg

I've looked at many in the range and the quality of the parts and build is very obvious. They are built in America by a firm (Schiller?) that builds bushbikes (I think.) They were not cheap, (nor should they be) so that is probably the reason why I didn't end up with an S7, There is a side by side highwing too. I do prefer the Tandem but I am a bit of a purist there. Now that these have been around for a while, the second-hand scene may present some examples at a good price.. Highly recommended ( IF that means anything).. Nev

.... Highly recommended ( IF that means anything).. Nev

It does Nev. I have admired them as well, but I would have to get one with side by side otherwise Shirley would not fly with me, she hates being behind me in the Citabria otherwise I would have purchased a Citabria by now.There was an immaculate Rans at Natfly, it was all white and impeccably built, I think it was the same one that was in our Mag a couple of editions ago.

Nice post Tomo, you must be quite a charmer buddy, you seem to get yourself into anything that has wings up your way.