Aircraft trailers

robinsm

I am designing a trailer for my Xair in case I have to relocate its storage and have a few questions for those members with an aircraft trailer.

1) Is it better to have the fuse facing forward or to the rear and why?

2) Wing storage - Mounted on the sides of the trailer or flat under the fuse?

3) Size of frame steel for open frame trailer (max wt of trailer and aircraft less that 750kg)

4) any photos/ideas for tool and fuel storage on trailer.

5) Any ideas for stone deflectors on front of trailer so the aircraft/wings do not get damaged by flying debris kicked up from the road.?

The trailer will also serve as a trailer for a motorcycle trike (less that 400kg) when not in use as an aircraft trailer.

Thanks

Maynard

I found it cheaper to modify an already registered boat trailer[able to carry a 6m boat] Then put slide in and out main wheel supports for just about any track width just aft of the trailer wheels and tail in first by using the boat winch attached to the tail skid/tie down/etc.The length between the main gear and nose is adjusted by sliding the trailer axle via the spring u-bolts.I only carried the fuselage and then the wings separately to the airfield on the craddle siting on topof the trailer in the pic. Hope this gives some sparks to designing yours .Cheers T87

10112011057.jpg.d742bbe7dc8cb5b2f1f322d2d2170229.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just about got this trailer sorted but was curios if it would make any difference towing the trailer with the aircraft mounted tail first, or nose first. The rudder and elevator would be clamped level to stop movement. The aircraft is a tricycle gear plane not a tail dragger.