Lightwing Models ?

Doug Evans

I've seen a few occasions when Lightwings have been really planted-on, and everyone around goes "Jeez, thank god they're tough, many others would'nt have got away with that". Probably a bit like the Auster in that regards, "bouncey, bouncey!" if not done right.

I've seen a few occasions when Lightwings have been really planted-on, and everyone around goes "Jeez, thank god they're tough, many others would'nt have got away with that". Probably a bit like the Auster in that regards, "bouncey, bouncey!" if not done right.

Yes there a tough little plane much like a j 3 cubbie me thinks !

• Agree 1

I'm only new to lightwings, but my supposedly slippery Gr912 with the 100hp engine still often ends up somewhere between 65 and 70 at 5200rpm one up unless i'm loosing a fair bit of height... I haven't flown it much and when I did fly it, the air was a bit thermally but all I could remember was the previous owner saying "she'll do 82 knots one up or 75 with two on board fully loaded.

I must say though that the big wing can be felt when you get near the ground and it makes it fairly plush compared to faster aircraft i've flown.

U will get that speed but ya have to set up on the step first mate if u look at your wingtip u should be level with the horizon and have a slightly nose Down attitude , well that how my old girl flew at 70 kn she had a 582 ..

Guest Maj Millard

nunans........bit of a touchy subject right now, but what prop are you spinning on your plane, PM me if you like ...................................................Cheers.... ..Maj...048_surrender.gif.737a6283dfb1349140cc8b959302f540.gif

• 9 months later...
Doug, That first aircraft in your first post (19-3263) is pretty interesting, and one I haven't seen before. Where was that photo taken ?It appears to have a non-standard fiberglass fuselage, early nosewheel and flaps fitted to a standard wing with exterior flap control rods. The tail is all different also, (huge elevator !)no doubt due to the different fuselage. I wonder if it is still around ?...............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

fibreglass body did look good would a heavier body mean more stable in flight i wonder what size fuel tanks etc.am only just learning now but the lightwing does seem to be popular

fibreglass body did look good would a heavier body mean more stable in flight i wonder what size fuel tanks etc.am only just learning now but the lightwing does seem to be popular

It was for sale a few month back don't know much about her history I

Believe she was one of the first made but was too heavy to fit the class at the. Time .