Drifter Pics

Tex

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful Tex! I do like your new prop and hub assembly, and those cone type air filters. I notice you don't have EGT probes attached, do you still need to install them or are you going without?

What are the dimensions of your radiators as they seem a bit larger than mine?

Pud

Thanks Tomo. YES I was a very good boy skeptic36 augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

She weighs in at 270kg (weighed one month ago) a bit less now with out the Oil injection bottle and bracket gone, but I will be putting on a coolant over flow so it will get a little of that back.

Pretty FAT compared to the WB and others but the skins and set up on this (done by Wayne fisher) are excellent! No rudder trim at all, very little Drifter woffle, except at higher AoA and slower speed max climb in the 40-45kt range and it then smooths out again a few knots before it nears stall. VERY floaty and sensitive (pitch) in the run out before flare on landing with stall at about 35kts with ME in the front. Quite a clean machine. All turns and stalls: powered, unpowered and in turns are predictable and respond exactly as you would expect. I can't help but think I got a real winner in this plane, but then it is mine so maybe I am just a proud father 085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Beautiful Tex! I do like your new prop and hub assembly, and those cone type air filters. I notice you don't have EGT probes attached, do you still need to install them or are you going without?What are the dimensions of your radiators as they seem a bit larger than mine?

Pud

Looks good hey? The hub is the lighter one, the prop and hub are very high quality. Indeed they are the cone type filters.

Yes EGT probes are enroute, I had the clamp type arrangement on the old engine so have ordered some new screw in type (good price too if anyone needs some I can link it).

Not sure on the radiator Pud but I am pretty sure it is the standard size... will check the dimension for you this arvo.

Thanks Tomo. YES I was a very good boy skeptic36 augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gifShe weighs in at 270kg (weighed one month ago) a bit less now with out the Oil injection bottle and bracket gone, but I will be putting on a coolant over flow so it will get a little of that back.

Pretty FAT compared to the WB and others but the skins and set up on this (done by Wayne fisher) are excellent! No rudder trim at all, very little Drifter woffle, except at higher AoA and slower speed max climb in the 40-45kt range and it then smooths out again a few knots before it nears stall. VERY floaty and sensitive (pitch) in the run out before flare on landing with stall at about 35kts with ME in the front. Quite a clean machine. All turns and stalls: powered, unpowered and in turns are predictable and respond exactly as you would expect. I can't help but think I got a real winner in this plane, but then it is mine so maybe I am just a proud father 085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Hi Tex mine is 174 kgs stalls at 30 kts doesnt need any trim flys great so smooth ,l think your just a proud father.

l will post some more pics l have changed my panel a bit put on wheel spats .

and wash off the the cow s*it.

• Like 1

Nice pressie! I use a program called 'Format Factory' (free) to convert the mp4's to AVI files and then I just use Windows Movie Maker and add music in there as well. You can use Format Factory to change music files as well if you need to. I have tried Pinnacle Studio but it kept crashing on me... whatever you use make sure you SAVE YOUR PROJECT REGULARLY! They all crash some time or another usually when you are just about finished... 078_pc_revenge.gif.92f2d38a0e662b2e0b6cba4dc0ba5c35.gif

Thank you Tex Will keep you posted.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Hi Tex mine is 174 kgs stalls at 30 kts doesnt need any trim flys great so smooth ,l think your just a proud father.l will post some more pics l have changed my panel a bit put on wheel spats .

and wash off the the cow s*it.

HAHA 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif I know the Maxairs are light... but cut me some slack...069_boring.gif.9cee54db3616ee9ac1231638d365dc2c.gif apples with apples... SB and WB 55 rego at least poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

My other aircraft weighs 34kg and stalls at 18kts, shame it doesn't have an engine 065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

• Like 2

Nice shots Tex.What is that helmet and headphone setup you are wearing and is it any good?

Yeh it is, but I don't think you can get them anymore in that configuration, pretty sure it was a run out with some generic ANR headset that works a treat. The visor is a complete misfit though, it didn't go up far enough and went down to far so I had to mod it a little. There was also some wind noise that I fixed off the edge of the visor near the earphones where you can see some 'faux' carbon fibre but is just vinyl stick on stuff.

My sister is wearing the Recreational Flying headset that just arrived today 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif and they are a bargain... I will have to mod the headset plug on the plane though as it is set to mono and the headset is stereo.

Yes you will. People must be getting sick of looking at all my stuff 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

I'm certainly not! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Though it makes me miss the Drifter a lot, I really need to get into one again, it's been a month or so. I'll be towing in the Pawnee on Saturday at DDSC, if you're flying past drop in! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Another thing, the other day, I was out doing stalls and incipient spins - with the power at idle. Whilst approaching the stall (speed minus 30kts and dropping quick) I noticed the engine RPM slowing so much that the engine wanted to stop and I had to increase RPM to bring it up to at least my idle RPM which is 2200.

However on one particular stall I didn't touch the throttle and sure enough, the engine stopped.... I glided down to my home strip and it was a non event but I find it strange because it idles fine on the ground when I start it, with the throttle fully closed and I don't believe the idle needs adjusting, it is serviced by Richard Eacott and it idles like a dream on the ground..... I guess my question is, why - in the air, during stalls, AND with (low) airspeed creating a windmill effect, does the engine RPM drop below the yellow arc to the point where it will stop if not managed by inputs from pilot?

..... I guess my question is, why - in the air, during stalls, AND with (low) airspeed creating a windmill effect, does the engine RPM drop below the yellow arc to the point where it will stop if not managed by inputs from pilot?

Dave,

just possibly the leaner air at that altitude ... was it a warm day as well?

Dave,just possibly the leaner air at that altitude ... was it a warm day as well?

Interesting question David (Mason) and answer David, I don't know, but I wonder also: is it really creating a wind milling effect at high AoA and slow speed?

It could also be caused by the high angle of the aircraft in the stall compared to level and the effect that will have at idle on the fuel level in the Bings. Wind mill effect would be almost non existent in the stall.

Beautiful morning flight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flew over to Boonah, landed with a good south westerly blowing across 22 which is always good fun!

Wind was quite stronger the higher I got and I could see the lenticulars forming around the ranges so I took off, levelled off at 1500' before Mt French and starting riding the ridge lift all the way up to 4500' without using barely any power!!! then let the wind blow me over to Mt Edwards where the currents flowing over the top of it took me up to nearly 8500 feet!!!! Without barely using the engine!!! (had to check that YAMB wasn't active though)

Then went and landed at a friends place near Moogerah Dam and then home with plenty of fuel still in the tank HAHAHAAHA....93163005_Brokensign560.jpg.84c7d4a8ce770151a4d432f8166d9cd4.jpg

• Like 4