Thruster Photos

pudestcon

Pressure is on compress.gif.fe2f1703f181408c4947cc1d378facee.gif Anyone live near Toowoomba who own a thruster?????

You are talking one of the best fun aircraft I have owned and flown.I recently flew the T600 in UK 2200 jabiru power,vne raised to 90kts. But they cost 30000 Pounds.. Back in the 80,s we had 11 thrusters hangared on my strip.

• Like 2

You are talking one of the best fun aircraft I have owned and flown.I recently flew the T600 in UK 2200 jabiru power,vne raised to 90kts. But they cost 30000 Pounds.. Back in the 80,s we had 11 thrusters hangared on my strip.

Well let's see the photos then Geoff, come on!!

You must have some good stories that we would love to hear as well - get them fingers tapping eh?

Pud

DSC07975.JPG.4caa553d00b6a701fbec92cc47fe8e51.JPG

Well let's see the photos then Geoff, come on!!You must have some good stories that we would love to hear as well - get them fingers tapping eh?

Pud

Most of the 80,s photos are slides I,ll have to upgrade.I will include the T600 photo if I can manage the system.My first flight in "ultralights'was a Jackaroo in1983,a broomstick without a windscreen,.then chinook,beaver then Gemini.allowable ceiling then was 300ft(idiots).There is a Kestrel which is a thruster lookalike I flew in N.T. Anothe good thing with a Thruster (unmodified) before the T500 is that it wont exceed VNE vertical dive making it pretty foolproof. There were many "prangs "in the early days and no one got hurt,at our school anyway.one pupil flew straight into a tree full power without a scratch. We even did some thermalling,and seabreeze front engine off flying. Its a different story these days,fast glass ships and much less forgiving. cheers

Well let's see the photos then Geoff, come on!!You must have some good stories that we would love to hear as well - get them fingers tapping eh?

Pud

By the way.We delivered 3 thrusters to Collie W.A. 1988 reg no 250177 was one.I still have the guys name.One got grass rash before we got there as the guys tried D.I.Y training . Doesnt work.

• Haha 1

By the way.We delivered 3 thrusters to Collie W.A. 1988 reg no 250177 was one.I still have the guys name.One got grass rash before we got there as the guys tried D.I.Y training . Doesnt work.

D.I.Y Training, LOVE IT!!!!!! Sounds like a sensible way to approach an aircraft!

I never knew how much the nose wheel version of a thruster looks like an xair (Or maybe xair looks like a thruster!!!)

Greetings Geoff

Perchance, would the recipient of the T300s back in 1988 been either John Giles or Ray Sweeting who both farmed near Collie? Neither gentlemen are with us now however at least two of their former Thrusters (25-0176 and 25-0178) are still around (tho not flying) and your quoted rego nr indicates these would most likely be from the delivery you mention. I did a Condition Report on 25-0177 when it changed hands here in WA about 5 years ago and I believe it's back in the air near Albany; 25-0178 crashed during a simulated EFATO @ Bindoon 2 years ago; and 25-0176 is in my possession (bought it crashed & incomplete about 9 years ago) and is basis of my ever-ongoing Stitts-winged, Suzuki-engined, T300 Special thats been in my workshop for far too long. Great thing about 'rag & tube' is that (like my grandfather's favourite axe, you know - the one that's had three handles & two heads over the years) they bend and they break but most times they usually don't die - some mug rebuilds them. Cheers

[ATTACH=full]17758[/ATTACH]Most of the 80,s photos are slides I,ll have to upgrade.I will include the T600 photo if I can manage the system.My first flight in "ultralights'was a Jackaroo in1983,a broomstick without a windscreen,.then chinook,beaver then Gemini.allowable ceiling then was 300ft(idiots).There is a Kestrel which is a thruster lookalike I flew in N.T. Anothe good thing with a Thruster (unmodified) before the T500 is that it wont exceed VNE vertical dive making it pretty foolproof. There were many "prangs "in the early days and no one got hurt,at our school anyway.one pupil flew straight into a tree full power without a scratch. We even did some thermalling,and seabreeze front engine off flying. Its a different story these days,fast glass ships and much less forgiving. cheers

I'm ashamed to publicly admit it (cause Thrusters of all persuasions, as much as I love them, are gawdawful fugly - forgive me Pud) but that's gotta be the prettiest Thruster that I've ever seen and it's got a bloody nosewheel too!! There, I've said it but how could I ever explain it to my dear old mother?

early 80's was mostly D.I.Y training!! apart from the od fellars and ladies that did an hour or so in a Cessna,,apperently there was more crashes back then ,but keeping under 300ft proberbly had somthing to do with it.. love the self tought guys,,, big cahoneies me thinks...045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Can't get over the difference in wings in posts 22 and 28. To me, 28 is acceptable but 22...............................! Sorry Flyerme, a pet hate of mine is heavily scalloped LE's.

Can't get over the difference in wings in posts 22 and 28. To me, 28 is acceptable but 22...............................! Sorry Flyerme, a pet hate of mine is heavily scalloped LE's.

Reasons? Is it aerodynamic or appearance?

VG/wing fences in diguise Deskpilot:augie:022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Pud

I like your photo in post #28 Geoffrey Wood, pity it has a trainer wheel at the front:smile:

It's interesting to see just how far back the main gear is located, in comparison with the tail dragger Thruster. Looks like the main gear lines up with the rear bulkhead behind the pilot, whereas the T500 I have, has the main axle at the point where the wing struts attach to the fuselage.

Interesting bit of information in your post #29; were you involved in selling Thrusters. Would you have any information on my T500 25-0331?

Pud

Greetings GeoffPerchance, would the recipient of the T300s back in 1988 been either John Giles or Ray Sweeting who both farmed near Collie? Neither gentlemen are with us now however at least two of their former Thrusters (25-0176 and 25-0178) are still around (tho not flying) and your quoted rego nr indicates these would most likely be from the delivery you mention. I did a Condition Report on 25-0177 when it changed hands here in WA about 5 years ago and I believe it's back in the air near Albany; 25-0178 crashed during a simulated EFATO @ Bindoon 2 years ago; and 25-0176 is in my possession (bought it crashed & incomplete about 9 years ago) and is basis of my ever-ongoing Stitts-winged, Suzuki-engined, T300 Special thats been in my workshop for far too long. Great thing about 'rag & tube' is that (like my grandfather's favourite axe, you know - the one that's had three handles & two heads over the years) they bend and they break but most times they usually don't die - some mug rebuilds them. Cheers

The name John Giles rings a bell.I,m sure it was. By the way. the T600 is not a real plane as the tailwheel is in the wrong end. There was a fatal crash in one near Geelong a few yrs ago due to the stainless steel strut attach bracket being straightened. Stainless doesnt like bending much so it cracked and broke. But there was another accident near Canberra when The guys changed strips,forgot the HT power line and it sawed thru the strut leaving the wing hanging in the flying wire. Its on video from a camera in the plane. One Guy was bruised and the other a broken rib or 2. Tough plane the thruster.

VG/wing fences in diguise Deskpilot:augie:022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gifPud

Seeing an article on Whale Pectoral fins(which are scalloped) this may well be true. My preference is based on looks only but there just might be some gain to be had in 'ugly' LE's after all. Anyone flown both types with the same power? If so, which flies better/faster?

Good stuff flyerme,I notice you have key start - fancy eh? And doors you softee - what are the door frames made of?

Pud

ha ha ,yeh I dont like the breez on my cheeks lol they were made from an old Quicksilver main wing rib inserts (not by me) I think they are about 5/16,very light,but closed nice and flush, excellent pro job.they also are attached with wing nuts on 2 hinges for quick removal for open flying (if u like that sort of thing?lol) I should mention ,I am very regretably and sadly be advertising it at the end of this week.. I purchacing a T300 yeh an old GEMINI twin seat.... so will advertise my T83EH on ebay starting at $5000 with 12 months reg ,only 31 hrs on engine 330hrs on airframe(although still fly it every mourning) radio and head set, more details when advertised and yes fly away no more to pay...will demenstate and give a very detailed flying technique and happy to watch you fly here but it is the easist plane to fly NOT like the twin this is very very doscile any way more details when advertised it has been a very hard descission but I really want a twin seat and after owning this beast I love the Thrusters..

I like your photo in post #28 Geoffrey Wood, pity it has a trainer wheel at the front:smile:It's interesting to see just how far back the main gear is located, in comparison with the tail dragger Thruster. Looks like the main gear lines up with the rear bulkhead behind the pilot, whereas the T500 I have, has the main axle at the point where the wing struts attach to the fuselage.

Interesting bit of information in your post #29; were you involved in selling Thrusters. Would you have any information on my T500 25-0331?

Pud

Hi Pud. Read your aircraft story yesterday,fascinating.Here is someone totally involved .Great stuff. I really miss the thruster flying but near Maroochydore Q,ld its less "outback"fun. The first ThrusterI flew was 25-0001 on 04/1984, we had 0019 in apl,84.(Geminis)first TST was 0093 Oct ,87 first T-500 was 250232 Nov ,88 so yours must be shortly after that date. It would be interesting to talk sometime ,if you email [email protected] your Landline I will ring you if you like. Cheers

I'll send you a PM (Private Message) from the forums here Geoff.

I'm glad you found my story interesting:cheezy grin:

Sounds like you have long time history with the Thrusters.

250232 was the first T500 eh? 250235 sits in a hangar at Northam and is owned by Steve Vette - you may know him. He is a member here as well. I did my Thruster training in 250235.

Anyway, bit busy now, so I'll talk to you later.

Pud

• 1 month later...
ha ha ,yeh I dont like the breez on my cheeks lol they were made from an old Quicksilver main wing rib inserts (not by me) I think they are about 5/16,very light,but closed nice and flush, excellent pro job.they also are attached with wing nuts on 2 hinges for quick removal for open flying (if u like that sort of thing?lol) I should mention ,I am very regretably and sadly be advertising it at the end of this week.. I purchacing a T300 yeh an old GEMINI twin seat.... so will advertise my T83EH on ebay starting at $5000 with 12 months reg ,only 31 hrs on engine 330hrs on airframe(although still fly it every mourning) radio and head set, more details when advertised and yes fly away no more to pay...will demenstate and give a very detailed flying technique and happy to watch you fly here but it is the easist plane to fly NOT like the twin this is very very doscile any way more details when advertised it has been a very hard descission but I really want a twin seat and after owning this beast I love the Thrusters..

I hope there will be an "and there's more .......... ......... ........ ....... ...... ..... .... ... ... .. . a set of steak knives with that!"

• Like 1