The Oaks to Mittagong

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Well we all headed out to The Oaks this afternoon. Took Dave for an unplanned flight out to the Mittagong area. Our plan was to depart The Oaks, track South and land at Mittagong for a look see. I took off in Johns Jabiru 1817 from RWY 18L.Flew out with Picton, Thirlmere and Tahmoor port side. Overflew the township of Hilltop. Most of the trip we had a 15kt headwind. Reduced our ground speed a little. We stayed at 3,500ft most of the way.Descent overhead the field 3,000ft and Dave and I saw the windsocks below at Mittagong indicating atleast a 20kt x-wind so I decided to overfly and head back to The Oaks.Shame as we were going to swap seats at Mittagong. Next time Dave! Good to have company none the less. Tracking back to The Oaks the same way, this time with a tail wind. :) Landing once again on RWY 18L. Thanks to Dave and Marilyn for coming out the day and Emma and the kids for putting up with our love of flight. Total trip time .7. Here are some pics from the day.

Departing The Oaks with a 'wiggle of the wings' goodbye to the wives club below.

Dave has given Emma and Marilyn a pre-flight lesson.They'll be right to solo now.

Emma with the Jabiru. Check out that cap. Wonder where she got that from? ;)

John Taru with Waynes Jabiru. Candid shots are the best!

Dave C should have some inflight pics shortly. Hope you enjoyed.

Guest David C

What a great afternoon we had 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif.. Even the ladies seemed to enjoy it , but there again we were out of their hair for almost an hour I suppose 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif..

Hope you enjoy ..

Guest Fred Bear

Thanks Dave. Awesome pics! Do you have that original report of yours still, ie, the one with V1, rotate etc? Ha ha. Only got a glimpse of it before it was gone.

Guest Fred Bear
Nice rate of turn there without Aileron!! :ah_oh: bit of slip though;)

Ha ha ha 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I knew someone would pic it up ;) Thanks. Don't trust that little plane you see there. Turbulence is wonderful my friend ;)

Guest David C
Thanks Dave. Awesome pics! Do you have that original report of yours still, ie, the one with V1, rotate etc? Ha ha. Only got a glimpse of it before it was gone.

No unfortunately not 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif.... I deleted it when I realised you had posted ...

DaveC's original trip report

At about 11ish this morning , my phone received an sms , " going to The Oaks are you going , Emma ?" . Well let me tell you , Marilyn and I were out of the house in record time , Oaks bound .We met with Darren and Emma , had Jabiru 1817 preflighted and were ready to go . But "where shall we go" Darren said . It was a bit hazy and a long flight was probably not on , so we settled on good old Mittagong ,011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif.. It was decided that Darren would fly down and I back , a good idea . Soon we were speeding down Runway 18L , I called V1, Rotate ,positive climb , gear up , but wait we had a problem , where is the gear lever ? . We had a laugh about that as we climbed to 3500' and settled into the flight . We overflew Thirlmere , Buxton , Hilltop and soon had good old Mittagong in sight . It became obvious by now that we had about a 20Kt headwind and on descent we could see the windsock horizontal and pointing across the only runway . Darren made the early decision to turn overhead the airfield and head back to The Oaks , a good decision given the conditions . The flight back was uneventful , quite calm and quicker than the flight down !!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif The haze had cleared by now and afforded good views of the Sydney basin to the North and the Blue Mountains to the West . All too soon The Oaks airfield was in sight .We made an approach to r/w 18L , making it necessary for some "heavy metal " Piper Warrior from Bankstown to hold and await our arrival . Our ladies greeted us , and we retired to the luxurious surroundings of the First Class lounge at The Oaks to further reflect on the flight ..Heres to the next ;) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

David C ..