Aging Gracefully, Flying Safely

Admin

Nah Ian, I would rather abide by the motto of the Ulysses Motor Cycle gang:"GROWING OLD, DISGRACEFULLY".

As I mature I don't mind getting fatter, having hair face the dilemna of going grey or falling out, or slowing down, but the thing that really gets up my goat is losing my visual acuity. Requiring a pair of specs lock wired on is a pain. I suppose it is a reasonable compromise in order to maintain a Class 2 medical, but I don't like it!!

It certainly is a relevant article, and given that the mature end of the spectrum are present in spades within the aviation community, should invoke some comments.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Daryl Parsons

Dont worry mate your not alone, silver hair teeth are slowly falling out as well, most importantly is waking up alive, and being vertical. Forgetfulness I have been working at it a long time , I reckon I am entitled to it.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

This would be an interesting course...In the Media Section:http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/aging-gracefully-flying-safely.32250/

Every day is a bonus but I hope to keep flying for at least another 12 years.

I was at Point Cook for a heritage fly-in a couple of years ago and met this absolutely gorgeous old chap who was flying a Jodel (I think...my memory is not too good) with a check pilot.

He was 90 years old and flew Spits during WWII. He had two hearing aids in the size of turnips and he walked bowlegged, but he flew that Jodel like it was a fighter. Magnificent!

kaz

• Like 1