Lightwing GR912s Specifications

ave8rr

Guest Maj Millard

If you look at the computer generated image of the LSA it's got the same 'ridgeback' rear turtle deck as the prev GR models. I've heard some comments that the current look is not right, otherwise the plane looks pretty interesting to me. They've done away with the bar ahead of the dash so I don't know what I would hang my Ipad from now ........It is good to see Howie coming up with an LDA and another high wing ..................Maj........

• 3 weeks later...

Was looking at gumtree ad mentioned in another post where a Lightwing is included in the sale.

The ad mentions a 65kt cruise speed for the Lightwing, which I immediately thought was a little conservative, even with a 582. Can someone (Doug and Maj....this means you!!!!) shed any light on that claim?

I dared to ask and he was looking around $35K for the plane, which would (for that price) want to have a 912 I would have thought and thus a MUCH better cruise!

Also, what is the deal with the single strut LW's? Is that an issue or just not as good as the later versions?

Love to hear the low down as there are some nice examples for sale lately.

Any info appreciated.

Was looking at gumtree ad mentioned in another post where a Lightwing is included in the sale.The ad mentions a 65kt cruise speed for the Lightwing, which I immediately thought was a little conservative, even with a 582. Can someone (Doug and Maj....this means you!!!!) shed any light on that claim?

I dared to ask and he was looking around $35K for the plane, which would (for that price) want to have a 912 I would have thought and thus a MUCH better cruise!

Also, what is the deal with the single strut LW's? Is that an issue or just not as good as the later versions?

Love to hear the low down as there are some nice examples for sale lately.

Any info appreciated.

I don't have a Lightwing, but I have some knowledge of them. 65kt IAS wouldn't surprise me as an economical cruise speed, particularly the wooden prop version. This might well translate to 70~72kts TAS... for your $35k, you're getting a full welded steel tube fuselage designed for exceptional crashworthiness, 6061-T6 aluminium wing structure, and no worries about stability or control power under any loading situation. The structural life is also indefinite for the fuselage, and pretty near so for the wing structure.

I believe the single strut option ended up gaining virtually nothing, which just means the 2-strut version had the second strut in the right place.

As the cruise speed goes up as the cube root of the power, and a strut-braced Drifter on a 582 will do little better than 65~68kts IAS, I'm not sure why a Lightwing should be much faster.... they had to meet the original silly low stall speed of 40kts, remember...

• Haha 1

Guest Maj Millard

Sebb,

Half of what bob said above is correct in relation to structure etc.

The single strut version is the GA vs the GR and has a completely different wing. I believe all the GA single strut models had either the Aeropower or 912 engine fitted, and were mostly factory built althought there are some around that were kit build by original builders, and one that I know of that doesn't have the standard flaps which the majority have.

The wing is completely different being approx 20 SqFt smaller overall in area and more like the Saphire wing in airfoil and plan. The main spar is situated in a different spot to the GR hence the single strut, and the wing itself about 4 " further north on the fuselage.

The GA is generally a faster aircraft in cruise but also a bit trickier to land and really needs the flaps. Both fuselages are basically the same.

Personally I like the GR with the larger wing and double strut for its greater lifting capability, and my particular aircraft which has the optional GA style flaps is the best of both worlds.

The GAs smaller wing also by the way has a reflex position on its flaps which is good for a free 5-6 kts in cruise. Physically I can't reflex the flaps on my GR wing unfortunatly.

Even with the smaller wing the GA still lifts and climbs well and is a great little aircraft for someone who doesn't mind doing a little more work come landing time, and wants to cruise a good bit faster than the big wing GR. Howie only built around 14 GAs, and the owners who fly them usually are very happy, and generally hang onto them long term. That being said however I currently know of two GAs up in this area that may be for sale at the moment. On a standard factory built GA and the other a kit built one without the flaps but with Xtra long- range tanks in the wings. Below are two photos of GAs in this area...vs the third which is my GR with the large standard wing and the optional GA style flaps..............................Maj.......

image.jpg.8aa62f18ca5c6a50faf3c165ef4b2743.jpg

image.jpg.e6914da3f7c2030e82bde8e47d6f15dc.jpg

image.jpg.d587fb7e804d12aff5f921341389f3d5.jpg

Thanks Bob and Maj!

I was naturally curious as to whether the single strut was a less robust model, but appears to be of little consequence given the smaller wing area etc?

What is the 'rule of thumb' cruise for a 582 version? Having sold my Drifter, I really do like what I have heard about the LW (not to mention the fact that Howie is still in business).

What is the ballpark starting figure for a 582 for e.g? I have seen what looks to be a very neat 'Aeropowered' GA version in WA and a nice GR582 for around 25/26K I think?

Guest Maj Millard

Not sure how reliable the Aaeropower is, or parts availability etc. $26-26k don't sound like a bad price for a 582 if its in good shape with a good engine.

I have a friend here rebuilding one currently that he picked up out west with 3000+ hours on it with trailer for about $10k...it is turning out to be in good shape and is going to be ery nice when finished. This example was as bad as you could imagine after 20 odd years of hard station use, but is coming back fine. Obviously if one needs a lot of work that should be reflected in a low asking price. will attach some photos of that rebuild as taken last week....Cheers Ross

image.jpg.94bb062cd6c5f11b03047cea16c94953.jpg

image.jpg.1e38797eca6af45c9bd3d874c05a9eb7.jpg

image.jpg.828a6a57841ab450a8b938521b4596a8.jpg

image.jpg.b7b1bc92561cefbcfc1eaee8f2686476.jpg

image.jpg.51984e540ff3f3ad88c6edff509cf4a0.jpg

image.jpg.82ec23dd630014048de94add52941a33.jpg

image.jpg.15b7949d24486c11b9e730e949f14252.jpg

image.jpg.03b15cdc8fb28caffba1346142298161.jpg

Thanks Maj - all very interesting to see, as they are proving to be an interesting prospect.

That 582 looks tiny in that front end, but I like the inspection panel etc near the tailwheel. Very clever! What sort of money is involved in re-covering wings etc? Is Howie the cheapest option for that sort of stuff?

Doug - that (in my book) is pretty decent performance for a 'real' plane with a 2 stroke

Now, to find me a sound GR582 perhaps?

I've flown a mate's GR 582 a bit - it certainly gets very thirsty if you ask more than 60 knots of it. That said, it is a very pleasant aircraft to fly, a great tail dragger, strong, responsive and fun. Laurie

Guest Maj Millard

Sebb,

The gentleman restoring this one is retired and a true craftsman. He has also built several aircraft including original designs throughout his career, and as you can see the results are always impressive. I Look foward to being the one who will probabily get to run the 582 in for him, and possible test fly the aircraft when completed.

Like Dougs 032 and David Sees early Lightwing recently featured in the magazine, the early ones are all quite lightweight and just a pleasure to fly really. They go quite well with the 582 up front, even two up, and Doug recently flew 032 down to Old Station for the second year in a row.

Cheers.......... Maj....

Hmm, could be interesting! Will be waiting patiently then! I'm not looking for a showstopper, but rather something sound with some room for tinkering!!

Incidentally, what sort of $$ is involved in re-covering wings etc?

• 10 months later...

With MARAP, will it be possible to raise the MTOW from the very restrictive 480kg for the GR912 series aeroplanes? I note that the Lightwing website says 600kg MTOW for the GR912 and Sport 2000.

Could these aircraft be re-registered in the 24 category if it can't be achieved while 25/55 registered?

There are some nice lightwings for sale but have very restrictive payloads (180kg) or so.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

So. Has any one been through the process to increase the 480kg limit lately? I want to increase to 544 to get a workable, legal airframe.

How was it? Did it take long? Was it expensive? Was it successful?

• Like 1

I dunno.

Speaking to the RAAus dude, CASA need some engineering specs to allow it.

If it was as simple as being 55 registered, then what would the MTOW be? Where is this info?

Yes I have read it, but feel that it doesn't answer the questions.

The Lightwing I am buying has a placarded MTOW of 480kg.

Can I just 'declare' that it is now 544kg (1200lb) because the Regs are a little more relaxed? I don't reckon I can.

So how do the Coominya lightwings, which are of a similar manufacture date, achieve a higher MTOW?

Has any other operator with a 12 yo Lightwing got a better MTOW than 480kg? It would make a huge difference to its usability.

Dosn't the CAO that the aircraft were registered under limit the MTOW? 55/25 etc even if tested to a higher structural weight by Hughes.

Correct. The MTOW of any 25 or 55 series RAA aircraft is exactly what was ratified by CASA at the time the certification for that particular aircraft was applied for. Whilst it is acknowledged that there was minimum in the Lightwing structural upgrade by Hughes Eng to attain the 480kg limit, it would require either a letter from Howie (bit difficult now) or an expensive Car35 engineering process to support a weight increase application. In the meantime, everybody knows (if you're careful in loading), a L/wing will get off the ground with two round hay bales, three sheep and a roll of fence wire in the massive cargo hold. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif cheers

• Like 1

Hughes Engineering is still there, even if Howie is there only in spirit. Would a letter from them suffice?

In the meantime, everybody knows (if you're careful in loading), a L/wing will get off the ground with two round hay bales, three sheep and a roll of fence wire in the massive cargo hold.

...but would the re insurer or CASA think it's funny? Don't reckon.