Lightwing GR912s Specifications

ave8rr

Hughes Engineering is still there, even if Howie is there only in spirit. Would a letter from them suffice?

...but would the re insurer or CASA think it's funny? Don't reckon.

Methinks you may have missed my 'tongue-in-cheek' shot at the absolute minimal storage space available in the GR912?

Yes I have read it, but feel that it doesn't answer the questions.The Lightwing I am buying has a placarded MTOW of 480kg.

Can I just 'declare' that it is now 544kg (1200lb) because the Regs are a little more relaxed? I don't reckon I can.

So how do the Coominya lightwings, which are of a similar manufacture date, achieve a higher MTOW?

Has any other operator with a 12 yo Lightwing got a better MTOW than 480kg? It would make a huge difference to its usability.

Give John a call at Coominya Flight Training and ask him. I know there was a bit of a story about these aircraft and their weight and balance approvals.

Hello

As far as I know most are 450KG my two stroke was 544 KG for 20 years and then they droped it back too 400 kg the GA 55 I have now is only 450 kg which is stupid .

but the will carry what ever weight you put in them as long as you keep within the CofG . not saying too do that of course but I have flown in the passed with no problems

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Riley

Methinks you may have missed my 'tongue-in-cheek' shot at the absolute minimal storage space available in the GR912?

yes, the tongue-in-cheek-ness went through to the keeper, as I am getting the impression (not from this forum) that it seems to be an acceptable practise to load in excess of the MTOW, irrespective of the lack of space. Two pilots and full fuel load will over load the aircraft.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Can any one please advise the approx basic empty weight, MTOW, VNO and VNE figures from the POH of a GR912s tail wheel or nose wheel Lightwing aircraft?Cheers

Most are 480 mtow as RAA have changed this my old two stroke was drop from 544 too 400 kg

I am hoping that RAA are attempting to address the whole MTOW issue for Lightwing.

My GA-912 is limited to 480kg but that makes it a single seater. It was clearly designed to be a two seater training aircraft, but at the time it was first registered, the law limited MTOW to 480kg. So I'm stuck with that at present.

I hope sanity prevails

• Like 1

As it turns out, the lack of any progress toward this out come has frustrated me into action.

I have engaged an Aeronautical Engineer last week to conduct the necessary inspections and calculations to enable an application for me to increase the MTOW of my GR912s to 544kg. I am only seeking this 64 kg increase.

If it leads anywhere, I will keep this forum up to date. Depending on the cost, I will be able to share any info to allow others to also agitate RAAus for an increase tho their machines as well.

Wish me luck....

• Agree 1

I am hoping that RAA are attempting to address the whole MTOW issue for Lightwing.My GA-912 is limited to 480kg but that makes it a single seater. It was clearly designed to be a two seater training aircraft, but at the time it was first registered, the law limited MTOW to 480kg. So I'm stuck with that at present.I hope sanity prevails

My understanding is that the aircraft were designed to a higher MTOW but were limited to 480kg due to the CAO at the time. How any "legal" training was done in these aircraft or others (Skyfox etc) is beyond me...
  • Agree 1

My understanding is that the aircraft were designed to a higher MTOW but were limited to 480kg due to the CAO at the time. How any "legal" training was done in these aircraft or others (Skyfox etc) is beyond me...

When I did my training they where 544 mtow back then which is plenty for the Lightwing in my view
  • Agree 1

It never did.

That was all hearsay

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
As it turns out, the lack of any progress toward this out come has frustrated me into action.I have engaged an Aeronautical Engineer last week to conduct the necessary inspections and calculations to enable an application for me to increase the MTOW of my GR912s to 544kg. I am only seeking this 64 kg increase.

If it leads anywhere, I will keep this forum up to date. Depending on the cost, I will be able to share any info to allow others to also agitate RAAus for an increase tho their machines as well.

Wish me luck....

Any progress with the MTOW increase benjam?

Hi Silvercity.

Not much to report yet,

I have submitted the initial application. The eng is still getting his figures together. I have to get an up dated annual on the acft, which is due next month anyway, so was waiting to align that together.

It is is slow progress thus far.

Is the RAA not interested in getting this weight increase through the MARAP system?

That way the RAA pays for the engineering and the cost is shared by each owner that wants the weight increase.

I believe this was done to early model Foxbat's that were originally 450 kg. Although there was mfg support I think....

• 1 month later...

The Lightwing thread has been quiet lately. I hope thats because the Lightwing fraternity are all too busy flying, to post.

My GA-912 has been a long project and now very near to completion. It's registered, and I've done the flight testing required to legally run a Bolly propeller (performs really well, too). Still awaiting final MARAP approval but that looks very close now.

My circumstances have changed. I must sell. Anybody interested, please contact me for details and make an offer.

Peter, 0435-318-731

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As far as I know there is no difference between the two apart from a paper trail one was registered later so was branded with 55 the other was 25 and home built are 19. And there are a few with VH brandings but the aircraft are to my knowledge the same eg GA 55 as mine is & GR 582 -532 areopowed units & 912 s think there is one flying with an rotex radial engine as well !

Doug. that radial-engined 912 GA55 is no more. About 5 years ago after only about 17 hours logged from commissioning with the radial, it fell on it's nose on take-off and was written off. I bought the wreck for the engine (subsequently zero-timed by Rotec and now powering a Fisher Celebrity bi-plane) and still have the remainder of the dis-assembled Lightwing in my hangar. I'll never get around to rebuilding it but it's too good to part out so I keep tripping over and cursing it.

Doug. that radial-engined 912 GA55 is no more. About 5 years ago after only about 17 hours logged from commissioning with the radial, it fell on it's nose on take-off and was written off. I bought the wreck for the engine (subsequently zero-timed by Rotec and now powering a Fisher Celebrity bi-plane) and still have the remainder of the dis-assembled Lightwing in my hangar. I'll never get around to rebuilding it but it's too good to part out so I keep tripping over and cursing it.