Where can I fly a Drifter?

ParkesFlyer

I've been flying for a few years now, mostly in a FoxBat, but I have a strong urge to try a Drifter! I'd like to give the ol' open cockpit a go, and if I like it I'd like to have a crack at my tail wheel & LP endorsements.

I live at Parkes in Central NSW, is there anywhere inland that I could have a test drive? Is there a register of places where Drifters are used for instruction?

PF.

Drifters are in abundance up here Parkesflyer, with three schools I know of with-in a couple of hours of each other that train in Drifters.

If you get a chance to get up this way - Dalby area - let me know and I'll organise something for you, can take you for a ride, or hook you up with the CFI for some instruction. There's the folks at Clifton also, and Kev (?) down near Gatton somewhere.

Of course there's aways Wayne Fisher at Lismore.

Sorry I don't know of anyone down further your way, but it's only a couple of hours up here in the Foxy I would imagine! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Recreational Flying Company at Gympie!!!!! Absolute true stick and rudder chaps! Paul mckeown

Is CFI, ex-Austflight drifter test pilot when he was a teenager - has ferried drifters to the edge of the continent, was the youngest auf cfi in the 90's in Boonah, can fly anything with wings and truly a phenomenal instructor....he is now first officer for major airline "to fund his drifter hobby" and absolute aviation guru, yet only in his 30s - Petey stanton is Senior instr. and by far one of most exp. Rag and tube instructors in this country. 2 or 3 drifters at the school and the atmosphere and spirit of passionate flying these guys posess is magical.......

• Like 2

I reckon the smart money is on training schools having a Drifter in the hangar just for LP and two stroke endorsements, they do not require a large capital investment. If you pull it to the front of the hangar on display during the day, I reckon they would be surprised how much interest, inquiry and hopefully business it would get. Very hard to get Drifter instruction down this way. They are tremendous fun to fly.

I reckon the smart money is on training schools having a Drifter in the hangar just for LP and two stroke endorsements, they do not require a large capital investment. If you pull it to the front of the hangar on display during the day, I reckon they would be surprised how much interest, inquiry and hopefully business it would get. Very hard to get Drifter instruction down this way. They are tremendous fun to fly.

I'm working on it 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif094_busted.gif.ae638bd7cbc787b7b31a16c9b8b3a6b4.gif, Hopefully in the next 12-18 months. There will be one in the Sydney basin for training and/or hire.... Watch this space!

• Like 1

Gympie is the place Recreational Flying Company is great I agree with Dave Mason. did my Nav's and Formation with those guy's very professional.

Only problem is it is a bit too far to drive for us poor Southerners ... You Queenslanders seem to have it made with different aircraft types available.

Make sure you make it well known when you do Skydancer.

I intend to, just working on location and logisitics and everything else needed to set up a flight training facility, including an aircraft (very important). At least one drifter to start with, I too have a passion for formation flying/low level flying (approved) so things like that will be incorporated into the school. super_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif

cheers

Anthony

• Like 1

Not only is Gympie a Drifter haven, the weather is great, different every day great cross winds for pushing your envelope. also 20 mins to the sea. and terrific views flying to the North and the West. Load of terrific guys at Gympie Flying Club. just the place to retire and just fly the Drifter. sorry just day dreaming

Well it looks like Gympie could be the go then, may have to look at planning a holiday up there.David keep us posted on your progress regardless, it'd be great to have somewhere nice and close to pick up a few endorsements!

PF.

I have not flown with Paul.But he is known around these parts as a great instructor.I have flown with Peter Stanton , he has about 5000 hours in drifters.He realy knows his stuff mate.He has taught me alot.If that helps.

• 2 years later...
5000 hrs on Drifters ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif Thats the equivalent of flying around the world in a drifter super_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif and a little bit more. Thats a helluva lot of drifter time.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Hi Skydancer, just wondering if you were making any progress on the availability of Drifter training or hire down there? If you are on Facebook, I have set up the "Drifter aircraft appreciation society"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1419567688295037/

and want to publish just where abouts in Aus one can still train and hire a Drifter. I am also looking for any old/new Drifter pics, stories, tips, classifieds, etc.. Hope you can join soon, and anyone else out there who wants to, of course

• Like 1

There is one at Taree. Arthur Amour 'Taree Wing' does training in her if you ask.

Sorry David, and PF,

The local Taree Drifter has moved on, owner got tired of all the effort, and sold it for a Jetski.

Not exactly sure where it went?

Am now doing Tailwheel and Two-Stroke in a LightWing, while they last...

Arthur.

• Like 1

That's a shame about the Taree training diss appearing. I know insurance and low engine tbo s for 2 strokes are a big hurdle for drifters in a training role. I think it's sad. There was a time when 90% of schools of course had a drifter....

Yes Jim Cab. Rec. Aviation have a drifter avail I am guessing 2 schools have an agreement for it to share it's duties between there and the RFC at Gynpie.

For all things Drifter go to the new Facebook group the "Drifter appreciation society"

• Like 1

Sorry David, and PF,The local Taree Drifter has moved on, owner got tired of all the effort, and sold it for a Jetski.

Not exactly sure where it went?

Am now doing Tailwheel and Two-Stroke in a LightWing, while they last...

Arthur.

What a bummer Arthur ... all those good times we had, not a bad machine either. How much did she sell for?