Lake Hume Crash

Unfortunately the pilot got his just rewards if this was such the case, keep playing with fire your bound to get burnt, keep playing just above the water not within gliding distance of land unless the craft is fitted with floats your going to get wet.

End result was good, pilot is alive and that's the main point, sapphire is wrecked but it can be replaced.

Lesson for us all is if you take the risk be prepared for the concequences.

I am not perfect I take a calculated risk every time I fly over the great divide from WSL to PPKA but i sure don't do it 500ft above the ridge lines.

I am not judging the pilot as i don't know the circumstances, all i know is the plane is wrecked after making contact with the water and the plane doesn't fly by itself.

Cheers

Alf

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember folks, 99% of non-fliers say things like 'loops' and 'dives' when in fact none of these things occur. Eye witness accounts of plane crashes, car crashes, bank robberies and street muggings always need to be carefully analysed before coming to any conclusion. Maybe the pilot will come on here and tell us what really happened.

Guest pookemon
What is interesting about that pookemon?

You must stay 100m from any people if you are below 500ft above the ground - he wasn't above ground... That same CAO makes a clear distinction between being above ground and above water. But doesn't mention that you must also be 100m from any people if you are over water. That's clutching at straws - but it's the kind of argument that could be used in a legal defence.

I have to join any who would say wait for ALL the facts even though it may appear to be an open and shut case. What we are relying on here so far, is sources that have been notably unreliable in the past. Any body deserves the benefit of the doubt and not to be judged prematurely as each of you would want for yourselves. Nev

• Like 1

Just saw on the WIN TV news that the incident was witnessed by two off-duty police and one on-duty water policeman and they are providing witness statements. The pilot has two days to provide a written report to RAAus who will then advise CASA.

Pilot was breath tested at the scene, but police aren't saying anything (as usual). Pilot had blood samples taken at hospital for alcohol and drug testing. The delay on those is running at abt 1 month.

Just saw on the WIN TV news that the incident was witnessed by two off-duty police and one on-duty water policeman and they are providing witness statements. The pilot has two days to provide a written report to RAAus who will then advise CASA.Pilot was breath tested at the scene, but police aren't saying anything (as usual). Pilot had blood samples taken at hospital for alcohol and drug testing. The delay on those is running at abt 1 month.

This wasn't his lucky day was it.

hell how stupid some people can be. great reading tho.

Winsor, link just needs to have the end bit removed. or google darwin awards.

You must stay 100m from any people if you are below 500ft above the ground - he wasn't above ground... That same CAO makes a clear distinction between being above ground and above water. But doesn't mention that you must also be 100m from any people if you are over water. That's clutching at straws - but it's the kind of argument that could be used in a legal defence.

Not an argument I'd like to try and mount...kaz

This wasn't his lucky day was it.

Hi TP,

Hmmm, I would say just the opposite! Firstly and most important, he is still alive! Secondly, if he was being a naughty boy, then he will learn a very important lesson. I would say he was very fortunate...

Cheers

Neil

J170 0wner, that journo wouldn't have been Bernie keenan would it ?............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gifWe had a guy do the same thing up here in the North a few years ago, with a passenger in back of his Drifter.He didn't hang around to answer questions and hasn't been seen since !

Ross, You may not be aware, but, appart from the bit where he didn`t hang around to answer questions and hasn`t been seen since,you are correct.... In fact he did hang around to answer questions... He was here just a week ago, to say hello to Fran and me.

I know the guy and the details of the accident well!

He obtained his pilot certificate at a very well known school down south.

At times, we all do stupid things that we wish we had not done, he simply did a couple of very stupid things and two guys almost lost their lives.

The aircraft went to the bottom in ten metres of very dirty water. It sustained some major damage but ended up resting on the bottom,upright on it`s wheels.

How do I know?.... I was the guy who went down with SCUBA gear to retrieve the aircraft and help get it back to dry land.

This is another reminder to anyone who thinks that a low pass or a couple of circles around their mates siting down there in their boat, is a cool or sensible thing to do.

Don`t do it!...You could die, or worse!...You could get smashed up!... You could also kill someone else.

Frank.

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

So we need to be careful that we dont sound "whiter than white". How many of us can honestly say after quite a few years of flying that we never did anything that caused some solid post flying reflection????

I certainly cant. This is not the place to go into all the details but as they say,add to the bucket of experience all the while hoping that the bucket of luck doesnt empty..... of course there are many things you can do yourself to ensure that the bucket of luck gets called on less often and that doesnt involve no risk, just risk where you understand the probabilities.

I remeber once landing in a field beside the murray in SA. From the air it looked about as nice a field as you could want and perfect for a 582 airborne trike. about 1/3 into the landing roll I jumped over a drainage ditch that wasnt visible from the air...until you knew to look for it. Because I was still at about flying speed I effectively hit the lip on the otherside only an inch or so down so it was just a bump for a ditch that was about 5ft across and 2-3ft deep. If it had been in the last 1/3 of the rollout I suspect that I would be the proud owner of a collection of bits that used to be a trike.

If that had happened Im sure it would have made this forum and discussions about my lack of flying skills, intelligence, and questions of permission and prior inspection etc etc would all have been discussed......

Andy

There is a difference between making mistakes and breaking rules with this accident the first thing I thought was "too many anti-depressants".

Where I think the RAA can come unstuck in a significant way, you have a small percentage of the RAA but still a large number of pilots endangering themselves, their passengers and the general public and its well documented on the public record. One of these events may well end up with the public getting injured and a legal claim ensuing. The insurance company offering public liability finds that the RAA has been negligent by continued licensing dangerous pilots and revokes its coverage leaving the RAA to cover the payout.

Andy, I don`t know that anyone here is trying to be " Whiter than White ". As I said in my earlier post, " At times, we all do stupid things that we wish we had not done".

Why shouldn`t the deatails of an accident be published or discussed here. If this forum is not for publishing and discussing the details of an accident, then what is it for?...We may as well not bother !

If we are serious about improving safety, I believe it is up to those of us who have more experience to make it quite clear where the pitfalls are.

If possible, I prefer to call a spade a spade ( So to speak ) and tell it as it is!

Frank.

• Like 2

Reminds me of the anonymous saying:

"... the whole world is mad except thee and me, and I am not so sure about thee ..."

There is after all a little bit of madness in us all ...

What we once got away with no one knew about ... if we don't get away with it everyone knows about it.

• Like 2

As an aside, perhaps we need to keep the thought in the back of our minds, that everywhere we go, there will be someone with a camera ready to record what we do.

Especially now, as 99% of the population carry a mobile phone WITH a camera.

With police statements, and these photos, things certainly are not looking good for the pilot, or our RAA reputation.

I can see the devilish machinations of politicial movement ahead from our detractors...

Guest pookemon
Shouldn`t everyone who obtains a pilot certificate, recreational or otherwise, know what is illegal?Frank.

Unfortunately the rules are so poorly written, in alot of the cases, that I doubt that anyone knows what is illegal in a number of cases.

For example, (pop quiz - CAR-234) what does the law state about fuel reserves?

However, the rules in this situation (i.e. the "Accident") are quite clear...