Microsoft Flight takes to the skies

Admin

• 3 weeks later...
How much different/better is this from the previous X version?

Golly, there's no real short way to answer this. If you can believe the marketing hype and the pre-release videos, it's very much improved - better looking, more realistic and more stable. Apparently, it's also being sold/licenced in a quite different manner than before: the Hawaiian islands region is free and you can buy other regions as you wish. What they'll cost I don't think they've revealed yet.

Having said all that, over the years, I've invested quite a bit in FSX and it's associated software and hardware, so I'm probably not going to change too quickly. Time will tell.

As long as they dont change the controls or general interface I'll be happy. FSX is great for flying aircraft I know I will never get to fly in real life (Such as turbines) and also practicing procedures such as engine failures. I also have found it good for understanding the dangers of instrument flight without proper training, decided to fire it up the other day and fly a Seneca in the dead of night. Amazing how the mind can play tricks on you even if it is a computer screen you're looking at, couple of times I was trying to level the wings because I thought they weren't only to look at the AH and find in my efforts I've just gone through 60 degrees angle of bank and not realised it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

WARNING...the download is 1.5gig in size. There are two parts to the download, first the installer at about 650kb, and then you click the installer file which will then download and install on your PC the remaining 1.5gig of data. I have super fast Optus Cable so I was getting around 9meg a second and only took a couple of minutes to completely download and install so it is obvious that the file is most probably accessed in your own country but even still, unless you have a decent internet connection it may take you some time to download and install.

Looks good though...as a game at this stage

The planes look good, but the graphics are more "cartoonish" and from first impression I can't see it as a replacement for any hardcore Simulator fans, it seems more like a computer game than a simulator. Don't want to knock it before I give it a good run, but FSX with the addons for my local scenery, aircraft is still my first choice at this point

Review on Avsim:

Contributing reviewer Luis Feliz-Tirado gives us his first impressions of Microsoft's Flight. "Flight Simulator is an excellent game where we all pretend to be pilots of different sorts, landing on dirt strips in Alaska, soaring high on a thermal, taking a chopper up for a spin, running an airline company, or flying the NAT according to the book. Flight is no more, nor less, a game than Flight Simulator X and has all the same hunts and hoops that are present in that game. And in the same way that many paid little or no attention to the game elements there, they will be able to do the same with Flight."

"Much has changed with Flight Simulator 11 (a.k.a. Flight) so let's take a look at some of the major differences. First of all, there are no jetliners, in fact, no jets of any sort. No helicopters, no sailplane, no Extra aerobatic airplane. No Cessna, no training syllabus, no Rod Machado jokes. No Artificial Intelligence (AI) aircraft traffic, no Air Traffic Control (ATC), no Flight Planner, and no Real Weather. No worldwide coverage with 24000+ airports. How's that for radical change? It's almost as if MGS had taken a close look at what we used and what we did not use and gave us a sim that reflected that."

"Some people had rejected Flight long before the RTW date and nothing will make them change their minds, at least at first. Experience has shown that many of them will sooner or later try it and switch, certainly as soon as DLC covering their area of interest is offered. Others, more open-minded, would like to give Flight a try; they look forward to it, but also do not yet see any content that could satisfy them. They shall just have to bide their time and wait for their wish to be released."

"MGS has clearly said that they want to attract a lot more people to Flight who would not normally have become users of FS. The content and format of Flight certainly are oriented in that sense. But they have also repeatedly stated that they will provide the same simulation experience for those long-time FS fans who expect a lot more content than is present in Flight. Let's see if we can take them at their word."

"It is normal to resist change, even when beneficial. This is a common human trait and the reaction to Flight was to be expected. But there really is no reason to despair. Flight is a very good base for a complete flight simulator. It seems to be relatively trouble-free, highly extensible, and holds a lot of promise."

Like I said in my review, I think the realism is similar to that os FSX. I find the graphics the same etc. Down point is a serious lack of any sort of extra aircraft, and as Ian posted int he review, no helicopters, no jetliners etc. I'm sure they will come out later, if you are willing to fork out $10 per aircraft.

For a free game, I can see myself playing occasionally. For real flight characteristics, stick with Real Flight. For more fun mission type stuff, wait for World of Warplanes to come out (will be awesome!).