Oil for 503 drifter?

bacon

Guest Maj Millard

Castrol Active 2T is the way to go. Absolutly no reason to use synthetic oil in our 2-strokes. One: it's an unnecessary expense that is not needed. Two: come decoke time it'd be cheaper to throw away both pistons and fit new one's, than to try and decoke, if you've been using full synthetic. Three : Full synthetic oil is hydroscopic (readily absorbs water) and promotes internal rust on bearings and crankshaft. Active 2T has shown that it provides good internal rust protection

Castrol Active 2T does the job well, is inexpensive and readily available, well proven in our engines, and recommended by Rotax ....................................Come by my 2-stroke operators' forum at Temora at 11am Saturday if your there, it'd be good to talk more 2-stroke ! .................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Toally87

Hey Maj, hows montpelier going?

What are you thoughts on Agip oils? I'm gonna grab the Castrol active 2T data sheet and do some comparing.....

Dave

• 1 month later...
l use Penrite Hi-per two stroke semi synthetic low smoke this was the replacement for the green sliml buy it in 20l drums though my mates shop..

I purchased a 200L drum of the penrite oil before they stopped making it, I am now down to my last 25 or so litres, and am looking for a replacement. How have you found the penrite hi per now that you have been using it for a while ? Still happy ? What rpm do you run at ?

026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif I run Castrol ative 2T been using for 25+ years with no problems ran a 582 rotax without a singe failoury .

lightwing ran a warp drive prop at 6400 rpm ontake off power and cruize at 5700@ 70 knots also mixed Avgas & Mogas with no problems I would run mosty Avgas when aviable

• 3 months later...
Hey guysIm taking delivery of a maxair wb 503 drifter next friday when I get home from work( Cant wait been a long 2 weeks!!). And just want to find out what oil everyone is running in there drifters, and were they buy it from hoping to buy in 20l drums if I can

Thanks Bacon

Hi Bacon I have flown your A/C how is it going did you find out what oil Graham was useing? and where do you get the 20 lt drums of penrite/

cheers turtle

Yeah, Castrol Activ 2T in my 582. Was asking a Penrite agent the other day about Hyper and he said it was fine for 582's. Just bought a 20l drum of 2T from Castrol agent in Qbn - cost $147.50. I'll take Ross Millard's recommendation on board as well. I'd stay away from the self mix, sounds like stuff for Mr lawnmower man.Don

Hi Bacon I have flown your A/C how is it going did you find out what oil Graham was useing? and where do you get the 20 lt drums of penrite/cheers turtle

Hi turtle

Drifters going well Im flying it down to wayne fisher on my next break to get the new skins fitted and it will be nearly brand new, I ended up swapping oils and running with the castrol as thats what everyone else in town is using and we have a dealer that stocks it.

Cheers Jamie

• Like 1