Temora 2012

Mackay777

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the weekend overall, although the crowd and exhibitors were down compared to previous years and I could have done the lot in a day... not sure why things were so quiet ... may be the economic times? However, I wonder if the RAA need to rethink the format and lift the entrainment and professionalism levels and copy the Oshkosh process to get more of the public along? I think there is space to get more flying displays happening, particularly being the home of so many warbirds etc.

I did a number of the forums which were very informative and I appreciated the preparation some people made.

The Ozrunways forums were very well attended ... even to the point that it overwhelmed the capacity of the audio and visual service.... never the less it was great and can only see Ozrunways becoming a constant pax in every ac.

It was nice to see a lot of people from this forums and catch up over a meal, a drink or a chat around a stand.

The run home for me was easy going albeit listening to RV's over head at 10,000 ft doing 175 knts and me doing 70 knts in my old Ercoupe made me a little envious. It was good to listen and join in on the chatter over the numbers and could hear all of the chat radiating out of Temora to all of the borders of NSW.

Would I attend a 4th year in a row ... I guess I will, but would like to see some more entertainment.

Cheers

Vev

I would like to take this opportunity and publicly say a HUGE thanks to some people at NatFly that not only came to my rescue in a couple of situations but helped with the Recreational Flying Stand.

Firstly to Mr and Mrs "Biggles" (Aviation term used by site member) and Ed Herring who came to my rescue when I collapsed on the first day (health reasons)

To Steve Runciman (RAAus President) and Dave Caban who also came to my rescue when I was trying to hold down a flying tent, in my jocks, and my 10yo son Lachlan who was screaming and crying in fright from the fear and noise of the wind. Together we were able to remove the side walls of the tent and lower it down for less wind catchment and secure it better.

To Linda and Brian (site user brilin_air) and Qwen (wife of ex WA RAAus rep Ed Smith) who helped in the Recreational Flying tent.

To Jack, the son of "Bubbleboy" (Aviation term used by site member) who kept Lachlan (my son) occupied as they went around NatFly together...even selling the Recreational Flying "Remove Before Flight" key rings

and to any others that I may have missed

Thank YOU for your help and support towards Recreational Flying

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Just posted nearly 100 photos from Natfly onto Flickr :-

....even included a few arty-farty ones of the sunset over the windsock (I must be going soft...). Sadly I still didn't manage to get pix of all the planes that I would have liked , as I kept getting distracted talking to people! So hopefully others will be able to fill in the gaps.

Enjoyed Natfly again this year, especially being able to put some more faces to names from this website, such as Winsor68 and Ross (Maj) Millard. Interesting to hear the origin of the "Maj" handle (and relieved it had nothing to do with Madonna 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif ). Enjoyed the presentation by Ross on two-strokes very much.

Thanks to all the organizers and people who volunteered their time.

Also thanks once again to Mr H. for taking the camping gear for Matt and me up in his car. It meant we could camp in relative comfort (ya can't fit much camping gear into a Gazelle!)

Cheers

Neil

• Like 4

Home sweet home... Ross and I arrived in Marian this afternoon... quick fuel stop and Ross and Lightwing 3370 continued on and is now tucked away in her hanger at Oak valley.

What a week!!!

I will sort through my 200+ photos and videos and start posting... soon.

Gotta catch up with the family... It is great to have these amazing adventures but there is no place like home... Really missed them.

• Like 2

Home sweet home...Gotta catch up with the family... It is great to have these amazing adventures but there is no place like home... Really missed them.

My wife really liked this post, I am looking forward to the photos myself!

Guest Maj Millard

Yes managed a late arrival at Montpelier yesterday, and also very nice to be back with family.

I was showing 95-104 kts GS to Townsville once I kicked Windsor 68 and his gear out at Marion. Who said Lightwings were slow ?!...

Return trip: Temora - Townsville.......Sunday: Left Temora around 9.30 for Dubbo via the 'dish' again near Parks.

After experiencing unusual fuel consumption on this leg, we discovered a cracked fwd exhaust pipe at Dubbo. Love aviation people !...the only hanger open had a slick Cirrus in it.

They ran Windsor into town for a very nice weld job, whilst I did a quick but through check over of all other pipes.

I had removed the muffler before the trip and had it checked over by my favorite welder, and the pipes had looked fine then. Nice stress crack right by a weld.

After 2.5 hrs on the ground at Dubbo, off to Moree for an overnighter after travelling over delightfull white cotton fields around WeeWaa .

Monday- off at Moree around 7.30, and a fly over the Moree show grounds where I had done two demonstration skydives in the early 70s, for the Moree show society. Ah the sweet memories !...

Across the Qld border with a now consistant 20 kt tailwind around 5000 ft, and into my one of my favorite little airports Chinchilla, where there were at least 100 gliders on the ground for a big week long competition meet. Had the pleasure here of meeting the local instructor and his son, who has a very nice new white Eurofox. I hadn't studied the type before even though there was one on the ground at Temora..(can't see everything !).

I was very impressed with the Eurofox quality, and there are many improvements over the Gazelle/skyfox range. The landing-gear is massive, and the cabin very comfortably appointed.

Off again at 1.30pm for the Dingo Roadhouse, where we grabbed some food, and a quick refuel after another quick leg. Off again for Marian near Mackay. The day was cooling and we were slowly but surely loosing the 20 kt tailwind, but still have 12kts or so on the tail all the way into Windsors home strip Marion. Another very quick refuel and off to Townsville where I tucked 'Miss Adventure' into her hangar just after sunset.

I thought I had a small chance of being a legend until attending Temora, where we met some really old proper legends like Neville White, Chris Conroy, and Steve Cohen. We had the pleasure of being at Nevilles' table at the presentation dinner, when for the third time he recieved the best 95.10 award for his lovely Quicksilver GT400. Onya Nevelle you sly old fox !...

I met many new forumites, and was constantly stalked by Biggles and his lovely wife, although Rod stiff was with her on occasions !...?

Even old Yenn was there and recognized me from afar.

I attended several forums and found them very well presented and interesting, especially the one put on by our search and rescue people AMSA. Had the pleasure of finally meeting Ian our site administrator, slarti, pylon 500, Mr H, and many others to numerous to mention.

My 2-stroke forum went well, and was well attended (phew!)...thanks all who attended, and offered questions, I hope I managed to answer them well.

The facilities provided by the Temora council are very nice and impressive...they are in it for the long haul for sure, and the whole thing had an 'Oshkoshy' sort feel to it.

I thought the commercial stalls that were there were well done and imformative, especially Ians' Clear prop tent which was well stocked. We do need to support him more, as he trys real hard despite his current health concerns.

Would I go again ?...certainly !. However right now my cross country flying urges are well satisfied................Maj... 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif012_thumb_up.gif.83e1b5422694a022eec36e1e8343f687.gif012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

(many piccies to follow when time allows download)

I can confirm... Ross you ARE a legend. I gained a lot of very valuable experience.

One thing I will add (didn't mention this)... at Dubbo it was me who drove to get the header fixed... Our mate with the Cirrus was without car license due to a recent 140km/h speeding incident!

Here is a photo of the private shed we visited to fix that exhaust... had to take photos because I reckon nobody would have believed me if I didn't... I am no expert in things mechanical but my jaw hit the ground and stayed there!!!

IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0418.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg

IMAG0420.jpg

IMAG0421.jpg

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0423.jpg

IMAG0424.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

You aren't seeing things... old mate had 2 of everything... and the photos show just the very tip of the iceberg of the motorcycles in that shed...

• Like 4

Hey all, I made my first trip to Natfly from Bathurst along with many others.. I was very impressed with how organised everything was! Temora Unicom, fantastic! Not forgetting Temora ground!

I flew in Jab 7525 a 230D.

I recorded the inbound flight along with Audio from cockpit,

have a listen ,Some of you might hear your callsigns.. My inbound call was at approx 945am on 7th April.

Approach and landing phase Clip is currently uploading, will post link when complete.

David

• Like 2

Nice one Dave... but dang you turned right on the grass for Red parking... thought I might see my bum in front on a postie bike!

You guys heading for red parking did a fine job... at first some of the guys were crossing the strip to guide you... not sure it was a good idea as the it was all very well controlled without putting people at risk crossing runways.... something that I always feel uncomfortable seeing or doing when there was no need.

Mark, i got my camera from Mendolsons , or ozpilot.com in Melbourne, $640 postage worth ringing, or i might be able to get cheaper via CW flying, as they buy from them all the time, let me find out! A good camera, you setup via software, then can also control camera via Blue tooth if camera outside plane. Amazing, also has GPS built in! The camera is 1080p, many different settings as well! Photos, 720 p, 360 mode, low light, audio levels! Very happy, i do have Go Pro HD, but doesnt have the audio socket to plug into cockpit audio..

winsor 68, i have another vid which isnt uploaded, has the finish of the taxiing on grass and shut down .. I certainly enjoyed the experience . Surprising how busy the traffic was, but really how easy it was to fit in and land with plenty of separation, hearing Unicom talking was a blessing, great work everyone!

Dave