3 onboard an Ultralight

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

I'd like to assure you all that 19-4329 was registered, as I did an UACR on the aircraft in August of 2011 for re-registration.

The aircraft was a Savannah Bingo fitted with an HKS twin engine, and 3-blade Duc prop. The aircraft was in good condition and airworthy at that time.

I have nothing to add on the accident itself, other than to say the experienced pilot was operating from a private-property strip which he used often.

I am hoping to visit the owners in hospital this weekend, and I wish them a speedy recovery..

In addition I am also wondering why the RAAus aircraft rego registry can't be kept up to date, maybe our new president Steve Runciman may wish to look at this area when he's done getting everything else up to speed........................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Yes I suspect he'll have some questions to answer....don't look real flash right now.................................Ross

In addition I am also wondering why the RAAus aircraft rego registry can't be kept up to date

Whats shown on the RAAus www is simply a snapshot of the registry taken at a certain point in time. It tells you little about the current state of the database which I'm sure is kept up to date.

Cheers

John

But imagine the damage that could be done by the media looking at the public document on the RA Aus website and seeing the expired rego as at January 2011. If the register was up to date, nothing could be said.

• Like 1

Guest davidh10
...I also think that the staff at RAA are not computer savy, for example when Ian does an update you see the "update in progress" on the web site, on the RAA web site I have never seen that. sounds like RAA HQ needs to either send a staff member to TAFE or employ someone with much more than basic computer skills. We hear about the upgrade of the site but how big is/was this upgrade, even someone part time would make a hugh difference, just one less problem needing fixing.

This site uses "Dynamic HTML", in other words the software has to build every page from templates and data in the database for every page displayed to each requestor. The RAA web site is just a bunch of static pages, so it takes all of one second to update a page and that does not affect other pages being displayed.

Sorry, but the reason you have used to claim lack of computer savvy is invalid.

10,000 members at a dollar each = $10,000, that should pay for a part time IT expert.Any experts on this forum looking for some extra work who live in Canberra?

Am I being too simplistic here.?

Alan.

I volunteered to help with the new web site (the one that is still coming soon!). Both advice and testing... Didn't even get an acknowledgement of the offer.

There's no need to live in Canberra. You can work on these sorts of things from anywhere in the world.

Just a thought.

Everyone here is saying the RAAregister is out of date.

I'm no expert surely the RAA would not be out of date it's not that hard to keep track of.

Is it just that the register we see is out of date.

Next question, isn't it technically a privacy issue to have a register available. Why do we the public need to know whether xx-xxxx aircraft is registered and the next is not. If ur hireing or flying the card should be in a prminant position I believe there is regs for that for all aircraft.

• Like 1

From what I understand the new RAAus website has been taken away from the original developer and is now being handled by an RAAus member who is also a developer of a well known EFB. Hopefully, if the aircraft register is on some sort of database, it should be easy for any developer to have an easy system for staff to update the website register weekly or daily.

Hopefully, if the aircraft register is on some sort of database, it should be easy for any developer to have an easy system for staff to update the website register weekly or daily.

I hate these IT gurus who tell you that you have to have a whizz-bang database with bells and whistles, when in fact, all you need is a simple spereadsheet based listing using something like MS-Excel. I can run inventory, billing, banking and BAS systems using one Excel workbook with as many worksheets as required. Plus it's easy to find stuff using +

OME

Guest davidh10

If we are going to debate the RAA Aircraft Register, I suggest another thread. In addition, it should be on the other site.

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

I'm a big fan of this site and most ppl that post on here.

Some ppl really need to pull there heads in and get em out of the clouds.

Time and time again on this site ppl go running off on ideas that are just abslolute crap!!!!

This particular topic started as a report of an aircraft down turned into a debate whether that aircraft was

registered then went on to bag the pilot for flying out of registration then went on to bag the RAA for not keeping a register which none of us need is up to date.

There is only one person that needs to know if an aircraft is registered and that is the pilot and he can find all the information he needs when doing his daily walk around.

If the owner chooses not to register his aircraft that is his call. The pilot is the one that makes the call whether to fly.

The only issue that has come out of this incident is 3POB.

Basically I am saying ppl need to get shit straight before ranting. Bagging out the RAA is gonna get u know where especially when its about a database that has nothing to do with them.

Well thats my thoughts. If someone can give me a valid reason why we need the register in the first place I will gladly retract.

And appoligies for language some things i believe warrant the use.

Cheers, out

• Like 1

You need a register to keep track of current aircraft.

The register is basically a stock control database and anyone will tell you they are notoriously hard to keep on track unless meticulously handled.

It appears that sloppy work on the website data caused people to make what were legitimate criticisms at the time.

Guest Maj Millard

My gut feeling is that the RAAus office does keep a current list of all regos and current pilot certificates. In fact I'm sure they would, and I know the officers in the field do carry up-to-date lists on their laptops.

No doubt lists like this would need to be updated, or changed daily, and I'm sure this just doesn't get transferred to the website listing as often as it should.

As demonstrated in this case, we should in the future just not assume that the website listings are up to date I suppose........................................................................Ross...062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

".................... Well thats my thoughts. If someone can give me a valid reason why we need the register in the first place I will gladly retract...................."

Gidday rage 83 ,

Essentially we register our aircraft because its the law , which is the same reason we register our boats , cars , caravans etc.

This is the applicable section of the Commonwealth Civil Aviation Act 1988 ..................

20AA Flying unregistered aircraft etc.

Flying an unregistered aircraft

(1) A person must not fly an aircraft within Australian territory if:

(a) the aircraft is not registered under the regulations; and

(b) the aircraft is, under this Act or those regulations, required to be registered under those regulations.

Penalty: Imprisonment for 2 years.

Bob

Guest Maj Millard

On a slightly lighter note, I have just returned from visiting our friends who were in the Bingo prang on Thursday. It's only been a couple of days but they are doing well, although still dealing with the immediate aftermath (pyhsically and mentally) of something like that. There's no doubt they were very lucky.

Myself and another forum member will visit again tomorrow. I was in a similiar position after an aircraft accident many years ago, and I know too well the value of a visit and a friendly face at this stage of their recovery. ......................................................Ross...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I fully understand that but that's not my point. Why should I have access to the register to find out if someone else's aircraft is registered. To me that's an invasion of privacy.

Oops sorry 'rage 83', I read it as "need to register" rather than " need the register "

Bob

On a slightly lighter note, I have just returned from visiting our friends who were in the Bingo prang on Thursday. It's only been a couple of days but they are doing well, although still dealing with the immediate aftermath (pyhsically and mentally) of something like that. There's no doubt they were very lucky.Myself and another forum member will visit again tomorrow. I was in a similiar position after an aircraft accident many years ago, and I know too well the value of a visit and a friendly face at this stage of their recovery. ......................................................Ross...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Ross

Thanks for the update. Wishes of a best speed recovery for them. I visit on Monday when I'm in town overnight with work.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1