Jabiru nose wheel suspension bush (yellow type)

Ian Burdon

Does anyone else have this problem?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Does anyone else have this problem?

The suspension bush collapsed without warning during the runup check about 3 weeks ago,causing the prop to contact the ground. Not happy:( Another pilot from my area heard of my misfortune and checked his ac. It looked ok until he poked and proded a little and then it fell to bits.We have both lodged SDR's with RA-Aus. Have had less than poor response from the Buisness Manager of Jabiru. She seems to want to blame me for not inspecting propperly but this is not the case. AC have always been stored in a hangar and well maintained. An email from their spares dept told me "the red bushes are better quality, and the yellow ones appear to wear out after a period of time." Thanks for nothing!!! I thought they were supposed to warn pilots of this in a Service Bulletin. I'm just lucky this did'nt happen on T/O or landing. I also had a passenger at the time. I don't want this to happen to someone else so have created this thread. Does anyone physically check their suspension? Apparently your supposed to although I can't find mention of it in the Flight Manual or Technical Manual or on their website.

• Like 1

Good post Ian, any post that may possibly save someone from potential grief, has to be a good one in my eyes.

I'm sure you will get responses from others after they've checked their aircraft.

Kind Regards

Planey

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

I had a yellow one fail on my J230, I replaced it with a red one at J's suggestion. I also took photos of the failed yellow one and sent them into RAA Tech manager but never saw or heard anything further. At the time, I said to the RAA team, this will cause a prop strike.......

Just a few weeks porior to it failing I had a stuck needle in the carby with the net result that quite a bit of avgas leaked onto the floor via the nosewheel and suspension. When it failed I assumed the failure was due exposure to Avgas....may be that they just fail with age.

I recomend that anyone who cant see their suspension due older style nose wheel spat (which coves the suspension) have a good look immediately and anyone else who can see it, if its yellow look for cracking. I posted on this site about it earlier see here,http://www.recreationalflying.com/posts/104289 and note that was in request to another person claiming failure of yellow suspension.... /

Andy

Thanks planey.

People need to know of this problem now not when Jabiru have, quote "done their investigations." Judging on their email to me they definitely knew there was a problem with the bush. There is no time or cycle limitations on it. Mine is a 2002 year kit. Compleated in 2004. About 400 landings. Always hangared. The other was older, I'm not sure by how much. The bush looked fine on the outside and was still quite hard, but was like crumbly cheese on the inside. Anyone with these bushes definetly needs to change them. You would not want this to happen espessially on T/O as you have full power and landing wouldnot be much better. I will post a picture of it if I can work out how. I've Just Landed and am still finding my way [:{)

The pic won't upload as it exceeds the limit. I'll try putting it on my avitar.

Cheers to you. Ian.

Guest Andys@coffs

Ian

Just look at the link I posted earlier, I have photos of the failed one in my aircraft, I would be suprised if yours was any different

Andy

Hey Andy, thanks for the reply. They should have listened to you. No avgas leak this end. RA-Aus have a sample so we'll see what happens. This was about 3weeks ago. I was told there were no other failures. I'll check out that post. I wish I had found this website earlier. Sounds like someone doesn't like canned worms.

Ian.

OK. I posted http://www.recreationalflying.com/posts/104289/ in 2010 after I was made aware of it in our shop. I don't know if it was reported to RAA then, as that task is not part of my job (I'm not an L2 or LAME) Now there are other reports and Jabiru has not sent out any SB or AD.

I'm beginning to get the impression that the Jabiru business is imploding and they don't know how to stop it happening.

OME

I suppose it would be a bit much to ask someone from the RAA Executive who might be following this conversation to make a phone call to the Head Office tomorrow and ask what the RAA has done about these reports.

OME

• Like 1

Ian

Sorry to hear you had to find out about the bushes the hard way.

I bought my Jabiru SP6 back in September 2009. I am fortunate enough to live in Bundaberg so i have always had one of the Jabiru guys carry out my 100 hourly services.

It was first registered in 2001 and had 560 hours on it when i bought it. During the 700 hr service back in 2010 they recommended we change front susspension bushes as well as doing the Main leg bolt upgrade, replace the rubbers and the seat belt mount position change. I do recall him saying something at that time about the Yellow bushes weren't as good as the red bushes that the now use. This was all done and i guess this has saved me from experiencing what you have just gone through.

The plane is going well with over 1000 hrs now and i will continue to have the 100hr services done at Jabiru just for the added piece of mind that if they are aware of any issues they will address it on my aircraft straight away.

Cheers

Andrew

(JabSP6)

IanSorry to hear you had to find out about the bushes the hard way.

I bought my Jabiru SP6 back in September 2009. I am fortunate enough to live in Bundaberg so i have always had one of the Jabiru guys carry out my 100 hourly services.

It was first registered in 2001 and had 560 hours on it when i bought it. During the 700 hr service back in 2010 they recommended we change front susspension bushes as well as doing the Main leg bolt upgrade, replace the rubbers and the seat belt mount position change. I do recall him saying something at that time about the Yellow bushes weren't as good as the red bushes that the now use. This was all done and i guess this has saved me from experiencing what you have just gone through.

The plane is going well with over 1000 hrs now and i will continue to have the 100hr services done at Jabiru just for the added piece of mind that if they are aware of any issues they will address it on my aircraft straight away.

Cheers

Andrew

(JabSP6)

Thanks for the reply Andrew. I still think it is a good ac. Just would like some better service from Jabiru. I was offered a new prop at 1/2 price but did not take the offer at first and now they wont discount at all. The ac has already lost money on resale price as it doesn't have a clean record anymore. If I lived closer I would be knocking on their door. Maybe I could come up your way for a holiday and drop in and visit the manager instead of sending emails and getting no reply.Cheers to you. Ian.

Ian

I'm happy to show you around the place anytime if you plan on coming this way.

There are some great things to see here with the beaches so close hervey bay just around the corner and Fraiser Island about 25 mins in the jab from here. Not to forget the home of the Bundy Rum.

Let me know if i can be of any assistance.

Cheers

Andrew

IanSorry to hear you had to find out about the bushes the hard way.

Cheers

Andrew

(JabSP6)

Andrew ,

Has the engine done 1000 hrs also ?

Bob

Bob

The motor was in poor condition when i bought it using around 200mls/hr (stuck rings in Pistons). It had a top end rebuild at 580 hrs.

I then suffered a no.2 exhaust valve head separation from the valve stem at around 650 hrs. This was mainly due to finding out afterwards that it was running too hot and too lean on a few cylinders. My factory temp gauge on no.6 always showed good temps. I then carried out a full rebuilt including new fine finned heads, Nickasil coated standard barrels (experiment), stainless valves, Full Egt and Cht monitoring of engine fitted etc etc and by around 750 hrs found excessive blowby . This was due to the valve guides being worn/oversize and the nickasil coating coming off the barrells (experiment didn't work). So at 750 hrs i again fully stripped the motor, New Pistons, New Barrels, new K liner inserts fitted to the heads, Ceramic coating etc. I sorted out heating issues and carby issues and now all temps are excellent. CHT's around 110 - 120 C down the hole in the head between the plugs. EGT's around 680 - 700 F at cruise and 620 - 650 F full power. I have now done 1008 hrs total time on airframe with 258 hrs on the latest rebuild and all signs are looking good. No oil usage between service intervals and 72 - 76 / 80 at the 1000hr service done 2 weeks ago.

Cheers

Andrew

BobThe motor was in poor condition when i bought it using around 200mls/hr (stuck rings in Pistons). It had a top end rebuild at 580 hrs.

I then suffered a no.2 exhaust valve head separation from the valve stem at around 650 hrs. This was mainly due to finding out afterwards that it was running too hot and too lean on a few cylinders. My factory temp gauge on no.6 always showed good temps. I then carried out a full rebuilt including new fine finned heads, Nickasil coated standard barrels (experiment), stainless valves, Full Egt and Cht monitoring of engine fitted etc etc and by around 750 hrs found excessive blowby . This was due to the valve guides being worn/oversize and the nickasil coating coming off the barrells (experiment didn't work). So at 750 hrs i again fully stripped the motor, New Pistons, New Barrels, new K liner inserts fitted to the heads, Ceramic coating etc. I sorted out heating issues and carby issues and now all temps are excellent. CHT's around 110 - 120 C down the hole in the head between the plugs. EGT's around 680 - 700 F at cruise and 620 - 650 F full power. I have now done 1008 hrs total time on airframe with 258 hrs on the latest rebuild and all signs are looking good. No oil usage between service intervals and 72 - 76 / 80 at the 1000hr service done 2 weeks ago.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for the offer Andrew. A little busy this time of the year though.Hi Bob, if you have the yellows I would be chucking them. Mine went when I had just completed a u turn on the black stuff. They looked fine when I did the DI. Bye. Ian.

The suspension bush collapsed without warning during the runup check about 3 weeks ago,causing the prop to contact the ground. Not happy:( Another pilot from my area heard of my misfortune and checked his ac. It looked ok until he poked and proded a little and then it fell to bits.We have both lodged SDR's with RA-Aus. Have had less than poor response from the Buisness Manager of Jabiru. She seems to want to blame me for not inspecting propperly but this is not the case. AC have always been stored in a hangar and well maintained. An email from their spares dept told me "the red bushes are better quality, and the yellow ones appear to wear out after a period of time." Thanks for nothing!!! I thought they were supposed to warn pilots of this in a Service Bulletin. I'm just lucky this did'nt happen on T/O or landing. I also had a passenger at the time. I don't want this to happen to someone else so have created this thread.Does anyone physically check their suspension? Apparently your supposed to although I can't find mention of it in the Flight Manual or Technical Manual or on their website.

There were indeed a batch of yellow suspension rubbers that did not last the first full power run. This was flagged up and many owners in the UK changed to the red rubbers that were being used for the larger 4 seater aircraft.

Going back a bit, the first suspension was made up of individual black rubbers identical to the top rubber suspension. These were sandwiched together with aluminium washers and locktite. They did the job but started cracking (just like the top rubber) after long exposure to the weather. The first batch of yellow nylon rubbers lasted quite well and only failed after a heavy landing.

There is of course no excuse for not recalling these poor quality yellow rubbers but owners also have the responsibility to preflight the nose leg assembly and if this is done properly, the failing rubber will show up. Put your foot on the nosewheel tyre and pull down on the propeller flange and inspect the rubber. If they dont hold their shape then change it.

There were indeed a batch of yellow suspension rubbers that did not last the first full power run. This was flagged up and many owners in the UK changed to the red rubbers that were being used for the larger 4 seater aircraft.Going back a bit, the first suspension was made up of individual black rubbers identical to the top rubber suspension. These were sandwiched together with aluminium washers and locktite. They did the job but started cracking (just like the top rubber) after long exposure to the weather. The first batch of yellow nylon rubbers lasted quite well and only failed after a heavy landing.

There is of course no excuse for not recalling these poor quality yellow rubbers but owners also have the responsibility to preflight the nose leg assembly and if this is done properly, the failing rubber will show up. Put your foot on the nosewheel tyre and pull down on the propeller flange and inspect the rubber. If they dont hold their shape then change it.

No heavy landings this end.Ac has done just over 200hrs and ALWAYS hangared.

What year were these defect rubbers installed and why wern't pilots in Australia as well informed as those in the UK? The procedure you describe would be difficult to perform unless you had another pair of eyes behind the nose wheel to inspect for cracking.

The other pilot that I know of had just performed a 100 hourly and had checked this area thoroughly.

When he heard of my problem he inspected again and saw some very small cracks. When proded lightly the rubber failed.

Where did you find out about the preflight procedure for the nose leg?

You seem to be quite knowledgable on this subject. Thanks for the reply Roger. Ian.

Guest Andys@coffs
There were indeed a batch of yellow suspension rubbers that did not last the first full power run. This was flagged up and many owners in the UK changed to the red rubbers that were being used for the larger 4 seater aircraft. Going back a bit, the first suspension was made up of individual black rubbers identical to the top rubber suspension. These were sandwiched together with aluminium washers and locktite. They did the job but started cracking (just like the top rubber) after long exposure to the weather. The first batch of yellow nylon rubbers lasted quite well and only failed after a heavy landing.

Which is possibly fine unless there is a spat fitted. If the older type spat then you can't see the suspension

Andy

Thanks for the offer Andrew. A little busy this time of the year though.Hi Bob, if you have the yellows I would be chucking them. Mine went when I had just completed a u turn on the black stuff. They looked fine when I did the DI. Bye. Ian.

G'day Ian,

Thanks for that , but my nosewheel compression rubbers are red , so no problems , however anybody that has a yellow one , would be well advised to replace it asap . It is a fairly straight forward job , but you will need a strong vice to hold the forks and a long strong iron bar to use as a lever to compress the rubbers . It is really a two man job , so you are not too sure leave it to the experts .

Bob