any info on the SUPERCAT/BOBCAT?any good?

flyerme

just put a deposit down on a supercat with a 447 rotax currently reg and will be flown home but been finding hard to get any info and reviews on these aircraft? any help very nuch appreciated.

p.s Ive always had a love affair with the supercat as it resembles my altimate plane THE "AT-802" (AIR TRACTOR)

• Like 1

Blue red and yellow one on ebay by any chance? There was one (3 were built in gladstone in the 80's) left at Rodds Bay when i started flying in 99' Yenn might be able to give you some contact details for the owner/builder of that one who is very knowledgeable

yep, that'll be her. been watching it for 7 months ,watching the price ever so slowly drop made a couple of offers in that time but ended buying the lil thruster..went and checked it out (only 20 mins away)

looks good,strong, all working,runs smooth(new prop),radio,rego,, put in an offer and she all mine. but how dose she fly? can I put her down easy on my 300 mtr strip?

any info please.

• Like 2

should mention have NOT put a deposit down, antill I sat mourn, so no commitment

Greetings Flyerme As you have a bit of time prior to inspection, I'd suggest you canvas fellow RecFlying 'forumites' on these pages as whether any of us have specific information on that particular aircraft. You wouldn't go amiss by posting it's RAA rego Nr (I can't make it out in the ebay photo) and current whereabouts with a general query about "who knows what?" with regards it's background/current state. Unless it's been flown solely off a private strip all it's life, someone is bound to know something about it's history and flying record. Despite there being some 10,000 RAA members around Oz, recreational aviation is a pretty small world and, because we're always talking aircraft, there ain't a lot of secrets. Have fun & good luck. Cheers Riley

• Like 2

This reminds me of the Javelin forsale on Ebay.(I used to be a part owner in one nearly twenty years ago). Anyway It was for sale for about about 14K. I asked a friend of mine who is on this site his thoughts, which where the same as mine as what it is worth. So I sent a message to the bloke, saying "you are kidding mate, at best it is worth about 5K with the trailer". Anyway it is for sale now for $4200 I think with no bids.

Disclamer- this has nothing to do with the supercat/bobcat forsale.It looks like a good price. I thought I better share this , because some people ask WAY to much for their aircraft.Do research.Sorry Flyme, I have Hi jacked your thread,I have looked at the advert, and to me sounds good.I live in QLD so to far for me to look at it, if down the road I would have given it a serious though of buying it .

This reminds me of the Javelin forsale on Ebay.(I used to be a part owner in one nearly twenty years ago). Anyway It was for sale for about about 14K. I asked a friend of mine who is on this site his thoughts, which where the same as mine as what it is worth. So I sent a message to the bloke, saying "you are kidding mate, at best it is worth about 5K with the trailer". Anyway it is for sale now for $4200 I think with no bids.Disclamer- this has nothing to do with the supercat/bobcat forsale.It looks like a good price. I thought I better share this , because some people ask WAY to much for their aircraft.Do research.Sorry Flyme, I have Hi jacked your thread,I have looked at the advert, and to me sounds good.I live in QLD so to far for me to look at it, if down the road I would have given it a serious though of buying it .

Hey Dazza,yeh I seen that javelin on there about 12 months back with $4800 on it and it didn,t sell and back on again..I ve been watching this supercat on ebay for 7 months ,made a few offers and finnally agreed on a price$6**0,00,it all looks the goods but you know what they say...too good to be true!!!!!!

• Like 2

There were 3 Supercats built at Rodds Bay.

One was crashed but is in the process of being re built locally. The other two were sold and left the area. I doubt that the one referred to here is one of those built here as I think they both had Rotax 502 engines. I can't remember the rego no's.

The two surviving aircraft were built by people who have moved away from the area, but the builder of the crashed one is still here. I don't think any of them use this forum, but I am in contact with two of them, if you have any specific questions they may be able to get in touch.

I never flew any of them, but they were good performers,

it did have a 502 in it and was replaced with a 447......Ive heard mixed reviews? some say the design won a few awards and is an excellent all round performer suited to short rough strips,but then i've heard they had pitch problems? so I want to know if this is going to be suited to my needs, ie...short rough strip handle the wind ,alway blowing around 8 knotts and have no unwanted suprises.......I like my planes predictable ...

• Like 1

Is the crashed one the green and white one which ditched into trees after takeoff? If so, I have a series of photos from the owner when it was last for sale. Really nice little machine and well priced also from memory. Can post the photos if anyone is interested in what a nice one looks or looked like.

Is the crashed one the green and white one which ditched into trees after takeoff? If so, I have a series of photos from the owner when it was last for sale. Really nice little machine and well priced also from memory. Can post the photos if anyone is interested in what a nice one looks or looked like.

well im def interested..yeh post on this thread so we can chech it out

take it easy

Greetings Flyerme As you have a bit of time prior to inspection, I'd suggest you canvas fellow RecFlying 'forumites' on these pages as whether any of us have specific information on that particular aircraft. You wouldn't go amiss by posting it's RAA rego Nr (I can't make it out in the ebay photo) and current whereabouts with a general query about "who knows what?" with regards it's background/current state. Unless it's been flown solely off a private strip all it's life, someone is bound to know something about it's history and flying record. Despite there being some 10,000 RAA members around Oz, recreational aviation is a pretty small world and, because we're always talking aircraft, there ain't a lot of secrets. Have fun & good luck. Cheers Riley

pretty sure its reg is 19 - 9174

update,hmm bit sus..he can,t find the log book,and says its some where in the hanger? ha claims he called RAA and was told to have a stat deck signed,? he has still not found the log book

i am awaiting his call to go back out tomorrow (im not comitted as only put a $50 deposit so no big loss..)it suggested I say "if you fly it !..... I'll but it! ", if he's willing to put her in a curcuit im willing to fly her home.

we'll see tomorrow reg is 19 - 0174 but still can't find it anywhere. this maybe why he can,t sell it.....Im starting to think it may be chinese = looks strong and pretty on the outside but really made of spegetti & tissue paper....

well hmm I, definatly don't want that on my consience,if he goes down,, ill slowly and slighly walk away and claim I was never there..... ..oh after I check if his alright of coarse.....lol

we'll see how it all pans out..

• Like 1

well hmm I, definatly don't want that on my consience,if he goes down,, ill slowly and slighly walk away and claim I was never there..... ..oh after I check if his alright of coarse.....lolwe'll see how it all pans out..

I would't worry too much as Super Cats always land on their feet. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Alan.

• Like 2

From what I have seen of their flying ability, they are not hard to fly and can certainly handle in excess of 8kts of cross wind. The pilots who I know who have flown them have never had any handling problems with them and believe me, one of those pilots would have told me if there had ever been the slightest problem, as we have had many a discussion about all types of flying.

yea me...I bought it.....the owner Chris is more than happy to fly it although he said he may stay up a while..lol he has also marked with orange cones 300 meters to repersent my strip and has gained permission to store the plane for up to 2weeks while I do curcuit work there before flying 24 N M home and attemp to try and stop her(no brakes ) on my strip...quitly confordent.....

thank you every one for your help and advise...