1954 De Havilland Vampire

Guest Maj Millard

You could be the ONLY guy in Cecil Plains building a vampire.!!..................................................Maj.....hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

Yup, I reckon it was expensive when I came across it a few days ago.Although that would be a drop in the ocean to the total cost of restoring it to a airworthy status. It would burn a massive hole in somebodies bank account.

Just some additional information.

Delivered 1954. Purchased for £45,000. Noted in Navy service still wearing A79-840. We are told that it also wore N6-840. Coded 928 and 958 between 1954-58. Coded 804 from 1963 on. This aircraft is unusual in that although it was largely modified from T.34 to T.34A standard, it retained the original style of fin (and tailplane end-fairings) rather than the gently curving filleted type that the T.34As shared with the RAAF T.35s and T.35As. Withdrawn and reduced to spares 07/06/65. Remains sold 14/07/71 or 15/10/70 for $100 to Mr Parnell of Melton VIC, representing the Fogarty Flying Club. It was lacking ejection seats and instruments. On display Ballarat Aviation Museum Vic 1992. Owned by P Crowther of Ballarat. Noted at the rear of the Museum in 2002 without its tail. Acquired by Evan Campbell at Nhill, Vic.

Currently offered for sale on EBay.

Hi Turbo,

No got in and fixed it how it should have been in the first place, it had one of the "early" "maxerett" anti skid brakes, never worked properly, always after deck landings spent days trying to get the puckered steel deck back into shape, ha, ha.

Going through the list of "crashed" venoms was like a reunion of sorts, very sobering though, knew most of those pilots and most of the venoms in great detail. Those were the days when everyone was bulletproof.

Bob.

Hi Turbo, oh yes, maybe we should merge this thread with the cought short thead,ha ha.

This project would be a very expensive one, I know a reco engine 2 years ago in the USA cost $1M, then the conversion to electric start, the Navy aircraft did not have the benifit of that, can not see being able to get the "Coffmann" cardridges made now. I could see a couple of issues just from the photos on ebay that are months and months of work to fix.

As well do not know the condition of the plywood cockpit area either?

Bob.

By the way ... we will have two Vampires at the Tyabb airshow on the 4th March. One duel seat doing an air display and a single seater on the viewing line.

Both very nice examples of an incredible aircraft.

Cheers

Vev

Hi,

Thanks Vev, I will be down there that week, must go and look at them, as long as "she" is sent off shopping, my wife has had her fill of "stinky jet aircraft" I will be in Frankstone then.

Bob.

Guest Maj Millard

He could, we'd also have to get a yellow J3 cub in the movie somewhere, maybe he could scour the world in it looking for the missing Vampire parts !.....hell I'm first in line at the box office already. Just can't wait for the scene where Tomo does multiple barrel rolls right above Cecil plains itself, with his girlfriend beside him, while the poor old Cub sits in the hangar below completly worn out !!.....watch out Top Gun and Matt Hall !.............................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif