Would you fly a Quicksilver?

winsor68

"Once upon a time, when the ultralight industry wasn’t even an industry, Quicksilver sold more aircraft in one year than Cessna, Piper, and Beechcraft

combined!

Yes, you read it right. Quicksilver sold more of its simple little aircraft than all three giants of the general aviation (GA) industry."

http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com.au/Quicksilver_Articles.html

So... say you went to a flying school and this was online for $80 an hour... next to the plastics at $150 an hour... What would you choose for keeping your skills current?

Yes Don.Quicksliver have made thousands of ultralights since the start.They are a strong aircraft.( I know you already know this.Just putting my 2 cents in for people new to this sport.)Currency is a issue, as Jabirus and Quicksilvers are totally different.There is a big difference between HP and LP.I have only flown HP lately. Over 15 years ago was the last LP I flew.I would have to get back up to speed flying ultralight type aeroplanes.
  • Haha 1

They are the Cub of the ultralight world... ?Cost a fraction of even a Jabiru... 45 knots cruise... stall at 28knots without flap... and that big control stick in between the seats...

Hence Dazza's wise injunction regarding calm conditions.

I flew down to Point Cook (RAAF Williams) today ... just after the Roulettes were doing their beatup over the Shrine. A strong southerly was blowing but there was also considerable thermal activity, so it was gusty and bumpy on my return to Coldstream in the lee of the Dandenongs.

The high windsock was almost straight out, say 15 knots straight down the strip. The low windsock was 20-30 degrees off and about 5 knots. I came over the trees on the fenceline with about 50 feet to spare and fell into a marvelous hole in the air -- windshear! I was doing about 45 knots one second and about 25 the next. BIG push on the throttle and went round to try again.

Auster: 26 knot stall with full flap, 36' wings, low inertia. Gusty, variable wind conditions = Watch Out!

kaz

PS Love the BIG grass areas at YMPC where you could land in any direction if you had to... an airfield designed for Austers. The museum is a great visit but no food or drink to be purchased anywhere. PPR.

Hence Dazza's wise injunction regarding calm conditions.I flew down to Point Cook (RAAF Williams) today ... just after the Roulettes were doing their beatup over the Shrine. A strong southerly was blowing but there was also considerable thermal activity, so it was gusty and bumpy on my return to Coldstream in the lee of the Dandenongs.

The high windsock was almost straight out, say 15 knots straight down the strip. The low windsock was 20-30 degrees off and about 5 knots. I came over the trees on the fenceline with about 50 feet to spare and fell into a marvelous hole in the air -- windshear! I was doing about 45 knots one second and about 25 the next. BIG push on the throttle and went round to try again.

Auster: 26 knot stall with full flap, 36' wings, low inertia. Gusty, variable wind conditions = Watch Out!

kaz

PS Love the BIG grass areas at YMPC where you could land in any direction if you had to... an airfield designed for Austers. The museum is a great visit but no food or drink to be purchased anywhere. PPR.

This is not what you would be doing with a Quicksilver... it would be nice flights at 1000 feet along beaches when the weather was cooperative...

Now... I figure you can buy a new one for about $25000 according to the website (2 seat struck braced)... sure you can't travel anywhere more than 50 or so miles in any direction but its is not designed for that... Remember that is $25000 for the aircraft... operating costs? $60 per hour (based upon new motor after 250 hours and fuel? Does that sound right?)

I believe insurance can be tricky with these types of aircraft? Is this a sticking point?

Given that you could buy 4 aircraft and some spare engines for the price of one typical LSA is there anything stopping these sorts of aircraft being online for hire at say $80 per hour? Surely there would be a market for this?

Winsor, most people now want a plastic fantastic. They are after speed and distance. Quicksilvers and other open frame aircraft are normally used for the sheer love of flying. They dont seem to have, except for some diehards, the look or "kudos" of a "real" aircraft that a lot of people seem to need these days. I am sure Pud, myself and quite a few others would quite happily take any spares off your hands if you are giving them away:smile:. I don't think insurance for the private owner is a big deal but you may be right about the insurance on a leased aircraft.

I think there is a lot more of us out there than you think robinsm... but the big plus is there are a LOT of potential pilots too... people who want to fly for the sheer fun of it but don't want to invest $100 000... that is 90% of the population.